Nitha

How to get OCI stamp on renewed US passport?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
7 hours ago, Nitha said:

Anyone renewed US passport and got the old passport back? My husband renewed his passport and got the new one in mail 2 weeks ago. But didn't receive old passport which  has the OCI visa stamped .What should we do now? Can we get a new stamp on the new passport?

Yes, in most cases, we will return the old, canceled passport to you. The old passport may be sent separately from your new passport. We recommend keeping your old passport in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.

Read #8 https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/passport-help/faqs.html#:~:text=Yes%2C in most cases%2C we,proof of your U.S. citizenship.

Do you have a visa? Because the OCI is a separate booklet unless you got issued years ago when it used to look like a visa sticker.

I-90 Green Card Timeline

05/29/2014: Applied for I-90, Due to an Name Error.

06/12/2014: Biometrics Appointment

02/13/2015: Green Card Was Ordered To Be Produced

02/20/2015: Green Card Has Been Mailed.(Received Tracking Number)

02/23/2015: Green Card Received With Correct Name

N-400 Citizenship Timeline

07/05/2012 = Eligible to apply for Naturalization based on the 5-year rule (90-days rule applied)

01/11/2015 = Sent N-400 Packet (to Phoenix Lockbox Facility via USPS Certified Mail)

01/15/2015 = N-400 Packet Delivered

01/27/2015 = I-912 Approved

02/02/2015 = NOA1 Received (Priority Date 01/15/2015)

02/07/2015 = Biometrics Letter Received (Bio Set for 02/20/2015)

02/25/2015 = In Line for Interview

04/03/2015 = Interview Completed

--- = Oath Letter Received

04/15/2015 = Oath Ceremony!

I-130 Timeline

02/08/2020 - Married

06/02/2020 - Filed I-130 Online

06/02/2020 - NOA1 Received

07/01/2020 - Back to U.S from India 

01/11/2021 - NOA2 Received & Petition Approved

20 hours ago, Jot18 said:

Yes, in most cases, we will return the old, canceled passport to you. The old passport may be sent separately from your new passport. We recommend keeping your old passport in a safe place as it is considered proof of your U.S. citizenship.

Read #8 https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/passport-help/faqs.html#:~:text=Yes%2C in most cases%2C we,proof of your U.S. citizenship.

Do you have a visa? Because the OCI is a separate booklet unless you got issued years ago when it used to look like a visa sticker.

Thanks for replying. 

I will keep waiting for the old passport in mail.

OCI was issued 9 years ago . So I have a visa type sticker on the passport and a separate OCI book. 

Today I got reply from Indian consulate saying :

‘Dear Applicant,

Please be informed that, The OCI card validity is life long. If you renew your US passport you should renew your OCI card via online. It normally takes 30 days.’

There is a misc service for OCI card holders to update passport change and address change.I’m going to do that.
Fee is $25.

I’m just sharing some information I got:

We can travel to India with new passport and OCI book without having old passport in hand till dec 31,2022.

We need to update the passport information within 3 months of issuing new passport.

Address and occupation updates doesn’t need fees.
Edited by Nitha

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.