Freefall5657

AOS Biometrics and ITIN (tax number)

7 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ivory Coast
Timeline

Hello everyone, 

1) Our case was sent to the Tucson, AZ UCIS office on April 13th, 2022 and it was received (all three docs) April 15th, 2022. We sent the I-485 application to register permanent resident or adjust status, I-765 employment authorization, and I-131 travel document all to the same location (Tucson, AZ). When I check the processing times for the I-485 on the USCIS website, the Field Office or Service Center will list Tucson, AZ as one of the options. But when I select any of the other forms we submitted, the drop down menu for Field Office or Service Center does not list Tucson, AZ. So my question is, will the other forms be sent to the other near by offices or will they be processed in Tucson? If they will be processed in Tucson, how could I find the specific processing times for Tucson and that form? For our relationship, my husband is the beneficiary and he is really antsy to work, plus we really need the second income. So I am mainly asking to get an idea of when they would process his work permit (I-765). 

2) On another note, when I check the status of our I-485, it says "On April 22, 2022, we scheduled you for a biometrics appointment and sent you an appointment notice for Receipt Number xxxxxxxxxx (Edit made by user). Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your appointment notice by May 22, 2022, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address."  My question is: is there a hack to know whey they scheduled it? Or do we just have to wait for the mail? 

Thank you in advance! 

Edited by Freefall5657

1) EADs and APs are processed at National Benefits Center. You’ll need to buckle up, current wait times for EADs under category c9 (pending I-485) is 7.5 - 12.5 months. He might get lucky and have his GC interview before, that’s what happened to me.

2) Does your receipt start with IOE and if so, did you set up an online account with an online access code sent by USCIS? If the answer is yes, then you can view the notice online. If not, then you can try to chat with EMMA by requesting a live agent. They might be able to tell you when it is. 

Timeline

Hello everyone, 

1) Our case was sent to the Tucson, AZ UCIS office on April 13th, 2022 and it was received (all three docs) April 15th, 2022. We sent the I-485 application to register permanent resident or adjust status, I-765 employment authorization, and I-131 travel document all to the same location (Tucson, AZ). When I check the processing times for the I-485 on the USCIS website, the Field Office or Service Center will list Tucson, AZ as one of the options. But when I select any of the other forms we submitted, the drop down menu for Field Office or Service Center does not list Tucson, AZ. So my question is, will the other forms be sent to the other near by offices or will they be processed in Tucson? If they will be processed in Tucson, how could I find the specific processing times for Tucson and that form? For our relationship, my husband is the beneficiary and he is really antsy to work, plus we really need the second income. So I am mainly asking to get an idea of when they would process his work permit (I-765). 

2) We got married in December 2021 and so when I filled my 2021 taxes, I listed myself as married (yay!). But in order to do so, my husband had to apply for an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN). The supporting document required to file for ITIN (W-7) includes my husbands passport but since we are in the middle of applying for the above AOS, we decided to send a certified copy of the passport when applying for the ITIN. Today (4-25-22), we got the letter back saying how they "no longer accept notarized copies, only the original document or certified by the issuing agency or official custodian of the original record". So to me, it sounds like they want the physical passport but my husband and I don't feel comfortable sending that before the interview is completed. The IRS also mentioned that if the correct documentation is not received by June 6th, 2022 they will deny our case and we will have to submit a new W-7. So, what should we do to get our tax refund (the government owes us money!)? PS: We sent the tax documents in to the USCIS with our AOS application so hopefully we won't get any RFEs. 

3) On another note, when I check the status of our I-485, it says "On April 22, 2022, we scheduled you for a biometrics appointment and sent you an appointment notice for Receipt Number xxxxxxxxxx (Edit made by user). Please follow the instructions in the notice. If you do not receive your appointment notice by May 22, 2022, please go to www.uscis.gov/e-request to request a copy of the notice. If you move, go to www.uscis.gov/addresschange to give us your new mailing address."  My question is: is there a hack to know whey they scheduled it? Or do we just have to wait for the mail? 

Thank you in advance! 

Timeline
15 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

1) EADs and APs are processed at National Benefits Center. You’ll need to buckle up, current wait times for EADs under category c9 (pending I-485) is 7.5 - 12.5 months. He might get lucky and have his GC interview before, that’s what happened to me.

2) Does your receipt start with IOE and if so, did you set up an online account with an online access code sent by USCIS? If the answer is yes, then you can view the notice online. If not, then you can try to chat with EMMA by requesting a live agent. They might be able to tell you when it is. 

1) Aok, thank you for the info. Thats alright, we are used to waiting, sadly! So does that mean you got your GC before EAD??

2) yes, I copied what our online account said. It was also the same response as the USCIS case status checker. We will wait until the end of the week to see if the notice comes and then we will try EMMA. 

Did you have a chance to view the additional post about the ITIN? (I couldn't edit the original post.)

11 minutes ago, Freefall5657 said:

1) Aok, thank you for the info. Thats alright, we are used to waiting, sadly! So does that mean you got your GC before EAD??

2) yes, I copied what our online account said. It was also the same response as the USCIS case status checker. We will wait until the end of the week to see if the notice comes and then we will try EMMA. 

Did you have a chance to view the additional post about the ITIN? (I couldn't edit the original post.)

1) yes, I did. I didn’t expect that but certainly very happy about it. Incidentally, my EAD is still pending which indicates that they still haven’t gotten to my application after 9 months of waiting so if I didn’t get my GC, I’d still be waiting for my EAD. In my case my EAD application will be denied because the IO will see that I already received my GC.

2) Your biometrics notice should be under the documents tab in your account.

3) I wouldn’t mail my passport to IRS. Too risky, especially in the midst of an immigration process. IRS gives 2 other option to receive an ITIN:

Option 2

Apply for an ITIN in-person using the services of an IRS-authorized Certifying Acceptance Agent. This will prevent you from having to mail your proof of identity and foreign status documents.

Option 3

Make an appointment at a designated IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center. This will also prevent you from having to mail your proof of identity and foreign status document 

After processing, the IRS will issue your ITIN through the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin

Timeline
56 minutes ago, powerpuff said:

1) yes, I did. I didn’t expect that but certainly very happy about it. Incidentally, my EAD is still pending which indicates that they still haven’t gotten to my application after 9 months of waiting so if I didn’t get my GC, I’d still be waiting for my EAD. In my case my EAD application will be denied because the IO will see that I already received my GC.

2) Your biometrics notice should be under the documents tab in your account.

3) I wouldn’t mail my passport to IRS. Too risky, especially in the midst of an immigration process. IRS gives 2 other option to receive an ITIN:

Option 2

Apply for an ITIN in-person using the services of an IRS-authorized Certifying Acceptance Agent. This will prevent you from having to mail your proof of identity and foreign status documents.

Option 3

Make an appointment at a designated IRS Taxpayer Assistance Center. This will also prevent you from having to mail your proof of identity and foreign status document 

After processing, the IRS will issue your ITIN through the mail.

https://www.irs.gov/individuals/how-do-i-apply-for-an-itin

1) wow that's better! Fingers crossed! 

2) when I check the documents tab, it says that I can upload my documents to be seen by the USCIS. It does not show their NOAs. 

3) ok that works out better! Thank you!

Screen Shot 2022-04-25 at 8.55.23 PM.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.