slim

Christmas Vacation in the Dominican Republic

44 posts in this topic

We're trying to go to the Domincan for Christmas/New Years.

We want to fly to an all-inclusive in Punta Cana (or if you know somehwere better... please spill!) and don't want to have our pants pulled down over the price.

If you've been, or are also planning on going, please share your experiences.

And what's the deal with the visa requirements for USC and RFC(w/greencard)??? I know there's the Delta site, but I don't have experience (and am too tired to look right now) so if you could post a link for my lazy @$$, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for replies. (And if anyone would like to donate..... PM for PayPal info.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

I was there for a short while quite a while back and it was sorta ok. My daughter and her husband went in the last year and were a little disappointed. I don't think they will be going back.

You both can go there with no visa requirements. The other options with no visa requirements are Jamaica, Grendada (where i am now) Barbados, (where I will be for 3 weeks starting Sunday) Costa Rica, of course some of the us places like St Thomas, St John or P.R.

Another option you might consider is I know of a small group of men with Russian wives doing a cruise to several islands starting Dec 28th. We would be on it if we had not gotten so tied up with the A/R but now I know the paperwork will not be far enough along.

I think if it were me I would also consider Barbados and Costa Rica as you decide. Visa's would not be a problem with each and you may find them more enjoyable.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline
We're trying to go to the Domincan for Christmas/New Years.

We want to fly to an all-inclusive in Punta Cana (or if you know somehwere better... please spill!) and don't want to have our pants pulled down over the price.

If you've been, or are also planning on going, please share your experiences.

And what's the deal with the visa requirements for USC and RFC(w/greencard)??? I know there's the Delta site, but I don't have experience (and am too tired to look right now) so if you could post a link for my lazy @$$, that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance for replies. (And if anyone would like to donate..... PM for PayPal info.)

Check out apple vacations

Anna and I were married there.

Whoever U book with - make sure you tell them it's a honeymoon!

post-23290-1184327009_thumb.jpg

K1 -visa V S C

05-19-06 : Sent (fedex)

05-30-06 : NOA1 Receipt (mail)

06-23-06 : RFE received (mail) imbra

06-27-06 : RFE Notice of Receipt imbra (email)

07-10-06 : Approved NOA2 (email)

07-12-06 : NOA2 postmarked

07-14-06 : NOA2 received in mail

07-12-06 : NVC received

07-19-06 : Sent to Moscow

07-20-06 : letter from NVC dated July 18 that they rec petition and would forward

07-25-06 : Moscow rec

07-26-06 : DOS tells me that Moscow has sent packet (does not happen in Moscow)

08-19-06 : Moscow sends interview letter

10-05-06 : Interview - CAKE WALK!

See ALL our NOTES

--------------------------------------------------

AOS

12/30/06 - AOS/EAD/AP mailed

01/04/07 - NOA - Receipts (01-08 in mail)

01/11/07 - Appointment letter for BioMeterics

01/19/07 - BioMetrics Appointment AOS/EAD touched

02/20/07 - Received letter for interview

04/24/07 - Interview / Approved / Passport Stamp

05/04/07 - Received Greencard

----------------------------------------------------------------

See ALL our NOTES

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Update your timeline

Russian Meeting Place

Timeline

I lived in the US Virgin Islands( St. Croix) half of my life. A great place to vacation. St. Croix is the largest, and the most laid back. St. Thomas is a tourist zoo but it is right next to the beautiful island of St. John, plus the BVI's (British Virgin Isands) are very close by. Check out Virgin Gorda. If your there for New Years go to Yost Van #######. From what my friends have told me DR is not much fun, more or less a dump and it is not wise to leave the resort properties.

Met Dec. 4 2006

1st visit to Russia - Jan. 23-30.

Engaged Jan. 24

CSC recieved and pending - NOA1 March 1

Touched- March 9 - recieved NOA1 hard copy in mail.

2nd visit - March 12 -27

Touched - May 23 (pleeeeeeeeeeeease)

APPROVED MAY 22 (On 5/25 I did the RFE trick and the CSC said it was approved 5/22. The dufus at USCIS was completely positive they were only working on Nov. 2006 petitions)

May 30th- Petition leaves CSC for NVC.

3rd visit - May 31 - August 31 ( If all goes well she will come home with me!!!)

Left NVC June 11th (I called everyday since 5/30 and they never recieved it??? Then on 6/13 I called and it was not only recieved but already sent to the embassy 6/11?? 

INTERVIEW 8/22

July 3rd-Recieved Packet

8/22 Interview was a sucess!!!

