mtaheri

Job offer in the US

4 posts in this topic

So I’m in a bit of a pickle.

I’ve just received a job offer in the US that would require me to relocate by May.  I’m a US citizen.  Both my children are US citizens but my wife is Canadian.  I understand there’s no way to get an expedited GC so if I were to do this, I’d basically have to live in the US without my family for 1-2 years.

Part of the problem is that my wife used to have GC - but we voluntarily relinquished it back 4 years ago because we didn’t think we’d be moving back to the US and didn’t want to deal with trying to maintain residency.

I really don’t know what to do.   Should I take the job and move and take a chance on the GC?  Or turn it down and stay in Canada.  Deep down we’d like to move back to the US but I don’t know if it’s worth being away from the family for that long.  The job would be paying very well otherwise I wouldn’t even be considering this.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I got excited when I saw the DCF until I found out that Montreal doesn’t do that.  Is anyone else separated or considering being separated from their family (and young children) in order to do this?

29 minutes ago, mtaheri said:

So I’m in a bit of a pickle.

I’ve just received a job offer in the US that would require me to relocate by May.  I’m a US citizen.  Both my children are US citizens but my wife is Canadian.  I understand there’s no way to get an expedited GC so if I were to do this, I’d basically have to live in the US without my family for 1-2 years.

Part of the problem is that my wife used to have GC - but we voluntarily relinquished it back 4 years ago because we didn’t think we’d be moving back to the US and didn’t want to deal with trying to maintain residency.

I really don’t know what to do.   Should I take the job and move and take a chance on the GC?  Or turn it down and stay in Canada.  Deep down we’d like to move back to the US but I don’t know if it’s worth being away from the family for that long.  The job would be paying very well otherwise I wouldn’t even be considering this.

Does anyone have any ideas?  I got excited when I saw the DCF until I found out that Montreal doesn’t do that.  Is anyone else separated or considering being separated from their family (and young children) in order to do this?

Yes, unfortunately some separation is part of most immigration processes for families.  Montreal is also particularly strict on the issue of domicile.

I recommend you file a CR-1 for her straight away, and request an expedite based on financial loss perhaps.  In US immigration language, "expedite" does not mean fast, but it could possibly shorten your process.

As USCs, your children can move with you, or visit freely.  And as a Canadian, your wife should be able to easily visit while things are processing.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

All Consulates can do DCF.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.