Phil413

K1 Visa Sealed Envelope and POE Question

6 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hi, my fiancee and I just received an approved K1 visa and sealed envelope from Colombia. The instructions provided from the embassy didn't request English translations of the birth certificate and police reports (in this case Colombia and Germany). However, we had them translated anyway. The consulate gave us the translations back (but I don't remember if they did for the birth certificate). The only English translation the instructions stated was needed is if you have a police record, which she does not. I understand that the sealed visa envelope will have the police reports in it. So, my question is: When she goes through POE, do they need to see English translations? Or do they trust that the embassy reviewed the documents and had no issues? What do they look for in the packet to allow you entry?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline

There is zero chance CBP won’t be able to read Spanish documents.  

At our K-1 POE, the officer opened the packet, skimmed over the contents, told us we had 90 days to get married and stamped my wife’s passport.  

Timeline
10 minutes ago, Mike E said:

There is zero chance CBP won’t be able to read Spanish documents.  

At our K-1 POE, the officer opened the packet, skimmed over the contents, told us we had 90 days to get married and stamped my wife’s passport.  

Oh that's good to know. What about the German police report? The embassy gave the translation back to us.

I think what's confusing is it seems different embassies have slightly different requirements. Some seem to want English translations where others don't. And I don't know what CBP wants to see. I'm just trying to make sure this won't be an issue for them.

I suppose all that matters is the instructions didn't ask for it, the embassy didn't need it, and I assume that CBP won't have any problems. I hope that's not a bad assumption.

Edited by Phil413

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
1 hour ago, Phil413 said:

Oh that's good to know. What about the German police report? The embassy gave the translation back to us.

if CBP wants to read German they can dig up someone who can read German.  

1 hour ago, Phil413 said:

I think what's confusing is it seems different embassies have slightly different requirements. Some seem to want English translations where others don't. And I don't know what CBP wants to see. I'm just trying to make sure this won't be an issue for them.

I suppose all that matters is the instructions didn't ask for it, the embassy didn't need it, and I assume that CBP won't have any problems. I hope that's not a bad assumption.

You aren’t responsible for what the embassy put into the packet.  

And how do you know what is in the packet?

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Mike E said:

You aren’t responsible for what the embassy put into the packet.  

And how do you know what is in the packet?

Well, I obviously don't. I just know they didn't take the translation that we provided with the German police report (or rather gave back to us).

Perhaps I'm just concerned for nothing. I just didn't know how CPB handles things like this.

Edited by Phil413

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
6 hours ago, Phil413 said:

Well, I obviously don't. I just know they didn't take the translation that we provided with the German police report (or rather gave back to us).

Perhaps I'm just concerned for nothing. I just didn't know how CPB handles things like this.

I suppose it never hurts to bring a copy of the German translation if you prefer to be abundantly cautious.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.