8/31 We arrive at JFK. Problem free entry.

10/26 Married!

1/15/08 Sent I-485

2/26 NOA

3/21 Biometrics Appointment

3/29 Received EAD Card

Timeline

I believe she has her greencard which would open the US Virgin Islands for her. I have little experience there other than a few days in St Thomas a few years ago. Sitting here in Grenada which is one of the options they would have I would be hard pressed to recommend it as a choice. I think it depends a little on what is important to them. I think if they are looking primarily for a nice beach D.R. is excellent.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
He said he was looking for a place where they both could go. I am not sure, but I don't think she can enter the US Virgin islands without a US visa.

USVI is definitely fine with a GC (or without for that matter). The Virgin Islands have been part of the US since 1917, are US Citizens, and have a congressman in DC.

Mexico is another possibility. Plenty of bargains to be had - a friend of mine just got back yesterday.

And Florida has some great (and cheap) spots too. I know everyone thinks of Disney World, but south of Naples, Florida is not much different from the carribean. No people, clear water, same climate. Hiring a boat and going to the 10,000 islands, dry tortugas, and the keys is lots of fun. Very cheap as well (since you aren't paying for hotels or food). Key West and Marathon are really the only civilization down there.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Thanks for the replies, everyone. Special thanks for the website, twincactus.

Here's the deal:

I want somewhere with a nice room (with A/C and cable.... maybe even a hot tub/jacuzzi) and free all-you-can-eat food and all-you-can-drink alcoholic beverages with little umbrellas in them. I'd also like to be on a beach (don't even care about the quality as I'm a pasty white guy and don't really enjoy sitting in the sun unless I have my SPF 1000 on, and even then I'm in the shade) and to go fishing, snorkelling/scuba, hiking, maybe for an ATV ride through the hills, and the rest of the vacation, just chillin out in the shade sippin some of those free drinks. (Oh, and I almost forgot... maybe a little night-life.)

She would like a nice suite (big bed, hot tub, fireplace, mini-bar (actually, I'd like a mini-bar too!) big bath/shower, etc.) with a balcony that overlooks clear blue water and white sand. There has to be a spa that will do facials, manicures, pedicures, massage, aroma-therapy... the works. A lounge chair (just one.... I won't be out there!) on the beach with a personal servant. Horseback riding, tango/ballroom/salsa dancing, very nice restaurants, maybe some cultural history or local shows, etc.

I'm thinking Motel-6 near the water, she's thinking Waldorf-Astoria of Punta Cana. So, the best compromise is the cheapest all-inclusive we can find. In reality we're going to be hard-pressed (financially) to make Punta Cana happen, so we may end up in Cancun or Cozumel, or maybe even somewhere south of Naples. Christmas time is the only time I could maximize my vacation usage (5 or 6 days used vacation time with about 16 days off from work!) and the end of the year is how long we're going to have to save until in order to be able to afford this trip. Bottom line, I'd like to spend about $2,000 on just the package (airfare, shuttle, accomodations, food/beverages, recreation) and not have to spend much on anything else. I've yet to see that at PUJ except for last-minute trips. It's usually more like $2,555/person for a week. Last minutes can be had from here (CVG) for under $700.

If you guys see some specials or something, let us know. Thanks in advance.

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline

Christmas and New Years are not a time you can get any last minute special deals. You mention it will take you till then to be able to save the money. I think if you went 6 weeks earlier you could do it at half the price that you could going then. Just a thought.

A lot of what you want is available at most resort properties so that part should not be hard. Maybe a few parts might be a little tougher but not impossible.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I wouldn't even look at Naples or south towards the keys for that time of year. Everyone and their brother is there for Christmas, and it ain't cheap. For what you describe, you won't find anything under $500/night+. The Ritz, the Registry, and the Naples Beach Club are really the only places that fit your description anyway. Similar service in the keys is just as pricey. There is no real nightlife in Naples.

South Beach in Miami may be a good choice. There are a million hotels, and you can end up on the water for less than $100/night if you are careful -- even during christmas. I've stayed there for New Years before. There isn't much family appeal, so prices don't seem to go up much. Obviously the nightlife is good. The fishing is not. There are a bunch of airports to choose from, flights should be cheap.

You may find some deals in Venuzuela, but the flight will be more expensive.

I have never stayed at an all-inclusive resort, but I like to eat at different places. I would get sick of the same food every day. Even in DR/Jamiaca, I don't think you will find any in-season for less than 800pp/ per week.

