slim

Christmas Vacation in the Dominican Republic

44 posts in this topic

Hey if you come to West Michigan we can have lunch too. I wouldnt come at Christmas time its pretty cold here. Summer is nice we can visit the lake.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Hey if you come to West Michigan we can have lunch too. I wouldnt come at Christmas time its pretty cold here. Summer is nice we can visit the lake.

I spent a summer there once... Well, almost all summer - I got so bored and it was so cold there that I ran away to Chicago and was very happy about it ever since. No offense, Thomas, maybe I was in the wrong part of the state...

I spent a summer there once... Well, almost all summer - I got so bored and it was so cold there that I ran away to Chicago and was very happy about it ever since. No offense, Thomas, maybe I was in the wrong part of the state...

Whaaaaat? Chicago isn't exactly the warmest place on earth.

Thanks for the invite, Thomas. Next time HotWire or Orbitz offerst the faresaver deals to West Michigan, I'll check it out. They run the specials about as often as the "Cruise the Ohio river in scenic Cincinnati" deals. So, who knows, maybe in about 4 years we'll be up there.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Whaaaaat? Chicago isn't exactly the warmest place on earth.

For some reason that summer was muuuuch hotter in Chicago. I really don't know why.

For some reason that summer was muuuuch hotter in Chicago. I really don't know why.

Maybe because that's when you met your hubby?

(Or it could be because Chicago is actually one of the hottest metropolitan places in the U.S. during the summer. Not many people realize it, but Chicago usually has one of the first heat-related deaths nationwide, then one of the highest averages of heat-related deaths per-capita. There are a lot of poor and/or old people in the Windy City that don't realize just how hot it gets until it's too late.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
Maybe because that's when you met your hubby?

(Or it could be because Chicago is actually one of the hottest metropolitan places in the U.S. during the summer. Not many people realize it, but Chicago usually has one of the first heat-related deaths nationwide, then one of the highest averages of heat-related deaths per-capita. There are a lot of poor and/or old people in the Windy City that don't realize just how hot it gets until it's too late.)

Chicago is pretty hot in the summer. Boston gets pretty warm too (where I'm from). Everything here in FL is air conditioned - not true up north. OH, IL, MO, etc all get pretty warm in the summer.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Funny thing is my wife loves the heat, being from Siberia with a 1 week summer she likes it very much to the point of not letting me turn on the air when it gets bad outside. I have been to Chicago, cant seem to find the sun cuz of all the buildings and I have yet to get blown away walking around downtown GR.

Thom n Elena

Arrived Grand Rapids 12/13/06

Finally Home

Married 12/28/06 Husband and Wife finally

AOS

Card Received 7/23/07

Aleksandr arrives 8/29/07 7 lbs 19in

ROC

Filed April 21, Received NOA May 5,2009

Biometrics 7/7/2009

Biometrics Cancelled 6/29/09

Reschedule 7/22/09

Biometrics complete only 2 people in office wifey done in 15 min

Letter received New LPR Card in 60 days WOOHOO!!!!

LPR Card Received

The Midwest is probably one of the worst places for heat because it's "sneaky heat." The temperature can be only about 80F but with the humidity and lack of wind, it's more like 110F. In drier air, sweat is able to evaporate and cool the body better. Somewhere like Las Vegas, with it's daily temps above 110F isn't actually as "hot" because of the dryness.

You guys from Florida to East Texas probably have it the worst because you have humidity and very high heat.... DAILY!!!

Русский форум член.

Timeline

Slim,

I might be able to help you get a Caribbean vacation on the cheap, send me a PM if you haven't already made arrangements.

08.24.06 - I-129F sent to VSC

08.30.06 - NOA1

09.01.06 - NOA1 snail mail

09.09.06 - touched

09.15.06 - NAO2 approval via email

09.19.06 - NVC receives package

09.20.06 - NAO2 snail mail

09.26.06 - NVC mails package to US Embassy in Moscow

10.03.06 - Consolate receives package

10.17.06 - Interview prep package received by fiancee

12.12.06 - Approved!

12.16.06 - Picked up visa from DHL office in Moscow

12.20.06 - POE JFK, just in time for the holidays...

02.10.07 - Married, viva Las Vegas!

04.02.07 - AOS mailed

04.10.07 - AOS NAO1 received

05.03.07 - Biometrics @ Varick St., Manhattan

06.05.07 - Request to Appear for Initial Interview received (interview date: July 31)

06.25.07 - EAD card received

06.28.07 - AP document received (thanks for nothin', she'll have her green card before her travel date!)

07.31.07 - Initial interview a breeze!

08.13.07 - Green card arrives in the mail

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Groov, Now I find out you have connections down this way. Story of my life. Day late and a dollar short. Then time starts flying and inflation sets in.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Timeline
Groov, Now I find out you have connections down this way. Story of my life. Day late and a dollar short. Then time starts flying and inflation sets in.

TG, even with a 50% discount it probably wouldn't make financial sense to stay at a Superclubs resort for more than a few weeks :)

My wife and I are hoping to hit Grand Lido Negril in October. If you guys plan to head back or would like to visit a resort hit me up.

08.24.06 - I-129F sent to VSC

08.30.06 - NOA1

09.01.06 - NOA1 snail mail

09.09.06 - touched

09.15.06 - NAO2 approval via email

09.19.06 - NVC receives package

09.20.06 - NAO2 snail mail

09.26.06 - NVC mails package to US Embassy in Moscow

10.03.06 - Consolate receives package

10.17.06 - Interview prep package received by fiancee

12.12.06 - Approved!

12.16.06 - Picked up visa from DHL office in Moscow

12.20.06 - POE JFK, just in time for the holidays...

02.10.07 - Married, viva Las Vegas!

04.02.07 - AOS mailed

04.10.07 - AOS NAO1 received

05.03.07 - Biometrics @ Varick St., Manhattan

06.05.07 - Request to Appear for Initial Interview received (interview date: July 31)

06.25.07 - EAD card received

06.28.07 - AP document received (thanks for nothin', she'll have her green card before her travel date!)

07.31.07 - Initial interview a breeze!

08.13.07 - Green card arrives in the mail

Thanks, groovlstk!

Русский форум член.

Timeline

The superclubs might be great for Slim, and I agree, with us spending months here rather than days it is not right for us. We are quite happy anyway with our cardboard box and newpapers on the park bench. Well within our budget and we don't have to worry about freezing here.

Actually the summer seems like it has flown. Three more weeks and it is back home to the old grind.

Actually it is a lot easier to find a place down here for $ 1000 a night than it is for the $ 55.00 in Barbados and $ 70.00 in Grenada we are paying.

Edited by Turboguy

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

$1000/night is a little out (WAAAAAAY, WAY, OUT!) of our budget. We're looking more like $100/night.

There's no way I could afford a summer at $55/night either, that's amazing!

(I like the new avatar, TG!)

Русский форум член.

Timeline
$1000/night is a little out (WAAAAAAY, WAY, OUT!) of our budget. We're looking more like $100/night.

There's no way I could afford a summer at $55/night either, that's amazing!

(I like the new avatar, TG!)

Well, I am sure I know which direction my savings are going in my account for this summer. Actually $ 55.00 in Barbados and $ 70 in Grenada. Food down here is expensive too and the money differnce gives you shell shock. In Grenada I said we should pick up some paper towels or napkins. She said "What we need those for". When I saw the price tag of $ 17.95 for a pack of napkins I was glad she did not want them. That was about $ 7.00 in real money.

Had a neat day today though. Took a submarine ride to 127 feet down and past an old wreck. Neat experenice.

Thanks for the comment about the avatar. That is one of our photos from here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.