EternalWait

NVC Case transfer **after** DQ'd

28 posts in this topic

Hello,

When my case (which is not a K visa) is DQ'd at NVC, and still waiting for the interview letter, if I were to request a change of the CO to another that has a much shorter waittime, then assuming the request is approved:

1) would my interview be still scheduled according to my original DQ time, or is my DQ time reset?

2) Would my place in the queue for the interview at the new CO be as if I had chosen that CO from the beginning?

3) Also, since the case is still at NVC, this transfer should happen rather quickly, right? like a few days after approval? (It's just a case number being changed?)

Sorry if these are easy questions :( but I couldn't find their answer on the NVC website.

It makes sense to me that the DQ date shouldn't be reset, so that I can benefit from the shorter waittime, but I wanna make sure. Thanks a lot!

Edited by immishok

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

You cannot just transfer embassies.  The beneficiary needs to have valid status in the new country, and if the beneficiary is not a resident there the embassy has to agree to the transfer.

Typically you will be added to the queue for interview at the new embassy - they will not jump your place ahead of others already waiting there.

@SteveInBostonI130 Thank you for the reply. I am the applicant and sole beneficiary (this is an Eb2-NIW case). I have also citizenship in the country that the gaining CO has jurisdiction over. So I am aware of these requirements, and I do satisfy them.

NVC says they schedule people according to their DQ date and visa category, unless there is an expedite request.

If my DQ date is not reset, you are saying that I will still be sent to the last on the queue of my visa category for the gaining CO?

Edited by immishok

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cameroon
Timeline
On 9/27/2022 at 9:10 PM, immishok said:

@SteveInBostonI130 Thank you for the reply. I am the applicant and sole beneficiary (this is an Eb2-NIW case). I have also citizenship in the country that the gaining CO has jurisdiction over. So I am aware of these requirements, and I do satisfy them.

NVC says they schedule people according to their DQ date and visa category, unless there is an expedite request.

If my DQ date is not reset, you are saying that I will still be sent to the last on the queue of my visa category for the gaining CO?

NVC bases interviews on first come first serve. So If got transfer you would take priority or the interview if you DQ was earlier than others at the transferred CO

Edited by Franknessa
Typo

9 minutes ago, Franknessa said:

NVC bases interviews on first come first serve. So If got transfer you would take priority or the interview if you DQ was earlier than others at the transferred CO

Thank you for your insight on this. That's my reading of the rules as well, as described on the website. To be sure however, I have submitted a public inquiry asking specifically my question. I will get the answer early December if not sooner given current NVC timeframes.  I will post NVC's response here when I get it.

• 1 month later...

My lawyer and myself separately asked NVC through the public inquiry channel . For both inquiries NVC was unable to understand the question! They replied with a completely irrelevant answer (first time they said my case is yet to arrive at NVC, second time they said we can't change your venue because you didn't provide proof of residence; lol! we never even asked for that!). So anyways, I couldn't get a guarantee from the NVC that the DQ date is the only criteria.

However, my lawyer says that they have conducted additional research on this based on previous cases that they have handled the consulate transfer request, and now they are pretty confident that the DQ date is the only thing that is considered when scheduling the interview, even after a venue transfer.

So I think based on the data that's available, the most likely answer to my question is what I thought : Barring some extreme cases/scenarios, it's just the DQ date that matters, and you don't get sent to the end of the line if you change your consulate.

On 12/7/2022 at 10:06 AM, immishok said:

My lawyer and myself separately asked NVC through the public inquiry channel . For both inquiries NVC was unable to understand the question! They replied with a completely irrelevant answer (first time they said my case is yet to arrive at NVC, second time they said we can't change your venue because you didn't provide proof of residence; lol! we never even asked for that!). So anyways, I couldn't get a guarantee from the NVC that the DQ date is the only criteria.

However, my lawyer says that they have conducted additional research on this based on previous cases that they have handled the consulate transfer request, and now they are pretty confident that the DQ date is the only thing that is considered when scheduling the interview, even after a venue transfer.

So I think based on the data that's available, the most likely answer to my question is what I thought : Barring some extreme cases/scenarios, it's just the DQ date that matters, and you don't get sent to the end of the line if you change your consulate.

Just wanted to confirm this further: I joined a very large group on Telegram of applicants who are or have gone through this process until the end. All attest to the fact that the DQ date is the only thing that matters. So now I feel pretty confident of this answer.

13 hours ago, immishok said:

Just wanted to confirm this further: I joined a very large group on Telegram of applicants who are or have gone through this process until the end. All attest to the fact that the DQ date is the only thing that matters. So now I feel pretty confident of this answer.

@immishok I was looking for this info too. Thanks for the detailed answers here.

Also can I get the link to the telegram group. Would love to join it too. Thanks !

7 hours ago, JustHopeful said:

@immishok I was looking for this info too. Thanks for the detailed answers here.

Also can I get the link to the telegram group. Would love to join it too. Thanks !

No problem. The group is made of Iranians speaking Persian, who have three choices for the consulate , thanks to not having a US embassy in their own country :D If you know Persian I can give you the link?

• 3 months later...
On 12/14/2022 at 9:56 PM, immishok said:

When is your DQ? I am also EB2 waiting for interview letter at the Singapore Consulate

EB-2 NIW in AP since May 2023

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.