mybackpages

MENA/USA marriages

70 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline

I hesitate to mention this but we do have a difference in opinion on whether to cover my head. My opinion is no, and his is yes. This will cause friction at times I"m sure but we both do agree that in the end it is MY decision.

12/28/06 - got married :)

02/05/07 - I-130 NOA1

02/21/07 - I-129 NOA1

04/09/07 - I-130 and I-129F approval email sent!!!!

04/26/07 - Packet 3 received

06/16/07 - Medical Examination

06/26/07 - Packet 3 SUBMITTED FINALLY!!!!

07/07/07 - Received pkt 4

07/22/07 - interview consular never bothered to show up for work.

07/29/07 - interview.

4_6_109v.gif

Ron Paul 2008

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Egypt
Timeline
I'd rather implode from trapped gas than fart in front of my husband (or really anyone else besides my kids). However, apparently I did pass gas once in my sleep. I accused Moh of purposely staying awake just to catch me farting. :lol:

hahaaaaaa....

I did the same thing.. I woke myself out of sleep :lol:

I laid there.. Stunned.. :blink:

then a mintue later he farted in his sleep..

so then I didnt feel bad and when back asleep :thumbs::whistle:

Edited by deemabrouk

06.14.2006 - Got Married in Alexandria, Egypt :) :) :)

05.23.2007 - INTERVIEW DATE!!!!!!! inshallah.......

*** Interview is a SUCCESS !!!! *** now for a speedy AP!! inshallah...

06.18.2007 - Starting to Freak Out over this AP #######

06.27.2007 - Visa In Hand.. Alhamdulillah!

07.13.2007 - Husband arrives in the US!!! alhamdulillah ..yup.. thats right Friday the 13th!!

07.24.2007 - Mailed in AOS & EAD together to Chicago

It doesn't matter what you say

I just can't stay here every yesterday

Like keep on acting out the same

The way we act out

Every way to smile

Forget

And make-believe we never needed

Any more than this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cf6k4yJyv0

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Xv6lHwWwO3w

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
Well I think giving up my whole structure is going to be a big sacrafice. I've lived alone with my girls for 9 years so I'll have to:

1) think about cooking for an extra, more hungry person

2) not be sitting on the couch doing nothing at night anymore

3) not rip one when ever I want to anymore or burp the alphabet after a big diet coke :blush:

Stuff like that.

Actually, I WISH that Hicham would NOT rip ANY in front of me. He's awful!!! ROTTEN!!!! He claims that he smells like jasmine....I beg to differ!!!! :huh:

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I'd rather implode from trapped gas than fart in front of my husband (or really anyone else besides my kids). However, apparently I did pass gas once in my sleep. I accused Moh of purposely staying awake just to catch me farting. :lol:

hahaaaaaa....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

MoFlair.jpgbadsign.jpgfaris.jpgpassport.jpg

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Egypt
Timeline

The only real change I made is that I cook almost every night which I really didn't do before he came here. I also don't go out with the girls as much as I did, but we do a lot more with couples.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

I made very small changes. I am a family person. My life revolves around my immediate family and he just fit right in the scheme of that. My husbands likes and appreciates me for just who I am.

My husband had to make changes. He quit smoking and drinking almost a year ago. :thumbs: That was my only request so far. I am glad our lifestyles are compatible.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline
I hesitate to mention this but we do have a difference in opinion on whether to cover my head. My opinion is no, and his is yes. This will cause friction at times I"m sure but we both do agree that in the end it is MY decision.

Mohammed and I have this same discussion. He does agree that it is my decision, but seems to think that after we are married my decision will be to cover lol. His sisters do not and his answer was I am not their husband! Oh well we will cross that bridge when we get to it. As far as everything else goes I think compromise is the key word. When I asked him in the past about recipes so I can cook for him food he loves his answer was basically I am coming to America...cook what you cook..at least till we open the resturaunt!

capture1-1.jpg

Picture114-1.jpg

Our Timeline

Sent I-129 f to csc on Dec 23,2006

Received Dec 26th

NOA1 Jan 3,2007

Check cashed Jan 5,2007

Touched Jan 13,2007

Touched May 15,2007

Touched July 17,2007

Touched July 18,2007

Touched July 20,2007

Touched July 22,2007

Touched Aug 12,2007

Touched Aug 13,2007

Touched Aug 14,2007

Touched Aug 15,2007

Touched Aug 22,2007

NOA2!!! Oct 31,2007

Case forwarded to Casa Nov 19, 2007

Interview Feb 6.2008

APPROVAL!!!

AP......now we wait

11-08-08 arrived in Atlanta

11-20-08 MARRIED!!!!!

Timeline

I was reading this article in a magazine while waiting at the doctor's office. It was called the fish test. It was given to both men and women. It gives you a scenario. Say you're at home, making some fish on the stove for you and your SO. When you go to take the fish out of the pan, one of filets starts to crumble apart, so that it's broken into several unattractive pieces. You proceed to put the fish on the plates, as well as the rice and vegetables. When you go to the dinner table to set out the plates, which fish piece to you give to your SO, the nice looking one, or the unattractive one?

