9 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I have been issued with an RFE for my UK birth certificate. I am 100% certain I submitted certified copies of my long-form certificate with my packet. The RFE does not state a reason why they need another copy of my birth certificate. Does anyone know why they might be asking for this? I am worried about submitting another copy only for it to be rejected without explanation. Can a birth certificate be rejected for illegible or difficult to read handwriting, even if it is in English?

Also, the paper copy of my RFE was lost in the mail. It was mailed on the exact day I moved to a new address, which was the exact day I filed my change of address with USCIS. It has now been 3+ weeks and the paper copy has not showed up. I have had an active mail forward for that entire period. I have read my RFE online through my USCIS account.

If I filed my i485 packet physically rather than online, am I allowed to submit my RFE response online or do I have to submit the response in the same manner I originally applied? I saw on a different forum that people were being advised to respond to RFEs in the same way they filed their applications, i.e. online responses only if they filed online originally. Is this accurate? Without the paper copy of the RFE responding online seems like my only quick option. My RFE has a deadline of December 7th, which gives me until Feb 7th to respond thanks to the covid extensions. I would like to get this sorted as quickly as possible though.

Thank you.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

I received the same thing for my UK birth certificate (Scottish), I can see my copy uploaded online in myUSCIS account under documents too so I’m not sure why I received an RFE.

I’m going to priority order another official extract  & send them the one I have so I’ll still have one on hand I think.

I don’t want to take chances with scanning the one I have as it clearly wasn’t good enough the first time. 

1 minute ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

I know that was not the issue, it is about you not wasting a precious original. 😁

And they tend to lose physical documents, but they wouldn't say so on the RFE.

Ah I understand now. I actually don't have the original, just a couple more certified copies.

Do you know if generally it is ok to submit a BC via the online RFE response portal? Or should I send them another physical copy? It's from the UK so I wasn't anticipating any issues with legibility...

1 minute ago, jrm88 said:

Ah I understand now. I actually don't have the original, just a couple more certified copies.

Do you know if generally it is ok to submit a BC via the online RFE response portal? Or should I send them another physical copy? It's from the UK so I wasn't anticipating any issues with legibility...

Just yesterday I brought up on another thread a case where they requested a translation for a British birth certificate. There's always issues.

And you cannot file online for AOS, so you cannot respond online. You actually need to wait for the physical letter and include it as a cover when you respond.

2 minutes ago, Allaboutwaiting said:

Just yesterday I brought up on another thread a case where they requested a translation for a British birth certificate. There's always issues.

And you cannot file online for AOS, so you cannot respond online. You actually need to wait for the physical letter and include it as a cover when you respond.

That's strange, because on my USCIS account it definitely gives me the option to respond to the RFE online by uploading a document. I've attached pics to show what I see.

1.jpg

2.jpg

8 minutes ago, jrm88 said:

That's strange, because on my USCIS account it definitely gives me the option to respond to the RFE online by uploading a document. I've attached pics to show what I see.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Just I just checked and the USCIS website says that for some forms, they provide the same options as if you filed online.

They're not specific on which forms but it seems I-485 is one of them.

So I guess you decide how you respond.

Edited by Allaboutwaiting

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.