Rushton50

Filing in November

4 posts in this topic

Over the past years this site has helped my wife and I through the process and this year we start the final journey to through N-400. Thanks to all who contributed!

We have been busy building our lives and working hard to get settled into the home of our dreams, working hard to climb the career ladder and although I am way past the five year rule for eligibility

I have exactly 1 year left on my GC and decided that perhaps now we deal with USCIS for the final time, but first want to go home again as its been at least 6-7 years and thanks to Covid, was unable to go in that time.

So with that being said I have a few questions;

• DVLA question. I have tried to contact them many times regarding any and all motoring convictions going back to 1981 when I had my provisional license and once applied for my drivers record, but nothing showed up on there at all and I know I had at least 2 speeding fines and one under my provisional license...( 41 years ago I moved a vehicle  from where it was bought to my house, stupid I know, would have been only 17 at the time, no excuse!, but couldn't get no one to move it for me so was pulled over by police, no insurance, not MOT no accompanied driver and not a full license) So my drivers record shows nothing. Is there a specific department people have used to get the exact information? If I have to make a long distance call or even call them when I get back to the UK I will as I need to get documentation for proof that it was all taken care of after court decision , which I pled guilty and was allowed to do an absent plea, the fine at the time was I believe under $500 , but getting the info to be sure would be great. 

• My one and only speeding ticket while living here was back in 2012, I assume that the local clerk to the courthouse is where I need to get info on that ticket?

• Residence history...Are they looking for the last 5 years or as far back since moving here? I ask as dates are not my strongpoint and trying to piece together now, each place we lived in the pas 11 years. Filed the AR-11 each time so know they will know exact dates.
  • Travel history...Same as above, last 5 years? or since moving here ,  Can get most of them by using entry stamps of countries & return stamps of CBP, but not always stamped in the holiday destinations we visited.

I think that's all for now, hoping to file by 2nd November online. 

Thanks in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

I had my interview a few weeks ago and noted some speeding tickets and driving with an expired tag, the fines were minor and the officer was surprised I even listed them. In your case I would say just list them on the application and give an explanation of them.

Regarding your issue from 41 years ago, if there was no jail time involved then this probably more of a traffic citation and at that point not much of a concern I think.

Regarding the Residence and Travel History, I think the application lists specifically 5 years, so this is all you need to worry about. This is just to make sure that you need the physical presence and residence requirements to file the N400.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/12/2022 at 5:37 AM, bswt2 said:

I had my interview a few weeks ago and noted some speeding tickets and driving with an expired tag, the fines were minor and the officer was surprised I even listed them. In your case I would say just list them on the application and give an explanation of them.

Regarding your issue from 41 years ago, if there was no jail time involved then this probably more of a traffic citation and at that point not much of a concern I think.

Regarding the Residence and Travel History, I think the application lists specifically 5 years, so this is all you need to worry about. This is just to make sure that you need the physical presence and residence requirements to file the N400.

And that sort of irks me. Why list things if they are not needed. The form could have a separate question for traffic matters, such as:

1) Have you in the past 5 years been cited by LE?

a) Was the fine above 500$?

c) Were you detained as a result?

b) Has the fine been paid off? -  If yes, submit a copy of fine payment receipt. 

This should not even be an item to discuss with the IO if there isnt any red flag.

Edited by Mobius1

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.