SeaKat

Question regarding mailing address vs. physical address

4 posts in this topic

I have searched online to no avail, hoping that someone here my have experience and or advice.

My wife and I are currently waiting on her ROC and have her N400 pending. We are in the process of searching for our retirement home, and travelling extensively in an RV while we wait out the process and decide on a permanent place to relocate.

We have a mail forwarding service that accepts our mail and scans/forwards important items. We have NOT sold our house, and continue to 'live' in Virginia.  USCIS mail is not forwarded, and I don't want to use our mail service address as our address, because it's in Texas, and we most certainly dont live there.

Can we use a friend's address here in Virginia for USCIS purposes? I haven't seen any way to indicate simply a mailing address vs. Physical address with USCIS.

Any advice or experiences are most welcome.

Thanks

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
8 minutes ago, SeaKat said:

We have a mail forwarding service that accepts our mail and scans/forwards important items. We have NOT sold our house, and continue to 'live' in Virginia.  USCIS mail is not forwarded, and I don't want to use our mail service address as our address, because it's in Texas, and we most certainly dont live there.

Why don’t you want to use your mail forwarding service.  We use ours. Our I-751 extension letter arrived just fine at the mail forwarding service, and then I had it send us the original item to our physical address.  

8 minutes ago, SeaKat said:

Can we use a friend's address here in Virginia for USCIS purposes? I haven't seen any way to indicate simply a mailing address vs. Physical address with USCIS.

When you filed I-751 and N-400 you could have indicated a mailing address different than your physical address.  If you file a change of address request you can indicate your friend’s address as the mailing address and a different address for your physical address.  

But I would (and do) use the mail forwarding service. That’s what it is for.  

2 minutes ago, Mike E said:

Why don’t you want to use your mail forwarding service.  We use ours. Our I-751 extension letter arrived just fine at the mail forwarding service, and then I had it send us the original item to our physical address.  

When you filed I-751 and N-400 you could have indicated a mailing address different than your physical address.  If you file a change of address request you can indicate your friend’s address as the mailing address and a different address for your physical address.  

But I would (and do) use the mail forwarding service. That’s what it is for.  

Thank you.  I was reluctant to use the mail service address because it's not where we live, and is in TX, which, if considered a true change of address, would switch offices and probably delay our paperwork.

We filed the ROC in 2020, and hadn't started our travels yet.

Maybe I'm overthinking, it seems so. Happy to hear that you are successfully using a service. 

Thanks again for the response.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Myanmar
Timeline
7 minutes ago, SeaKat said:

Thank you.  I was reluctant to use the mail service address because it's not where we live, and is in TX, which, if considered a true change of address, would switch offices and probably delay our paperwork.

We filed the ROC in 2020, and hadn't started our travels yet.

Maybe I'm overthinking, it seems so. Happy to hear that you are successfully using a service. 

Thanks again for the response.

The mail service address is your mailing address. USCIS doesn’t require your mailing address and physical address to be the same. USCIS requires every alien to provide timely updates when their physical and/or mailing addresses change. AR-11 is a simple enough form and I’ve filed over 5-10 in my life.  

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.