montreal-eb3

Russian employment based (EB) cases going through consular processing

27 posts in this topic

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 6/18/2022 at 12:00 AM, SusieQQQ said:

Some other perspective, going back to a normal year - before covid, before politics shut embassies, before war:

Examples  2018, 2018

immigrant visas issued at 

Moscow: 4270, 4625

Kyiv: 5358, 4427

Riga: 169, 130. No I didn’t leave out any zeroes.

Quite clearly Riga is tiny and totally overwhelmed now. Even just one month at one of the other embassies used to issue twice as much or more than Riga issued annually. Best suggestion actually may be to find a different embassy with more capacity to move to?

the major advantage of Riga is no backlog

that is why I tried it

The relevant bits, not that they contain much information:

• Consular posts in Russia remain closed to non-diplomatic personnel. Additionally, Russian nationals cannot secure Schengen visas at this time, thereby making travel to Poland or other EU countries impossible. Applicants and their representatives must email posts throughout the region to determine whether a given location may be amenable to accepting a case. Is DOS considering designating additional posts to entertain Russian applicants, given that Warsaw is not an option for IV applicants who lack Schengen visas?
    Response: Embassy Warsaw is the only post officially designated to process Russian IVs. Additionally, we have encouraged all posts to accept third-county nationals to the extent possible given local conditions and resources.
  • In our January 2022 liaison meeting, we discussed that the “homeless visa applicant” construct under 9 FAM 504.4-8(E)(1) is an IV construct that does not apply in the NIV context because NIV applicants can theoretically apply in any consular district where they are physically present. AILA gave examples of Iranians and Syrians attempting to apply for IVs at their designated posts but not being scheduled for interviews. We also expressed how, due to pandemic constraints, many posts routinely prioritized residents of their jurisdiction over homeless nationals physically present there. Can DOS advise whether homeless nationals are getting better access to IV and NIV appointments?
    Response: We assure there is access for IVs in cases where options have been restricted due to a variety of events. Accordingly, and for example, we have designated Frankfurt as the IV processing post for Ukrainians, and Warsaw at the processing post for Russians (as well as for Ukrainian adoption cases). In instances of extreme need or seasonal fluctuation, such as student visas for Russian applicants or official and diplomatic visas for Ukrainians, we have designated posts where there are language assets and resources sufficient to assist the relevant population. In general and as noted, NIV applicants may apply anywhere there are appointments available and as COVID restrictions ease and our posts make gains on the backlog, this will become exponentially easier.

On 6/22/2022 at 5:30 PM, montreal-eb3 said:

Oh nice, congrats! What reason did you specify? If you don't mind sharing.

On 6/22/2022 at 9:43 AM, zug_202 said:

I got an interview appointment after I had expedited my case.))

Great congrat, what was the reason for expedite if you don’t mind me asking. Thanks 

Filed: EB-2 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline
On 6/30/2022 at 8:56 PM, Nana B said:

Great congrat, what was the reason for expedite if you don’t mind me asking. Thanks 

reason for expedite:

1) my immigration process is going more than 2 years

2) US Embassy in Moscow was closed

3) I had a 2-month delay because of i-140 re-submission

4) Possible Army draft because of the Russian invasion of Ukraine

On 6/17/2022 at 11:23 AM, zug_202 said:

DV Lottery is an annual process. According to the logic described above, Embassies should serve only DV visas. I think it is not fair, cases should be processed in some ratio e.g 3DV : 1EB.

A few words about ''waiting a little bit longer"))
My process has been going more than 2,5 years. I faced a 2-month delay with the i-140 petition. Because of technical issues on the USCIS side with payment, we've re-submitted it and lost the time.

Why NVC/Embassy does not respect my and employer's time?

No one is owed a work visa for the US.  Being outraged at the process doesn't help you.

And the actions of your own country have contributed hugely to your current situation.

I’m glad some of you have been able to move forward with your visas.

Just an aside re the previous discussion about Riga, May issuance statistics show both that they are indeed giving a lot of priority to DV but also that their capacity is tiny and those looking for EB visas should probably go elsewhere - their total immigrant visa issuance in May was 23, made up of 16 DV, 4 F3 and 3 IR5.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.