Lilleem

N-400 (military)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hello, how's everyone's day going? I submitted N400 recently based on military basis, I will be going to military bootcamp around early august and won't be back till late December, what would happen if I'm scheduled for interview while still in bootcamp? Has anyone ever come across this situation? Thanks and have a great day

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/25/2022 at 9:50 PM, Lilleem said:

Hello, how's everyone's day going? I submitted N400 recently based on military basis, I will be going to military bootcamp around early august and won't be back till late December, what would happen if I'm scheduled for interview while still in bootcamp? Has anyone ever come across this situation? Thanks and have a great day

I may be mistaken, it's been 10 years for us, but don't you have to wait to submit the N400 based on military service until after already going to Basic Training? I know some are able to get it accomplished at Basic Training, while others have to wait until right after completing Basic. We ended up having to wait until she came back from Basic, because they never did it for her while there. They even had a special oath ceremony for us and an entire group of military who weren't able to naturalize at Basic.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline
6 hours ago, JoBri said:

I may be mistaken, it's been 10 years for us, but don't you have to wait to submit the N400 based on military service until after already going to Basic Training? I know some are able to get it accomplished at Basic Training, while others have to wait until right after completing Basic. We ended up having to wait until she came back from Basic, because they never did it for her while there. They even had a special oath ceremony for us and an entire group of military who weren't able to naturalize at Basic.

Im in the national guard, so first say of service is when you swear in, we have something called RSP which is done monthly, so a colonel signed my N426 when I went to the base for my first RSP drill. 

17 hours ago, Lilleem said:

Im in the national guard, so first say of service is when you swear in, we have something called RSP which is done monthly, so a colonel signed my N426 when I went to the base for my first RSP drill. 

What this says may not be relevant in your case, but according to the 7th Army Training Command Legal Assistance Information Soldiers’ Naturalization Checklist, " In most cases, the earliest you can submit your application is during basic training". 

If you can get it done before Basic, then that's wonderful! And congratulations both on soon to be citizenship as well as military service. The military is like home to me, and current and past members feel like extended family. I served in the Army on active duty and then the Army Reserve. And now I am blessed to be a part of that community all over again, through my wife who is serving in the Air Force on active duty. She started out her career by first serving in the Tennessee Air National Guard. Take advantage of every opportunity you get, and embrace it, and most of all enjoy it. Best wishes to you in all your future endeavors.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.