happytree

Oath Ceremony Notice Was Mailed

35 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
20 minutes ago, happytree said:

You need to submit the original to apply for a passport. Good news is that you only need to send the expired passport to nenew. Your passport becomes proof of both identity and citizenship. In theory, you wont need your certificate ever again. 

In my case, I got my certificate right then and there after my oath.  

Planning on traveling in the middle of January. 

Not sure what the passport processing time is after mailing everything in for a new naturalization citizen. Then have to get a visa from a foreign country. 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Belgium
Timeline
2 hours ago, androidhk89 said:

I hear some offices give you the naturalization cert at the oath ceremony and some mail it afterwards.

BTW did you send your original naturalization certificate for the passport documents? Any idea how long it takes for the passport to arrive?

I think it is standard to receive the certificate at the Oath ceremony... which is the whole point of the ceremony. I don't think there is any delay, they have printed for you, have you say the oath and literally "kick" you out of the facility 🙂  (Covid has made the whole thing a lot less festive unfortunately).

For the passport application, yes you need to give the original + a copy (ideally black and white, so they don;'t send the copy back by mistake). I chose the expedited process, and the agent told me it would take 3 weeks until it shows in the system. FYI, it only took 4 days to show up on the state.gov website progress status. There it says "within 6 weeks", so we shall see... people I know have gotten theirs in less than a month, so fingers crossed!

Where are you in the process? Have you received the letter for the interview? There's a chance you might have the oath (and the certificate) on the same day.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: India
Timeline
33 minutes ago, Pat&Vince said:

I think it is standard to receive the certificate at the Oath ceremony... which is the whole point of the ceremony. I don't think there is any delay, they have printed for you, have you say the oath and literally "kick" you out of the facility 🙂  (Covid has made the whole thing a lot less festive unfortunately).

For the passport application, yes you need to give the original + a copy (ideally black and white, so they don;'t send the copy back by mistake). I chose the expedited process, and the agent told me it would take 3 weeks until it shows in the system. FYI, it only took 4 days to show up on the state.gov website progress status. There it says "within 6 weeks", so we shall see... people I know have gotten theirs in less than a month, so fingers crossed!

Where are you in the process? Have you received the letter for the interview? There's a chance you might have the oath (and the certificate) on the same day.

My wife has her N400 interview on 10/18. She also has a pending I-751 that has been waiting for an interview since July 2020. 

Hopefully she gets her oath and naturalization certificate by end of October. Then we will apply for her passport right away because we are traveling in middle of January. 

If all goes well it gives us 1 montb to get her visa before our flight...everything is on the edge as I am not sure how things will go with passport processing time. Definitely paying to have it expediteated. 

Please let me know how much your time takes. 

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline
On 9/23/2021 at 6:58 PM, androidhk89 said:

My wife has her N400 interview on 10/18. She also has a pending I-751 that has been waiting for an interview since July 2020. 

Hopefully she gets her oath and naturalization certificate by end of October. Then we will apply for her passport right away because we are traveling in middle of January. 

If all goes well it gives us 1 montb to get her visa before our flight...everything is on the edge as I am not sure how things will go with passport processing time. Definitely paying to have it expediteated. 

So I just received my passport book today, in 19 days! Definitely worth paying the extra 65$

Funny though yesterday, the status on state.gov still said “under review” and was changed to approved this morning… pretty much just as the postman was delivering the priority mail.

Now waiting for the card and my original CS.

Next is global entry and other I9 updates.

1 hour ago, Pat&Vince said:

Next is global entry and other I9 updates.

That’s a good point. I had forgotten about global entry. I got it while I was a PR. I am now a citizen and my global entry is still valid for an extra 3 years. 

do I have to apply again ? Or just update my citizenship somehow ? 

Maybe I should post this as a separate post. 

Timeline
On 9/23/2021 at 6:58 PM, androidhk89 said:

3 hours ago, happytree said:

That’s a good point. I had forgotten about global entry. I got it while I was a PR. I am now a citizen and my global entry is still valid for an extra 3 years. 

Maybe I should post this as a separate post. 

