Jordanian Bride

Financial documents but husband has been only in the US for a few months

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jordan
Timeline

Hello everyone,

I'm actually very confused about this. I don't really understand IRS documents, so bear with me...

My husband has started working in the US only a few months ago this year. Previously he worked abroad at a foreign company and didn't earn enough to have to pay income tax.

1. Now, if we move into the NVC stage as of 2022, what kind of financial documents will apply? To narrow it down, we qualify for I-864EZ.

2. He qualifies to be the sole sponsor as he makes the 125% poverty guidelines many times over. But will this being his first W2 mean we need a joint sponsor?

3. As far as I understand, a tax return (for the year of 2021) will not help us. Is that right? What should we use instead?

Edited by Jordanian Bride

1 hour ago, Jordanian Bride said:

Hello everyone,

I'm actually very confused about this. I don't really understand IRS documents, so bear with me...

My husband has started working in the US only a few months ago this year. Previously he worked abroad at a foreign company and didn't earn enough to have to pay income tax.

1. Now, if we move into the NVC stage as of 2022, what kind of financial documents will apply? To narrow it down, we qualify for I-864EZ.

2. He qualifies to be the sole sponsor as he makes the 125% poverty guidelines many times over. But will this being his first W2 mean we need a joint sponsor?

3. As far as I understand, a tax return (for the year of 2021) will not help us. Is that right? What should we use instead?

If your husband worked in another country he still has to file his US taxes. 

He should file his 2021 tax returns, indicate how much he earned in 2021 in the foreign country and add the 2555 so he doesn't have to pay tax in the US. 

He should also probably file taxes for 2020 and 2019. 

Get that sorted out ASAP. 

They might request a joint sponsor if he shows $0 earnings for 2021, 2020 and 2019. 

Or they might decide to DQ your case and the CO will make the decision at the interview. 

If your husband has W2s from his company he will be able to use the I-864EZ if he only has paystubs he should complete the I-864. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Timeline
3 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

If your husband worked in another country he still has to file his US taxes. 

He HAS filed taxes.

I just meant that these returns probably won't help us establish his eligibility as a financial sponsor.

Is it really possible they'll ask for a joint sponsor because this is his first year making taxable income? It is 6 figures, they really won't accept it?

6 minutes ago, ROK2USA said:

If your husband has W2s from his company he will be able to use the I-864EZ if he only has paystubs he should complete the I-864. 

What are paystubs?

7 minutes ago, Jordanian Bride said:

He HAS filed taxes.

I just meant that these returns probably won't help us establish his eligibility as a financial sponsor.

Is it really possible they'll ask for a joint sponsor because this is his first year making taxable income? It is 6 figures, they really won't accept it?

Okay~ sorry to misunderstand your initial post. 

They will probably suggest a joint sponsor.

When members use assets in place of income for I-864 a generic message suggesting a joint sponsor is placed in the comments but the case is still DQ'ed. 

Your case might get the same message as your husband will indicate $0 income for 2021/2020 and 2019.

You should be okay as current income is the most important factor. 

The CO will make the final decision at the interview. 

ETA: I see your case is at Vermont. You should prepare yourself for a 8-9+ month wait at USCIS. There is a small chance you receive NOA2 in 2022. But, it will probably only happen in 2023. 

Edited by ROK2USA

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

he should get a formal letter from his stating he works full time and start date of his employment along with his salary (weekly,  biweekly,  monthly or annual)

Timeline
On 5/7/2022 at 5:42 AM, ROK2USA said:

Okay~ sorry to misunderstand your initial post. 

They will probably suggest a joint sponsor.

When members use assets in place of income for I-864 a generic message suggesting a joint sponsor is placed in the comments but the case is still DQ'ed. 

Your case might get the same message as your husband will indicate $0 income for 2021/2020 and 2019.

You should be okay as current income is the most important factor. 

The CO will make the final decision at the interview. 

ETA: I see your case is at Vermont. You should prepare yourself for a 8-9+ month wait at USCIS. There is a small chance you receive NOA2 in 2022. But, it will probably only happen in 2023. 

Thank you so much! Yes, I know about Vermont. But I'm trying to be positive :)

On 5/7/2022 at 5:48 AM, JeanneAdil said:

he should get a formal letter from his stating he works full time and start date of his employment along with his salary (weekly,  biweekly,  monthly or annual)

Thank you, that is good advice.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.