slim

Christmas Vacation in the Dominican Republic

44 posts in this topic

That was about $ 7.00 in real money.

It doesn't seem like real money until you convert it, does it? When you're spending all those "funny colored papers" it seems like Monopoly money or something. Doesn't really hurt until the Greenbacks are calculated.

Had a neat day today though. Took a submarine ride to 127 feet down and past an old wreck. Neat experenice.

Awesome!

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Well the sticker shock gets to you a bit. We have eaten most of our meals at home. Whey you pick up a small whole chicken in the supermarket and look at the price and it says $ 25.00 even though that is only $ 12.50 in real money it does make you pause for a second. A little lean cuisine personal pizza is $ 10.00 The last meal we ate out a 6 oz burger and fries were $ 20.00. in a very ordinary restaurant.

When you go to the grocery store and have two little plastic bags of groceries and the tab went over $ 100.00 it does make you think.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

I would think about going somewhere else!

How can the locals afford to eat? (If you don't see where I'm going with this.... where/what do they eat? Maybe you could eat the same things or at the same places.)

Русский форум член.

Ensure your beneficiary makes and brings with them to the States a copy of the DS-3025 (vaccination form)

If the government is going to force me to exercise my "right" to health care, then they better start requiring people to exercise their Right to Bear Arms. - "Where's my public option rifle?"

Timeline
I would think about going somewhere else!

How can the locals afford to eat? (If you don't see where I'm going with this.... where/what do they eat? Maybe you could eat the same things or at the same places.)

Our grocery shopping has been in the supermarkets the locals visit. We have even looked for the cheapest markets to shop in but they are mostly about the same. We avoid the "convenience store" type places.

During our first 6 weeks here we only ate in a restaurant one time and that was in a food court at the mall. In the last few days we did hit one restaurant for a Lobster dinner for her surf and turf for me and the burger joint I talked about so we are now up to 3 restaurant meals. I don't really care and am not complaining just trying to give some insight into life here.

We also have not done much high speed tourist stuff but we are going out today and riding jet skis

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Sounds like you guys are having fun. That's really cool! You're lucky to be somewhere that you can enjoy each other's company... that's priceless. (Although I'm sure when you convert it to "real money" it's going to be quite pricey! - maybe better to not convert it!)

It's amazing to me the food is so expensive. I would probably drop under two bills if I moved there. (Elena might make me move now!)

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Timeline

We got curious how much people made who live both here in Barbados and in Granada since the food and housing is so high. We did a little internet search and found the per capita income in Barbados is $ 7,000 and in Grenada $ 2700.00 We then found a forum for the students who came from America to study here with three pages of discussion where they are trying to figure out how the natives afford the grocery prices here.

Timeline

Sure, eat what they eat. I am not sure which grossed me out the worst in the supermarket. The package with about 50 chicken feet (tallons might be the right word) all lined up in a row in the package or the package of beef toungues.

They buy a lot of their stuff at the outdoor market on Saturday morning and it is a wonder they are not all in the hospital by sunday night.

Timeline

Sure, eat what they eat. I am not sure which grossed me out the worst in the supermarket. The package with about 50 chicken feet (tallons might be the right word) all lined up in a row in the package or the package of beef toungues.

They buy a lot of their stuff at the outdoor market on Saturday morning and it is a wonder they are not all in the hospital by sunday night.

LOL :lol:

Reminds me of the open air meat market in Khabarovsk...

meat1.jpg

Check out the butcher with the broad axe.

meat2.jpg

725268776.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

I've seen such markets in every Russian city I've been to. They are open every day.

If you spend any time on a farm or at a butcher shop in the states, you would see worse :)

Just imagine how all that tasty salami in Russia is made...

2004-08-23: Met in Chicago

2005-10-19: K-1 Interview, Moscow (approved)

2007-02-23: Biometrics

2007-04-11: AOS Interview (Approved)

Sounds a lot like Korea..... and Russia, and just about every other country in the world. The only reason stuff in the U.S. looks cleaner is because it "looks" cleaner. It's still a cut-up dead animal, it's just packaged. (and refrigerated!)

