DualMatty

dual citizen married to canadian, moving to US for job

52 posts in this topic

On 7/26/2022 at 12:20 AM, ROK2USA said:

DCF was/is the process that used to exist for your situation. I have many friends who were able to move back to the US in 3-6 months.

You are not the first and you won't be the last person who wants to relocate to the US with your foreign partner.

I suggest you get married ASAP because most embassies don't accept the DCF request if the couple is not married. 

Also, be aware Montreal is a slow consulate. Those who've requested DCF in the last year have waited a month or so for a response. 

Well, I’ll have more information later. But for now it looks like DCF is working out for us. Had the first meeting where you hand in I130 and I130A. They were professional, friendly and understanding and estimated a pretty quick timeline.

1 hour ago, DualMatty said:

Well, I’ll have more information later. But for now it looks like DCF is working out for us. Had the first meeting where you hand in I130 and I130A. They were professional, friendly and understanding and estimated a pretty quick timeline.

thank you for the update!

It is always good news to learn something that appeared to be impossible is now possible ^^ 

• 1 month later...

So we're almost finished compiling our packet 3. There's something I don't completely understand - at first I was considering the K3 visa because I read that it was a month or so faster than the CR1, even though later on it would kinda suck to have a K3 vs. CR1. But in DCF, I guess whatever visa you choose is just as fast, because you're bypassing NVC? The interviewer asked me which one I wanted for her, and it seemed like whichever one was going to be the same time, so I chose CR1. Does that make sense?

The speed so far has been pretty good. It's slow to e-mail back and forth with the consulate, but given they kept their promise on the initial timeline, I guess we trust them. There have been a few hiccups in terms of information we could have had sooner, but so far not too bad. The worst thing is how the border interprets our situation and how it's too risky for her to visit in Washington state. I have to go up to Canada to visit her. Honestly, I think there's gotta be better ways for the system to work in terms of that.

Thanks

1 hour ago, DualMatty said:

The interviewer asked me which one I wanted for her, and it seemed like whichever one was going to be the same time, so I chose CR1. Does that make sense?

It was probably just a question for confirmation.  If you are a USC and you submitted an I-130 petition for your spouse, the only visa option for your spouse would be CR1 (or IR1 if you had been married more than 2 years).  K3 would only be available if you had submitted an I-129F petition.  Also, consulates generally do not offer DCF for non-immigrant visa processing.

• 2 months later...

She went for her interview in Montreal (4 months after mine, we were a bit delayed on our end getting all the documents together to tell them we were ready).

They kept her passport, but put her in administrative processing without requesting any other documents or information.

The job here is amazing, the place we found where I'm living is great and it's close to her family in BC. We'd like to establish here and stay. She for sure can't visit during administrative processing, and we can't endure this overall situation longer than 2 or 3 months. Anyone know what we can expect with this 221g administrative processing?

12 minutes ago, DualMatty said:

Anyone know what we can expect with this 221g administrative processing?

There's no guaranteed timeframe for AP, unfortunately.  You'll have to wait it out.  If the wait is extended, say for more than 6 months, you can try suing the consulate via Mandamus lawsuit if you don't mind the expense and (slight) risk of denial.

11 hours ago, DualMatty said:

She went for her interview in Montreal (4 months after mine, we were a bit delayed on our end getting all the documents together to tell them we were ready).

They kept her passport, but put her in administrative processing without requesting any other documents or information.

The job here is amazing, the place we found where I'm living is great and it's close to her family in BC. We'd like to establish here and stay. She for sure can't visit during administrative processing, and we can't endure this overall situation longer than 2 or 3 months. Anyone know what we can expect with this 221g administrative processing?

What was the AP for? Did they request additional documentation? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.