vivster

Affidavit of Support Related

2 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Okay, so my fiance and I are super early on in our K-1 visa journey. And I am looking further down the line, and I am getting worried about our green card application. Currently, I make around 16k to 21k grossly a year, and that the minimum is 22k for the two person household. It varies a lot because I am in school, and I am taking a lot of time off of work to go travel to him overseas. 

Long story short, by the end of this year, I am going to probably make grossly 14k because I graduate in December and won't be working much. Yet, I think next year I will work much more, and I will have a job as a teacher which in my area starts around to having 30k. I just don't know... should I even apply yet for the K-1 visa now? I know that I could have an additional person be on the form, is that frowned upon? I could have my mom and I know she would do that for me. I just don't have any assets to contribute, and I believe I am correct that my partner can't contribute any funding or assets, right? 

Sorry for the blurbs, I am kinda new to this and everything feels overwhelming past the K-1 visa application acceptance.

You dont need to worry about finances until you get to the interview stage. Right now the timeline for NOA1 to NOA2 is 13 months. Depending from where your fiance is it will take a couple additional months till you have to fill the financial documents. So yea, you could start the process now.

Having a joint sponsor is perfectly fine and keep in mind that you have to go through AOS after you get married and then they want to see 125% of the poverty line. Not just the 100% that are needed for the K1.

Please make sure to compare to fiance and spouse visa and decide wisely as many regret doing the K1.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.