nghsbf

Renewing passport post-NOA2

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just wanted to check from people more in the know than I am, my passport expires towards the end of March next year, we hit NOA2 about 3 weeks ago so by the time i've had my medical/interview/actually move i'm likely to be cutting it fine with the required 6 months of eligibility on my current passport - there's no impediment to me getting a new passport in the time between NOA2 and the interview/filling out the DS160, right? So long as i've got my new passport number in time for the interview and take along my old passport it won't cause an issue? From older threads it seems like that's correct, but there hasn't been one in quite some time so was looking for more up-to-date info.

Cheers all.

Edited by nghsbf

I-129F Sent -  April 30 2021
I-129F Received by lockbox (NOA1) - May 4, 2021

I-129F Notification received - May 14, 2021

NOA1 physical copy received - May 22, 2021

NOA2 received - June 14, 2022 

NOA2 physical copy received - June 21, 2022

In transit to embassy - August 16, 2022

Interview (approved) - September 26, 2022

Visa in hand - September 29, 2022

US Entry - October 11, 2022

i-485 filed - January 10, 2023

i-485 approved - April 5, 2023

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

The last chance to get a new passport is the moment before the interview or if the consulate requests your passport prior to the interview. 

So yes you can renew your passport between NOA2 and DS-160.

I highly recommend actually.  The passport  my wife used to enter the USA as a K-1 was due to expire next month. 5 months ago we renewed it and it was difficult. UK passports are a different deal but not as easy to renew as say a U.S. passport. Having a passport valid through the remainder of your immigration journey through N-400 oath and US passport is blessing you will appreciate.  

Edited by Mike E

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Great, thank you, that's what I thought but just wanted to double check before I booked the appointment. I'll pay for a fast-track one to ensure it arrives in advance of the interview/DS-160.

I-129F Sent -  April 30 2021
I-129F Received by lockbox (NOA1) - May 4, 2021

I-129F Notification received - May 14, 2021

NOA1 physical copy received - May 22, 2021

NOA2 received - June 14, 2022 

NOA2 physical copy received - June 21, 2022

In transit to embassy - August 16, 2022

Interview (approved) - September 26, 2022

Visa in hand - September 29, 2022

US Entry - October 11, 2022

i-485 filed - January 10, 2023

i-485 approved - April 5, 2023

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.