Doing a cruise along with a week in Florida/Mexico may work better with your budget. The cruise part has the all-inclusive food/some level of service, and then add on a week at your motel 6 on the beach. You end up paying through the nose for drinks on a cruise, so be sneaky about smuggling booze on the ship (my friends fill water bottles with vodka). Miami is usually the cheapest place to leave from. You can do about $60/pp per day if you are careful. I would probably do this: $300 each for the cruise (Mexico, Miami, Key West), then 7 days on South Beach ($700 for a hotel better than Motel 6, within a block of the ocean). $200 each for flights. With no car, that is about $1,700 total for 11 days or so. $70/day for food and drinks only puts you about 20% over budget.

Thailand is a bargain, though the flight there will be the major expense.

to be able to afford this trip. Bottom line, I'd like to spend about $2,000 on just the package (airfare, shuttle, accomodations, food/beverages, recreation) and not have to spend much on anything else. I've yet to see that at PUJ except for last-minute trips. It's usually more like $2,555/person for a week. Last minutes can be had from here (CVG) for under $700.

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

I think if you went 6 weeks earlier you could do it at half the price that you could going then. Just a thought.

Will take that into consideration. However, the vacation time/missed work aspect probably puts the savings on the vacation right back to where the total price would be around Christmas time.

South Beach in Miami may be a good choice. There are a million hotels, and you can end up on the water for less than $100/night if you are careful -- even during christmas. I've stayed there for New Years before. There isn't much family appeal, so prices don't seem to go up much. Obviously the nightlife is good. The fishing is not. There are a bunch of airports to choose from, flights should be cheap.

I wouldn't mind going to Miami, but we're trying to go "international" this time. (We'll see what the pocketbook allows... may just be a domestic trip, afterall!)

You may find some deals in Venuzuela, but the flight will be more expensive.

I have never stayed at an all-inclusive resort, but I like to eat at different places. I would get sick of the same food every day. Even in DR/Jamiaca, I don't think you will find any in-season for less than 800pp/ per week.

We're going to look all around the Caribbean and Central/South America. I know there are deals out there. I've heard nothing but good things about many places there, it's the airfare that's going to kill us. $20/night beachfront in Honduras is awesome, but a $3,000 airfare kills that.

Doing a cruise along with a week in Florida/Mexico may work better with your budget. The cruise part has the all-inclusive food/some level of service, and then add on a week at your motel 6 on the beach. You end up paying through the nose for drinks on a cruise, so be sneaky about smuggling booze on the ship (my friends fill water bottles with vodka). Miami is usually the cheapest place to leave from. You can do about $60/pp per day if you are careful. I would probably do this: $300 each for the cruise (Mexico, Miami, Key West), then 7 days on South Beach ($700 for a hotel better than Motel 6, within a block of the ocean). $200 each for flights. With no car, that is about $1,700 total for 11 days or so. $70/day for food and drinks only puts you about 20% over budget.

A great option, and probably our best bet, moneywise. Thanks for the scenarios, Russ.

Thailand is a bargain, though the flight there will be the major expense.

Thailand would be awesome, and perhaps someday we'll get there. However, I don't think the major expense would be airfare... it would be the "rent" for sitting in the doghouse the whole trip. The "night-life" in Thailand is remarkable, but for some reason, I don't think the wife and I would see eye-to-eye on it. Thus, the doghouse for me.

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline
We're trying to go to the Dominican for Christmas/New Years...And what's the deal with the visa requirements for USC and RFC(w/greencard)??? I know there's the Delta site, but I don't have experience (and am too tired to look right now) so if you could post a link for my lazy @$$, that would be awesome.
"Visa not required for a max. stay of 30 days, provided holding

Tourist Card (issued on arrival). No photos required.

Fee: USD 10.-"

http://www.delta.com/planning_reservations...rt_information/

Slim,

As for budget vacations with all the things you want you are probably best off doing an all inclusive resort in Cancun / Rivera Maya in the off peak season between September and November. If you are lucky you might pull it off for about $500-$1000 per person all inclusive with airfare / hotel / food / and drinks. Stay at the resort to save money. All those excursions make the trip cost add up fast. If you do a cruise you'll lose out on the deal by all the money you'll spend off the ship and at the bar on the ship.

As for a good room, the closer you are off peak season the better chance you are off getting a good suite upgrade for little money.

Timeline

Cancun and the Mexican River are supposed to be very nice. My limit is a few hours on a cruise stop in Cancun. Personally I think you are going to have to make some sacrifices to what you want to do or what you want to spend or when you want to spend it.

