Moroccan butcher in Washington DC

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
On 5/13/2022 at 3:13 PM, JeanneAdil said:

Butcher does not need to be Moroccan 

you need halal meat 

https://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=halal+meat&find_loc=Washington%2C+DC

Thanks, Jeanne!  Yes but we were specifically looking for a Moroccan butcher that we heard about.  Just to have that Moroccan touch :D  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 hour ago, sarabou17 said:

Thanks, Jeanne!  Yes but we were specifically looking for a Moroccan butcher that we heard about.  Just to have that Moroccan touch :D  

We have a Moroccan butcher  in Atlanta who works at the Palestine Marketplace and cuts up meat they way Adil wants

but Atlanta is a bit of a far reach for u

and when i go up to Pa to see my brother ,  we it the Farmer's Amish marketplace in Allentown 

He came in April

Has he gotten green card and SS# yet?

and congratulations on getting the visa and all

Timeline
On 5/15/2022 at 1:57 PM, JeanneAdil said:

We have a Moroccan butcher  in Atlanta who works at the Palestine Marketplace and cuts up meat they way Adil wants

but Atlanta is a bit of a far reach for u

and when i go up to Pa to see my brother ,  we it the Farmer's Amish marketplace in Allentown 

He came in April

Has he gotten green card and SS# yet?

and congratulations on getting the visa and all

Yeah Atlanta would be!  He got his SS# after a couple of weeks but still waiting on GC.  My husband says it usually takes a few months.  Was that your experience?   We found a small market not to far away that has halal meat :D but I found out that it's something that's difficult to inquire about since it involves basically asking people if they eat halal meat which is kind of a private thing.  It's a big issue, if a person who is Muslim lands in an area where halal meat is not readily available.  Having to drive for hours and then cut and freeze large quantities of meat adds an extra level of work to the whole cooking process.  I got rid of my microwave so defrosting meat safely is another issue.  Basically, you have to think of what you want to eat tomorrow and put it in the refrigerator at night in order for it to be ready to cook that next day.  I might have to reconsider my stance on microwaves!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
1 minute ago, sarabou17 said:

Yeah Atlanta would be!  He got his SS# after a couple of weeks but still waiting on GC.  My husband says it usually takes a few months.  Was that your experience?   We found a small market not to far away that has halal meat :D but I found out that it's something that's difficult to inquire about since it involves basically asking people if they eat halal meat which is kind of a private thing.  It's a big issue, if a person who is Muslim lands in an area where halal meat is not readily available.  Having to drive for hours and then cut and freeze large quantities of meat adds an extra level of work to the whole cooking process.  I got rid of my microwave so defrosting meat safely is another issue.  Basically, you have to think of what you want to eat tomorrow and put it in the refrigerator at night in order for it to be ready to cook that next day.  I might have to reconsider my stance on microwaves! 

We travel to Atlanta (just over 2 hours ) to get halal meat and so we buy 1/2 a sheep

but i can get Kosher meat locally as 

Can Muslims eat kosher meat?

It's not generally known outside the circles of the preoccupied, but Muslims who can't get meat slaughtered according to the rules of halal, the Muslim equivalent of the kosher laws, are permitted by most Muslim clerics to eat kosher instead

not sure why he would say this is a private thing / its well known here even in our city and surrounding area which is a lot smaller than DC  
He should attend a local mosque and ask 

Timeline

There are several in Alexandria, VA not far from DC. There is Fair Price Market off of Edsall, I am not sure if it’s specifically Moroccan but I know a lot of Moroccans work in the butcher area.  Also off of George Mason and Seminary there is a whole strip of Arabic Markets including Butcher. It’s also a great area to get Arabic, Moroccan, Ethiopian food. But I will say parking is terrible the Fair Price location os much easier to get in and out of and they have an amazing selection as well. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.