Eduh

Interview question

18 posts in this topic

30 minutes ago, arken said:

Wow, it seems it's more country dependent for i134. 

Anecdotally there are a few countries where welcome letters are more often used/accepted (like Kenya) - I hadn’t realized Nepal was one of them. But the real thing with DV is a literal public charge interpretation. Obviously it’s easier to show you will be a public charge if you are an experienced, degreed professional in an area of demand, but they are more than happy to accept people who work minimum wage jobs as long as they’re comfortable they will actually work (for this past work experience is obviously looked at). There was someone on my local forum who got told to get an i134 a few years back (her brother was a US resident already). It was a very rare thing for our consulate to demand, at least at that stage, so they definitely look at individual factors.

Fun fact though: a survey done some years back showed DV had a higher average education and higher average US job level than family based immigrants (not surprising when you think about it a bit I guess).

Tbh I don’t really understand the Sri Lanka thing. Someone took Morocco to court or …somehow or other contested its prior demand that all DV applicants have I134s and successfully got them to drop it as a blanket requirement. I’m surprised the same hasn’t happened in SL. Not even sure why all the fuss given I134 isn’t legally enforceable anyway.

As an aside, the FAQ about public charge for DV has changed a bit. It used to explicitly give examples including the i134, now it tells applicants to look at DoS guidance on public charge. I’m not sure whether this is intended to be more stringent or not, but it seems to me (from other forums) that reports of i134s being asked for are more prevalent than they were before.

old 

32. If I am successful in obtaining a visa through the DV program, will the U.S. government assist with my airfare to the United States, provide assistance to locate housing and employment, provide healthcare, or provide any subsidies until I am fully settled?

No, applicants who obtain a DV visa are not provided any type of assistance such as airfare, housing assistance, or subsidies. If you are selected to apply for a DV visa, before you can be issued a visa, you will be required, before you are issued a visa, to provide evidence that you will not become a public charge in the United States. This evidence may be in the form of a combination of your personal assets, an Affidavit of Support (Form I-134) from a relative or friend residing in the United States, and/or an offer of employment from an employer in the United States.

new

39. If I receive a visa through the DV program, will the U.S. government pay for my airfare to the United States, help me find housing and employment, and/or provide healthcare or any subsidies until I am fully settled?
No. The U.S. government will not provide any of these services to you if you receive a visa through the DV program. If you are selected to apply for a DV, before being issued a visa you must demonstrate that you will not become a public charge in the United States. If you are selected and submit a diversity visa application, you should familiarize yourself with the Department of State’s public guidance on how the likelihood of becoming a public charge is assessed and what evidence can be provided to demonstrate that you are not likely to become a public charge.

Filed: Timeline

In addition to Susie’s spot on response, 9FAM also clearly states a CO can request an I-134 in adjudicating a DV case:

(U) Use of Form I-134, Affidavit of Support:  

(a)  (U) Because INA 212(a)(4)(C) and INA 213A require the use of Form I-864 for so many classes of immigrants, the use of Form I-134 has been reduced considerably.  Nevertheless, there still are circumstances when Form I-134 will be beneficial.  This affidavit, submitted by the applicant at your request, is not legally binding on the sponsor and should not be accorded the same weight as Form I-864.  Form I-134 should be given consideration as one form of evidence, however, in conjunction with the other forms of evidence mentioned below.

(b)  (U) If any of the following applicants need an Affidavit of Support to meet the public charge requirement, they must use Form I-134, as they are not authorized to use Form I-864:

(i)     (U) Returning resident aliens (SBs);

(ii)    (U) Diversity visa applicants (DVs); and 

(iii)    (U) Fiancé(e)s (K-1s or K-3s).

https://fam.state.gov/fam/09fam/09fam030208.html

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.