Gawain

Schengen Visa question -

10 posts in this topic

My daughter is a Russian citizen and she obtained a Schengen visa from Estonia.  She used it when we met there in August.  

It doesn't expire until November.

My question is this - 

Can she use the Schengen visa to enter Finland?  I know that Estonia no longer allows Russians to enter (even with a valid Schengen visa) but I don't believe Finland is doing this.  The Schengen visa she has was issued by Estonia and there are no restrictions on it.

I'm thinking of sending her from St. Petersburg to Helsinki, by bus.

Thanks.

Edited by Gawain

31 minutes ago, Gawain said:

Can she use the Schengen visa issued by Estonia to enter Finland?

Is it multiple entry?  If so, she can use it in Finland before the expiry date.

Also, does the passport she has on hand have an entry stamp to Estonia?  Or any proof that she already used the visa to enter Estonia?  Some border officials want to see that the Schengen visa was used to enter the country that issued it.

Yes.  

Yes, her International Passport was stamped by Estonia when she came in to visit me on the first trip (the trip when we applied for the United States passport).

The only thing I need to make sure is that she can use the Estonian-issued Schengen to go from Russian into Finland.

Apparently, Finland will not take a hard line and still allow Russians to enter

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/finnish-mfa-imposing-an-entry-ban-on-all-russians-is-against-rule-of-law/

I just need to make sure that she can go from Russia to Finland using this Estonian-issued Schengen

7mUVVQs.png

• 1 month later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 9/14/2022 at 8:05 PM, Gawain said:

Yes and no.

I will be bringing the USA passport to her.  I have to hand it to her.  They would not mail it to Russia, they had to mail it to me instead.

So back to the original question....Can she use the Schengen visa issued by Estonia to enter Finland?

Why don't you try to meet in Turkey or Dubai and not worry about Schengen visa at all? 

Alternatively, you could use a mail forwarding service. Even though the US govt/US postal service isn't shipping to Russia currently, I was easily able to send a parcel from UK to my wife in Russia in July during a work trip.

All valid points.  I will answer you why.

My daughter is young, and inexperienced at flying.  She grew up in a small town.  All she feels comfortable doing is riding on the train.  She's never navigated an airport on her own, and she's never flown by herself.  The only time she ever flew was one short, flight with me.  Since the mobilization of young men, the flights out of Russia have been booked solid (almost) and the prices have doubled.  Given all the variables, I can't risk her being on a longer flight to either of those places.  If something were to go wrong I'd get an email from her expecting me to tell her what to do, and I'd be helpless to help her.  Taking the bus to a Schengen country - I'd at least be able to take a car to the border crossing point if I had to, if she got held up at the checkpoint.  Perhaps early next year, after I accompany her to the United States, she will begin to travel on her own.

Your mail forwarding service - you say it was in July.  A lot of things have changed since then.  In fact, they seem to change bi-weekly.  But would you be so kind as to tell me the name of the mail forwarding company?  I'd look them up on the internet and see if they have offices in Finland.  Thanks.

I personally would not mail a US passport - too risky if it gets stolen or misplaced.

How about using airline services for unaccompanied minors? For example, see this Turkish Airlines page (sections on "children traveling alone" and "children traveling with a companion"): https://www.turkishairlines.com/th-th/any-questions/infants-and-children

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.