As far as locations, the things you talked about in activities would be a little more difficult in some locations. We are in Barbados now. we just arrived yesterday. In Grenada where we were you had a choice of swimming or swiming or swimming. if you wanted to get creative you could tour a rum plantation or a few small things but there was not much to do. In Barbados it is the opposite. You could spend weeks finding new things to do like renting an ATV, or a moped, or a mountain bike or a moke which is a cool 4wd vehicle. You could take a two hour submarine ride to 110 feet or use one of the self propelled underwater things like in the james bond movies, go on a glass bottom boat, or a day trip on a catamarain, ride horses, go to any of 6 golf courses, minauture golf, tennis, para sailing, water skiing, scuba diving etc. I am not even scratching the surface. I think in the Domican Republic you will find it much like Grenada, Nice beaches, a few nice restaurants, a casino, clear water, good swimming, great for suntans but not much like you said you were looking for.

I think you should look at the Mexican Rivera (you may need a visa for her) Barbados, or Miami. the Bahamas might have the activities you look for but again a visa is needed for her.

I think from Christmas to the End of Feb is going to be expensive. Finding a better time might let you get more value for your money.

Cancun and the Mexican River are supposed to be very nice. My limit is a few hours on a cruise stop in Cancun. Personally I think you are going to have to make some sacrifices to what you want to do or what you want to spend or when you want to spend it.

As far as locations, the things you talked about in activities would be a little more difficult in some locations. We are in Barbados now. we just arrived yesterday. In Grenada where we were you had a choice of swimming or swiming or swimming. if you wanted to get creative you could tour a rum plantation or a few small things but there was not much to do. In Barbados it is the opposite. You could spend weeks finding new things to do like renting an ATV, or a moped, or a mountain bike or a moke which is a cool 4wd vehicle. You could take a two hour submarine ride to 110 feet or use one of the self propelled underwater things like in the james bond movies, go on a glass bottom boat, or a day trip on a catamarain, ride horses, go to any of 6 golf courses, minauture golf, tennis, para sailing, water skiing, scuba diving etc. I am not even scratching the surface. I think in the Domican Republic you will find it much like Grenada, Nice beaches, a few nice restaurants, a casino, clear water, good swimming, great for suntans but not much like you said you were looking for.

If there's a casino there.... I better not go! No matter how much the vacation costs, if there's a casino, it's going to cost DOUBLE DOWN!!! (I love gambling!.... but I'm not so lucky (good?) at it. Actually, I'm really good for the first hour or so. It's the other 9 hours that kill me. I know, I know, you're supposed to take the money and run. The longer you spend in the casino, the odds shift back in the house's favor.... I just can't help it. I have too much fun, and I keep telling myself "a 300% return is not enough. YOU NEED MORE!!!!" Stupid. Stupid. Stupid. But, that's why I have a wife now. She's good at telling me "Hey! That's enough. You've more than doubled up... let's go!" There's one thing that's more important than money!!!)

Thanks for the info Turboguy. I will take that into consideration and we'll probably be looking long and hard all over the Caribbean and Central America in the next few months.

I think you should look at the Mexican Rivera (you may need a visa for her) Barbados, or Miami. the Bahamas might have the activities you look for but again a visa is needed for her.

I think from Christmas to the End of Feb is going to be expensive. Finding a better time might let you get more value for your money.

The value for me is going to be getting the most time off from work with the least amount of used vacation days, and Christmas is best for that. Even if I would save an extra $1000+ on the package, having another week of vacation days saved up will enable us to take another (albeit, a smaller) vacation (while still getting paid) and will save us money again in the future.

Русский форум член.

Filed: Country: Russia
Timeline

Slim, if you do come to St. Croix let me know as Ksenia and I live here and would love to do lunch or somthing. It's an OK place.... for a week or two :wacko:

K1

07-18-05 NOA1

08-06-05 NOA2

11-02-05 Petition arrives NVC, lost 85 Days after NOA2!

02-15-06 Interview Moscow (Visa approved)

02-20-06 Visa received

02-27-06 Arrives USA - POE Dallas

AOS

04-03-06 NOA1

04-17-06 Biometrics

07-20-06 Success!

LIFE

03-04-06 Married!

02-07-07 Our daughter is born!

08-01-07 Inlaws visit for 26 days.

06-03-09 Our Son is born!

09-20-09 Mother in-law for 2.5 months.

Remove Conditions

05-13-08 NOA1

06-12-08 Biometrics

04-08-09 Success!

Naturalization

04-23-09 Mailed N400

04-29-09 NOA1

05-20-09 Biometrics

07-22-09 Interview Success!

09-23-09 Oath

Thanks for the invite!

Русский форум член.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.