AMT7565

DV selection and Adjustment of status from F1

10 posts in this topic

Hello, I am hoping someone could help answer my questions. Will appreciate any guidance.

1. Posting on behalf of a friend's Son who currently is a student in the USA on an F1.
  2. He has received an invitation from USCIS to apply for DV for fiscal year 2023 (Oct 2022- Sept 2023).
  3. Should he apply now by filing a DS-260 by following the instructions provided, so that he can get a visa# ?
  4. In parallel should he apply to USCIS for an adjustment of status since he is already in the US on an F1 ?
  5. Would be he required to return to his native Sri Lanka for the interview ?

Thank you

AMT.

I am a little confused by the statement 

18 minutes ago, AMT7565 said:

He has received an invitation from USCIS to apply for DV for fiscal year 2023

USCIS does not “invite” anyone to “apply for DV”. Do you mean he was selected for DV and found that out by accessing the DV website to see if he was selected?

Anyway if that’s the case, it’s too soon to apply for adjustment if he is DV2023. His number needs to be current in the visa bulletin before he can apply. There are a number of other conditions he needs to meet, too

DS260 is optional for AOS. You only get a visa number in the actual interview if you are doing adjustment (officer requests it from KCC once the case looks approvable), it does not get reserved in advance  like it does for those who have been scheduled for consular interview.

The point of adjustment is that he doesn’t need to go back to Sri Lanka to interview.

if he is in the US on F1 he should be able to handle this himself. I am going to DM you a link that is the best (and only real) resource on adjusting status on Dv.

5 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

if he has won the lottery , he should fill out the DV 260 and follow the instructions for winning 

They do not give proper instructions for AOS. DS260 is also optional for doing AOS.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

application for 2023 was October 6, 2021 to November 9th

so,  i assume ,  he found out he won by checking the site for winners

and i first started to say USICS does not send out letters but this person is talking for someone else so the story is not what it is

Edited by JeanneAdil

1 minute ago, JeanneAdil said:

application for 2023 was October 6, 2021 to November 9th

so,  i assume ,  he found out he won by checking the site for winners

and i first started to say USICS does not send out letters but this person is talking for someone else so the story is not what it is

And people scam other people by sending them stuff claiming they are Dv selectees, so it is important to understand what has actually happened.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

And people scam other people by sending them stuff claiming they are Dv selectees, so it is important to understand what has actually happened.

yep,  i was going to say "don't send any money "

i was trying to hold my tongue so  i didn't offend anyone

but applying for 2023 closed in 2021

Edited by JeanneAdil

6 minutes ago, JeanneAdil said:

yep,  i was going to say "don't send any money "

i was trying to hold my tongue so  i didn't offend anyone

but applying for 2023 closed in 2021

And selection was in May this year, and adjustment for status starts in October. There is nothing wrong with the timing here, it was just that statement that needed clarifying. 

Hey Folks,

I see that some of you state the possibility of scam. Here is a copy & paste of a part of the letter. The link inserted in the letter is not working. Thoughts on this?

"You have been randomly selected for further processing in the Diversity Immigrant Visa Program for the fiscal year 2023 (October 1, 2022 to September 30, 2023). Selection does not guarantee that you will receive a visa because the number of applicants selected is greater than the number of visas available. Therefore, it is very important that you carefully follow instructions to increase your chances of possible visa issuance. The instructions are located on the Department of State website at http://dvselectee.state.gov. All DV applicants must use the online DS-260 Immigrant Visa and Alien Registration Application.

Your case will not be scheduled for an interview appointment until a visa number is available, you have submitted a complete and valid DS-260 application for each family member, and you have provided copies of all required documentation to the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC). You will receive document submission instructions by e-mail after KCC processes and accepts the DS-260 application forms for you and any accompanying family members. You can see a list of required documents that you will need to provide at https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us- visas/immigrate/diversity-visa-program-entry/diversity-visa-if-you-are-selected/diversity-visa-prepare-supporting-documents.html. If you are scheduled for an interview, you will receive an e-mail notification message. These important e-mails will be sent to the email address you provided on your initial application. Notify KCC at KCCDV@state.gov if your e-mail address changes to ensure you receive all notifications regarding your Diversity Visa case.

If you need to contact the Kentucky Consular Center (KCC) about your case, you may write to KCCDV@state.gov. When writing to KCC, you must always include your name and case number as they appear below. You must also include your complete date of birth as stated on your original entry. "

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.