Well, during the study (and this happened to me too), most of the women already knew where the scenario was going by the time it said "one of the filets starts to crumble apart" However, most of the men did not. And the men in the study also were shown to not realize that their wives were making such daily "sacrifices." The article also talked about how women tend to look for these little ways to scarfice, as a way to show their love, but men tend to see their scarifice in other terms, such as working to support the family.

I'm sure every single one of us would give the good fish to our husbands. And is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so; it's nice to do something for the other person. But the problem is when the other person doesn't even recognize it as a sacrifice. And pretty soon, we're left with nothing of ourselves because we've given it all away.

I've made lots of sacrifices that I didn't think I would have done. And the majority of them are small things that weren't important to me anyway. But I think we should never sacrifice on the big issues. If our SOs can understand the importance of these big issues to our sense of self, then maybe there is something wrong with the relationship.

timeline doesn't matter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I was reading this article in a magazine while waiting at the doctor's office. It was called the fish test. It was given to both men and women. It gives you a scenario. Say you're at home, making some fish on the stove for you and your SO. When you go to take the fish out of the pan, one of filets starts to crumble apart, so that it's broken into several unattractive pieces. You proceed to put the fish on the plates, as well as the rice and vegetables. When you go to the dinner table to set out the plates, which fish piece to you give to your SO, the nice looking one, or the unattractive one?

Well, during the study (and this happened to me too), most of the women already knew where the scenario was going by the time it said "one of the filets starts to crumble apart" However, most of the men did not. And the men in the study also were shown to not realize that their wives were making such daily "sacrifices." The article also talked about how women tend to look for these little ways to scarfice, as a way to show their love, but men tend to see their scarifice in other terms, such as working to support the family.

I'm sure every single one of us would give the good fish to our husbands. And is there anything wrong with that? I don't think so; it's nice to do something for the other person. But the problem is when the other person doesn't even recognize it as a sacrifice. And pretty soon, we're left with nothing of ourselves because we've given it all away.

I've made lots of sacrifices that I didn't think I would have done. And the majority of them are small things that weren't important to me anyway. But I think we should never sacrifice on the big issues. If our SOs can understand the importance of these big issues to our sense of self, then maybe there is something wrong with the relationship.

Good post. And I think that's totally spot on about the fish. The thing is though that if one is truly doing it out of love, then recognition shouldn't matter. That is a hard pill to swallow, for me at least.

Timeline

Good post. And I think that's totally spot on about the fish. The thing is though that if one is truly doing it out of love, then recognition shouldn't matter. That is a hard pill to swallow, for me at least.

I think you're right that (in principal) the recognition shouldn't matter. And something small like the fist, who cares if they noticed or not? The point is that I noticed that it's the good thing to do, which means I should do it, and who cares if the other person sees that? But I think the problem is when we start to sacrifice one thing after another over the years and none of it registers to the other person. And at least for me, the more that I sacrifice that goes unnoticed, the more I sacrifice again so that it does get noticed. And this isn't even in just my relationship with my husband. It's not so much that I want the other person to notice it and give me medal or soemthing; I want them to see that I care. It's just a matter of not giving up too much to show people this.

timeline doesn't matter.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline
I think you're right that (in principal) the recognition shouldn't matter. And something small like the fist, who cares if they noticed or not? The point is that I noticed that it's the good thing to do, which means I should do it, and who cares if the other person sees that? But I think the problem is when we start to sacrifice one thing after another over the years and none of it registers to the other person. And at least for me, the more that I sacrifice that goes unnoticed, the more I sacrifice again so that it does get noticed. And this isn't even in just my relationship with my husband. It's not so much that I want the other person to notice it and give me medal or soemthing; I want them to see that I care. It's just a matter of not giving up too much to show people this.

Yup, a very narrow line to walk, IMO. At what point does a person stop being a big-hearted, self-sacrificing person and turn into a doormat? I think there must be a point where too much sacrifice leads to a lack of respect, which is counterintuitive to some degree. I find that kind of sad, but it happens to people every day - at work, in relationships - romantic and otherwise. I would like to think that I'm not the type of person who would fail to recognize the sacrifices and even the small gestures of others, but I think everyone is guilty of this to some extent.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline
hahaaaaaa....

you need to introduce him to this time honored ritual between married couples :whistle:

dutchoven.gif

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Thanks for the great post. This is where my mind was even if I couldnt get the words out right n the first post. I think not only should our SOs understand the importance of the big issues, we have to understand what are the big issues for ourselves as well.

I am not so sure we always know when we are allowing ourselves to slip away.

BTW My husbands gives me the nice fish and i always insist I take the broken one. Wonder what that says about me LOL

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Yup, a very narrow line to walk, IMO. At what point does a person stop being a big-hearted, self-sacrificing person and turn into a doormat? I think there must be a point where too much sacrifice leads to a lack of respect, which is counterintuitive to some degree. I find that kind of sad, but it happens to people every day - at work, in relationships - romantic and otherwise. I would like to think that I'm not the type of person who would fail to recognize the sacrifices and even the small gestures of others, but I think everyone is guilty of this to some extent.

And sometimes the sacrifices lead to a lost of your sense of identity so much that you become a cricature of the other culture. It is a very fine line to walk between embracing a new culture and yet remaining true to your own self.

As i mentioned in my OP, this phenomenon is not unique to MENA/US marriages, but when you add in a bi-cultural dimension to the marriage, how do you walk this line?

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.