NoMansLand2020

Looking for suggestions on a car for wife

33 posts in this topic

On 8/31/2022 at 8:02 PM, NoMansLand2020 said:

Greetings, 

We are currently in the market for an additional car for our family. Looking for a used vehicle that will be mostly used by my wife. Currently we have two young children, one who is still in a carseat and a baby due in December. 

My wife has no driving experience and will soon be starting an adult driving class so she can earn a permit. Being a Filipino, she's short in stature, 4'10 and around 90lbs.  As we are soon to be a family of 5, we mostly likely need either a minivan, or smaller seater... Something that would seat at least 7. 

I am looking for suggestions as to what others might have done. 

I'd strongly echo the posters who suggested a minivan.  Its hard to beat its form factor for usefulness and ease with kids over any of the 3-row CUVs.  This article and its comments would seem to agree (https://www.caranddriver.com/shopping-advice/a27410719/best-vehicle-for-family/).  I have a Town & Country myself and found a used  'little old lady' Honda Odyssey' for my filipina wife.  She would probably prefer something smaller, but its very handy and reliable (and couldn't beat the price).

If you buy an older one before backup cameras were mandatory, see if there is an aftermarket solution you can add to make her more comfortable backing up and parking.  I bought one off Amazon for the Honda but have yet to install it.

Most of the new vans have had recent updates so comparison articles between the Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, and Kia are plentiful online.  Chrysler gets its quality knocks, but stick to any van 2011 and newer and you should be OK (if you buy used).  I'm a big believer in it as a former employee and the exclusive stow n go seating storage.  3.6 Pentastar and 6 or 9-speed transmissions are leagues ahead of their older stuff which I also owned.  The old Honda with its ubiquitous 3.5 and 5-speed drives very well too.

I also agree with other posters that in the current state of the market, a financed new car may be a overall better deal than used.  3yr/36k mile lease turn-ins can also be a source of deals especially if the model has undergone a refresh making the turn-in 'old' and less desirable for many people.

And if the van ends up being yours, a set of nice wheels, grippy tires and a bangin' stereo upgrade can take away any 'dad van' shame you may harbor. 😛

7 hours ago, Natepartlan said:

And if the van ends up being yours, a set of nice wheels, grippy tires and a bangin' stereo upgrade can take away any 'dad van' shame you may harbor. 😛

Nothing but alcohol will take away the shame.

(For the ninnies out there:  Not while driving, not around kids, just responsibly, duh.) 

Finally done.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2022 at 7:02 PM, NoMansLand2020 said:

Greetings, 

We are currently in the market for an additional car for our family. Looking for a used vehicle that will be mostly used by my wife. Currently we have two young children, one who is still in a carseat and a baby due in December. 

My wife has no driving experience and will soon be starting an adult driving class so she can earn a permit. Being a Filipino, she's short in stature, 4'10 and around 90lbs.  As we are soon to be a family of 5, we mostly likely need either a minivan, or smaller seater... Something that would seat at least 7. 

I am looking for suggestions as to what others might have done. 

IMO whatever you buy stay away from the vehicles with the CVT transmissions! Look at Mazda CX5 or CX9

Edited by Sarge2155

4 years, 11 months, 2 weeks and 3 days

Citizenship Complete!

USCIS is like a box of chocolates, you never know what kind of answer you are going to get!!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.