Mrs. Cristiano

Start working the day after GC interview

9 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Indonesia
Timeline

I'm adjusting from K1 visa and my interview will be next week. I dont get my EAD card yet. Which I believe at this point, I won't get my combo card. I practically got job offer , the employer really need me to start working ASAP. But wants me to be legally work. Let's say if I got my GC approved on the spot in my interview day, can I start to work the very next day ?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

You can ask for an I-551 stamp there. If they agree, that is valid as a GC and you can start working. 

Thank you so much!

Timeline
1 minute ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Btw, do you already have an SSN?

Yes I have SSN. I just read that I-551only aplicable for someone who already have GC though. Is that right ?

33 minutes ago, Mrs. Cristiano said:

I'm adjusting from K1 visa and my interview will be next week. I dont get my EAD card yet. Which I believe at this point, I won't get my combo card. I practically got job offer , the employer really need me to start working ASAP. But wants me to be legally work. Let's say if I got my GC approved on the spot in my interview day, can I start to work the very next day ?

The immigration officer after my GC Interview said - I’ll have the GC in mail by one week. 
my F.O was San Bernardino, CA 

I’d just wait one week to get GC in Hand than do any further paperwork and complications 

your employer is not willing to wait ? 

9 minutes ago, Mrs. Cristiano said:

Yes I have SSN. I just read that I-551only aplicable for someone who already have GC though. Is that right ?

Good. 

The stamp is used when someone is already an LPR but does not have the physical card. That's why you need to inquire at the end of the interview -if approved-.

To add on that, the process implies being interviewed by an officer who will forward the case for review by a supervisor afterwards. Sometimes supervisors are the ones interviewing, so that can expedite the process. You can also request talking to a supervisor after the interview.

What I suggested is not a common practice but if you are in such a rush, you lose nothing requesting the stamp.

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Timeline
Just now, RishDan said:

The immigration officer after my GC Interview said - I’ll have the GC in mail by one week. 
my F.O was San Bernardino, CA 

I’d just wait one week to get GC in Hand than do any further paperwork and complications 

your employer is not willing to wait ? 

What is any further paperwork that u meant ? Well.. they've been waiting for me for MY EAD card. But I didn't get anything till the employer called me again today. Then we agreed to wait for my interview result. She said "if you got approved on the spot, I see no problem for you to start working the very next day then". On that point, I kinda doubting if I could and if it's legal ? That's why I asked here and there. Some people said I can, but mostly said that I have to wait for the actual physical card. I'm confused, and of course I worried that I will lose the opportunity to work with them :(

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Good. 

The stamp is used when someone is already an LPR but does not have the physical card. That's why you need to inquire at the end of the interview -if approved-.

To add on that, the process implies being interviewed by an officer who will forward the case for review by a supervisor afterwards. Sometimes supervisors are the ones interviewing, so that can expedite the process. You can also request talking to a supervisor after the interview.

What I suggested is not a common practice but if you are in such a rush, you lose nothing requesting the stamp.

Thank you so much. You have a lot knowledge. That's so cool!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.