Devguru 2026

good timing for preparing I-693

7 posts in this topic

Background:   Submitted AOS package in February of 2021.   Filed concurrently:  I-130 online  and I-485  mailed in along with I-765 (EAD).   My daughter who became 21 petitioned me as eligible mother; living in the US.

I-130 processing time estimate is 13 to 17  months.      

I-765 processing time estimate is 9 to 9.5 months.         Thus estimating that this will come in sometime before end of year.

I-485 processing time not listed on USCIS website for National Benefit Center or Potomac Service Center for some reason - it used to be there.  Might be web site error.    However, if 

being processed concurrently is most likely similar to I-130 estimate.

Received a notice of deficiency from USCIS for not sending in I-693 along with AOS package about a month ago.     And have been informed *not* to send it in at this time by USCIS; instead to bring it in to the interview if and when that happens.

Question:

When is a good time to prepare I-693 so that it doesn't become invalid for i-485; and how will EAD decision be impacted if we don't send in I-693.    Is it needed for I-765 and I should prepare I-693 now?   Or do I wait 6-7 months more to prepare so that it sure becomes valid for I-485 processing and to take to interview? 

Edited by Devguru 2026

3 hours ago, Devguru 2026 said:

Background:   Submitted AOS package in February of 2021.   Filed concurrently:  I-130 online  and I-485  mailed in along with I-765 (EAD).   My daughter who became 21 petitioned me as eligible mother; living in the US.

I-130 processing time estimate is 13 to 17  months.      

I-765 processing time estimate is 9 to 9.5 months.         Thus estimating that this will come in sometime before end of year.

I-485 processing time not listed on USCIS website for National Benefit Center or Potomac Service Center for some reason - it used to be there.  Might be web site error.    However, if 

being processed concurrently is most likely similar to I-130 estimate.

Received a notice of deficiency from USCIS for not sending in I-693 along with AOS package about a month ago.     And have been informed *not* to send it in at this time by USCIS; instead to bring it in to the interview if and when that happens.

Question:

When is a good time to prepare I-693 so that it doesn't become invalid for i-485; and how will EAD decision be impacted if we don't send in I-693.    Is it needed for I-765 and I should prepare I-693 now?   Or do I wait 6-7 months more to prepare so that it sure becomes valid for I-485 processing and to take to interview? 

You got i-693 deficiency letter right?  That means once your interview get scheduled you have to go for medical test and take that unopened envelope to the interview.  Your EAd wont be affected  by the i-693 deficiency. This is my study... more experts in this forum  can through more information .

Yes it is i-693 deficiency letter.    my concern is whether I will be given  enough time once notice is received to go to civil surgeon; take medical exam - take any pending vaccinations etc. before the interview date.      Especially when there have been times when I received govt. mails after 14/15 days since notice are generated.    just want to make sure there will be enough time or know how many days earlier USCIS notifies.

Thank you for sharing info you know or have ..

Edited by Devguru 2026

• 1 month later...
On 9/26/2021 at 10:54 AM, Devguru 2026 said:

Yes it is i-693 deficiency letter.    my concern is whether I will be given  enough time once notice is received to go to civil surgeon; take medical exam - take any pending vaccinations etc. before the interview date.      Especially when there have been times when I received govt. mails after 14/15 days since notice are generated.    just want to make sure there will be enough time or know how many days earlier USCIS notifies.

Thank you for sharing info you know or have ..

So I could be wrong, but I’m pretty sure they extended the validity of the medical exam from 2 to now 4 years so you could probably do it now. If you want to wait (like I did) you should have enough time to do so because it seems like the interviews are usually scheduled 4-5 weeks after they update your case status on their website. After you get the notice online, if they haven’t posted the letter you can reach out to a live agent and they can let you know the date. I just had my exam and got 2 vaccines this Wednesday, the form should be available for pick up beginning of next week and my interview is 12/8. Oh and I got the notice in the mail today (8 days after interview was scheduled). 

But if I were you, I would have the exam now so it’s done and once you’re schedule you’ll be ready. 

Marriage-based AOS Timeline:

Aug 11: Sent packets to USCIS - I-130, I-130A, I-485, I-864, I-765 and I-131

Aug 15: USCIS received packets

Aug 17: Checks cashed, NOA sent

Aug 30: Biometrics is scheduled

Sep 23: Biometrics taken, status updated to "USCIS is actively reviewing your case"

Oct 8: RFE for Birth Certificate (it was submitted with initial packets), submitted evidence online

Oct 9: USCIS received evidence and will resume processing my case

Nov 5: Interview was scheduled!

Dec 8: Interview day!!! 
Dec 8: I-130 and I-485 approved!!!

Dec 16: Received GC

14 minutes ago, jennifert said:

but I’m pretty sure they extended the validity of the medical exam from 2 to now 4 years

That is incorrect. It's only 2 years now: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-4

Technical Update - End of Temporary Extension of Validity Period of Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (Form I-693)

October 01, 2021

This technical update to Volume 8 removes the temporary extension of the validity period of the Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (Form I-693) announced August 12, 2021. This temporary extension expires October 1, 2021.

The "4 year" thing was only temporary: https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/uscis-temporarily-extending-validity-period-of-form-i-693 "if... A decision on the applicant’s Form I-485 is issued on or before Sept. 30, 2021."

For example, the I-693 that I submitted is now expired because it was signed on November 25, 2017 by the CS and my I-485 is still currently pending. Thus why USCIS issued a RFE for a new I-693 last month:

Edited by HRQX

18 minutes ago, HRQX said:

That is incorrect. It's only 2 years now: https://www.uscis.gov/policy-manual/volume-8-part-b-chapter-4

Technical Update - End of Temporary Extension of Validity Period of Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (Form I-693)

October 01, 2021

This technical update to Volume 8 removes the temporary extension of the validity period of the Report of Medical Examination and Vaccination Record (Form I-693) announced August 12, 2021. This temporary extension expires October 1, 2021.

The "4 year" thing was only temporary: https://www.uscis.gov/newsroom/alerts/uscis-temporarily-extending-validity-period-of-form-i-693 "if... A decision on the applicant’s Form I-485 is issued on or before Sept. 30, 2021."

For example, the I-693 that I submitted is now expired because it was signed on November 25, 2017 by the CS and my I-485 is still currently pending. Thus why USCIS issued a RFE for a new I-693 last month:

Good to know! 

Marriage-based AOS Timeline:

Aug 11: Sent packets to USCIS - I-130, I-130A, I-485, I-864, I-765 and I-131

Aug 15: USCIS received packets

Aug 17: Checks cashed, NOA sent

Aug 30: Biometrics is scheduled

Sep 23: Biometrics taken, status updated to "USCIS is actively reviewing your case"

Oct 8: RFE for Birth Certificate (it was submitted with initial packets), submitted evidence online

Oct 9: USCIS received evidence and will resume processing my case

Nov 5: Interview was scheduled!

Dec 8: Interview day!!! 
Dec 8: I-130 and I-485 approved!!!

Dec 16: Received GC

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.