FPS81

Does each translation need its own certificate?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Taiwan
Timeline

For foreign language documents, do I need to provide a separate translator's certificate for each document?  So if there's 10 documents that need to be translated, do I need 10 signed translator certificates too?  or can it be just 1 certificate for all of them? 

thanks.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
19 hours ago, FPS81 said:

For foreign language documents, do I need to provide a separate translator's certificate for each document?  So if there's 10 documents that need to be translated, do I need 10 signed translator certificates too?  or can it be just 1 certificate for all of them? 

thanks.

For China, each Chinese document would need it's own Notarial Translation booklet from the Notarial (Gong Zheng Chu) Office.  For example, there are typically no actual birth certificates, so the household book is taken to the Notarial Office and a Notarial Certificate is prepared.  For a marriage certificate (marriage in China) the Marriage Book is taken to the Notarial office.

In general for other languages, documents do not have certification.  The translator knows to provide the certifying statement for each document.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
4 hours ago, pushbrk said:

For China, each Chinese document would need it's own Notarial Translation booklet from the Notarial (Gong Zheng Chu) Office.  For example, there are typically no actual birth certificates, so the household book is taken to the Notarial Office and a Notarial Certificate is prepared.  For a marriage certificate (marriage in China) the Marriage Book is taken to the Notarial office.

In general for other languages, documents do not have certification.  The translator knows to provide the certifying statement for each document.

Oh, I wasn't referring to notarials.  I was referring to the initial petition filed with USCIS, where I had neglected to include translator's certificate (because they didn't ask for it on the petition itself, on the part where you upload document in the on-line petition, it just says if your document is in a foreign language, upload an English translation along with the original.)  Later I realized translator need to sign a certification saying the translation is accurate and so forth.  Anyway, luckily there's a function on the site to submit additional document after I submit my petition. 

What I wasn't clear on is does the translator have to sign a separate certification for each foreign document translation?  I think you said he has to, is that right?

Edited by FPS81

Timeline
1 hour ago, FPS81 said:

Oh, I wasn't referring to notarials.  I was referring to the initial petition filed with USCIS, where I had neglected to include translator's certificate (because they didn't ask for it on the petition itself, on the part where you upload document in the on-line petition, it just says if your document is in a foreign language, upload an English translation along with the original.)  Later I realized translator need to sign a certification saying the translation is accurate and so forth.  Anyway, luckily there's a function on the site to submit additional document after I submit my petition. 

What I wasn't clear on is does the translator have to sign a separate certification for each foreign document translation?  I think you said he has to, is that right?

Well, yes but the statement certifying they are fluent in both languages and certify the translation is accurate and their signature is part of the translation itself. It's the I-130 instructions that say this, not the form.  You did download and study the instructions.  Right?

What kind of documents are you referring to if not official Chinese documents?  What did you have translated?

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

What kind of documents are you referring to if not official Chinese documents?  What did you have translated?

Marriage certificate, house ownership certificate, and Mainland Travel Permit.  Again, I know I have to go to the notary when my case goes to the NVC, but I'm still at the USCIS stage, I still early in the process here.

1 hour ago, pushbrk said:

Well, yes but the statement certifying they are fluent in both languages and certify the translation is accurate and their signature is part of the translation itself. It's the I-130 instructions that say this, not the form.  You did download and study the instructions.  Right?

So the translator's certificate is part of the translation itself, does this mean they have to be on the same sheet of paper?  I've never heard of this, and it's kind of confusing.

Isn't the translator's certification on a separate sheet of paper?  I have 3 foreign language documents, and a translation for each document.  Does each of the 3 translations need to be accompanied by its own translation certificate, or can the translator write one translation certificate to cover all 3?

Or does he put a certification at the end of each translation, on the same sheet of paper, as you seem to suggest?

Thank you for your time

Timeline
4 hours ago, FPS81 said:

Marriage certificate, house ownership certificate, and Mainland Travel Permit.  Again, I know I have to go to the notary when my case goes to the NVC, but I'm still at the USCIS stage, I still early in the process here.

So the translator's certificate is part of the translation itself, does this mean they have to be on the same sheet of paper?  I've never heard of this, and it's kind of confusing.

Isn't the translator's certification on a separate sheet of paper?  I have 3 foreign language documents, and a translation for each document.  Does each of the 3 translations need to be accompanied by its own translation certificate, or can the translator write one translation certificate to cover all 3?

Or does he put a certification at the end of each translation, on the same sheet of paper, as you seem to suggest?

Thank you for your time

If you were married in China,  or one of you was divorced in China, USCIS will only accept a Notarial translations.  A "notarial" is a "translation".

I'm not suggesting.  I'm saying yes, the translator's certification is part of the translation, so it should be on the same page or last page of the translation and the pages numbered so it is clear what is part of what.  You don't "hear" this.  You read it as part of the instructions.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline
15 hours ago, pushbrk said:

If you were married in China,  or one of you was divorced in China, USCIS will only accept a Notarial translations.  A "notarial" is a "translation".

I'm not suggesting.  I'm saying yes, the translator's certification is part of the translation, so it should be on the same page or last page of the translation and the pages numbered so it is clear what is part of what.  You don't "hear" this.  You read it as part of the instructions.

ok, thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.