I don't know about eating chicken talons or beef tongues daily, but you could probably find something at the markets that is edible and significantly cheaper than what you're eating now.

Edited: Where's the seafood???? (All that rice and you can't throw a piece of fish in there without breaking the bank?)

Edited by slim

Русский форум член.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline
Edited: Where's the seafood???? (All that rice and you can't throw a piece of fish in there without breaking the bank?)

Seafood is regional - transportation is not really Russia's best service (as you know, we don't have roads there - just destinations) so fresh SEAfood stays by the SEA shores, like Vladivostok or the Caucasus. Fish and other fresh water creatures can be bought at such open markets the same way as meat, but it will be the catch of the day of some guy who wants to make a couple of rubles. There are alternatives though:

- the catch of the day of the fish farm (alive, of course, the gutting is part of the fun)

- or the catch of the day of the super pricey supermarkets and you can get anything you want, alive or gutted, shelled or soft, you name it, but the price...

This is the situation with my home-town at least.

Filed: Other Country: Russia
Timeline

Seafood is regional - transportation is not really Russia's best service (as you know, we don't have roads there - just destinations) so fresh SEAfood stays by the SEA shores, like Vladivostok or the Caucasus. Fish and other fresh water creatures can be bought at such open markets the same way as meat, but it will be the catch of the day of some guy who wants to make a couple of rubles. There are alternatives though:

- the catch of the day of the fish farm (alive, of course, the gutting is part of the fun)

- or the catch of the day of the super pricey supermarkets and you can get anything you want, alive or gutted, shelled or soft, you name it, but the price...

This is the situation with my home-town at least.

Well, this post would be more relevant in the food thread, wouldn't it?

I don't know. All I know is I'm hungry!

Русский форум член.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

For what it's worth ...

We went to the Domincan Republic and stayed at an all-inclusive resort. We stayed at the Coral by Hiton and we had a wonderful time. The meals were included in the price, rooms were air conditioned, right on the beach, included bar drinks, jacuzzi, balcony looking over the ocean. It was just great. We only needed our passports (mine US, hers Russian) and do the money conversion in the airport. It was the only place that was regulated.

The official name (if you want to do a search for it) is Hamaca Coral by Hilton, Boca Chica ... it is about 45 minutes from Santo Domingo. The average nightly rate is about $110 if you book direct. If you want my travel agent's name, you can PM me and I'll give it to you. She is Russian and she claimed to know what Russians expect when on a vacation ... she was right.

Take care,

Dwayne and Natalia

Dwayne (Denver, CO - USA) / Natalia (Mendeleevsk, Tatarstan, Russia)

July, 2003 - Met online

March 5 - March 17, 2004 - Spent 2 AWESOME weeks together in the Dominican Republic

May 1st, 2004 - I-129F to Nebraska - Sent Registed Mail

May 6th, 2004 - NOA #1

May 12, 2004 - Received NOA #1 in mail

NOA #2 - August 10th - Approved - 96 days

August 11, 2004 - Received NOA #2 Notice via email

August 26th, 2004 - Petition arrives at NVC and case number assigned - 112 days

August 27th, 2004 - Received tourist visa from Russian consulate for visit ...

August 30th, 2004 - NOA2 arrives in mailbox

September 9th - 16th, 2004 - Visited Natalia for a week vacation in Moscow!!!! - Awesome time!

September 13th, 2004 - Successful Medical Exam in Moscow - have sealed envelope and X-Rays

September 15th, 2004 - NVC sent off to Moscow

September 23rd, 2004 - Interview date granted

October 4th, 2004 - Received Packet 3/4 from Moscow

November 10th, 2004 - Interview Moscow !!!! - 188 days

November 10th, 2004 - Interview Success !!!!

November 15th, 2004 - K-1 Visa in Hand!!!

November 20th, 2004 - Flight to USA on Aeroflot - JFK POE - 198 days!!!!

November 20th, 2004 - At home in Denver, Colorado, USA

December 10th, 2004 - Married !!!!!

AOS

February 15th, 2005 - NOA

March 14th, 2005 - Recieved NOA in mail

March 15th, 2005 - Fingerprint appointment made in Denver

May 27th, 2005 - AOS Interview - Approved!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.