pazzee

IRS hasn’t processed my 2021 Taxes, N400 Interview in 7 days

4 posts in this topic

Will this be an issue or possibly delay approval? I’m worried it might because I owe taxes for 2019, which I disclosed on my N400. I am on a payment plan and uploaded the documentation with my application. I filed for an extension on my 1040 in April and made my estimated payments for 2021. I wasn’t expecting my interview until next year so I figured as long as I filed my return by the October extension date, I’d be fine. I wanted to take more time because I wanted to itemize my deductions to lower my tax liability instead of taking the standard deduction like I usually do. My interview got scheduled way faster than anticipated so I got to work with a CPA and filed my return a week after learning of my interview date. The IRS still hasn’t processed it. The IRS website says 9 out of 10 1040s are processed in 3 weeks, but I know this time of year gets busy again for them with the 1120 Business return extension due date being due in a couple days.  I feel like USCIS might look at my application with more scrutiny. Like, oh this chick is behind on her 2019 tax payments AND she didn’t file her 2021 under the normal due date and her return hasn’t been processed yet. 

For taxes owed, as long as it is being rectified as in being paid, you are fine.

In your case, you stated that you are on a payment plan so you are ok there.

For taxes return documentation, the requirement is "1040 and supporting documents" or "tax transcript" NOT both.

In your case, you filed for an extension, so it was now due in October, then you filed before October deadline. So again you are ok. Just take the return and supporting documents. The key is when you filed, not when it is processed.

There are people in worse situations than yours. I don't see any reason for concern

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
On 9/13/2022 at 3:35 PM, pazzee said:

@randy32 This makes me feel so much better. I’m just a generally anxious person and my brain is finding every little thing to worry about. I can cross this off my worry list and move on to whatever my brain decides to worry about next. 😆 Thanks!

Take evidence of your 2021 estimated payments too. That would be available online. Start here https://www.irs.gov/individuals/get-transcript. You want a tax account transcript which will show your payments.Transcript types are described here and have additional information.  https://www.irs.gov/individuals/transcript-types-and-ways-to-order-them

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.