I guess it’s fine to have it posted here? There might more answer under the “passport’ thread though.

From what a I’ve read, update to citizenship must happen in person, I tried to do it online but the system won’t let you. I’m in San Francisco and Ithink they don’t allow walk-ins… and getting an appointment is a pain, so hopefully there isn’t a 6 months wait for it!

21 hours ago, Pat&Vince said:
  On 10/6/2021 at 1:33 PM, happytree said:

21 hours ago, Pat&Vince said:

I guess it’s fine to have it posted here? There might more answer under the “passport’ thread though.

From what a I’ve read, update to citizenship must happen in person, I tried to do it online but the system won’t let you. I’m in San Francisco and Ithink they don’t allow walk-ins… and getting an appointment is a pain, so hopefully there isn’t a 6 months wait for it!

Yes, for Global Entry, you have to do it in person to update your citizenship, but you don't need an appointment for that, you can just pop-in to any one, or go to the office at the airport when you make your next entry.

I just did mine this week, and it only took a few minutes.

Timeline
15 minutes ago, bing10 said:

Yes, for Global Entry, you have to do it in person to update your citizenship, but you don't need an appointment for that, you can just pop-in to any one, or go to the office at the airport when you make your next entry.

I just did mine this week, and it only took a few minutes.

What airport did you go to? 

I looked at SFO’s website and it specifically says to not come for a walk-in… ugh!

I also went to the trusted traveler website to update info and going through review to replace the card and update info, so it sounds like it has to go through initial review first? This is so confusing. I might go in person and see what happens.

3 minutes ago, Pat&Vince said:

What airport did you go to? 

I looked at SFO’s website and it specifically says to not come for a walk-in… ugh!

I also went to the trusted traveler website to update info and going through review to replace the card and update info, so it sounds like it has to go through initial review first? This is so confusing. I might go in person and see what happens.

I went to Dayton OH.

Looking at the interview locations, it looks like only LAX in California that is listed as appointments only:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-centers/california

To get a replacement card, you can do that online once your citizenship has been updated. I did that from the parking lot, immediately after getting the citizenship updated. They charge $25 for that.

Also, if you do any business travel in the Asia/Pacific region, you can apply for the APEC card immediately after as well. I did that too, and went back into the Global Entry office for my 'APEC interview' which they also did without an appointment.

Timeline
9 hours ago, bing10 said:

I went to Dayton OH.

Looking at the interview locations, it looks like only LAX in California that is listed as appointments only:

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs/global-entry/enrollment-centers/california

To get a replacement card, you can do that online once your citizenship has been updated. I did that from the parking lot, immediately after getting the citizenship updated. They charge $25 for that.

Also, if you do any business travel in the Asia/Pacific region, you can apply for the APEC card immediately after as well. I did that too, and went back into the Global Entry office for my 'APEC interview' which they also did without an appointment.

Yes I did the online update and paid the 25$ fee, but I still need to go there in person to update the new citizenship, right?

12 minutes ago, Pat&Vince said:

Yes I did the online update and paid the 25$ fee, but I still need to go there in person to update the new citizenship, right?

Yes, you have to go there in person.

Also, requesting a new card before you have updated the citizenship is the wrong order. You'll just get another card showing your original citizenship. You need to order that up after you've updated the citizenship in person.

Timeline
11 hours ago, bing10 said:

Also, requesting a new card before you have updated the citizenship is the wrong order. You'll just get another card showing your original citizenship. You need to order that up after you've updated the citizenship in person.

I figured that, and I think I did it r IG hit as the reason for a new card is the new citizenship. In the print-out of the application, it shows that the citizenship has been updated as well as my updated address.

we’ll see…

1 hour ago, Pat&Vince said:

I figured that, and I think I did it r IG hit as the reason for a new card is the new citizenship. In the print-out of the application, it shows that the citizenship has been updated as well as my updated address.

we’ll see…

That's interesting that it let you enter the new citizenship. Perhaps you've discovered a back-door way to update your account without an in-person visit.

I'm curious, if you login to your Global Entry account, do you see the button 'Apply for APEC Business Travel Card' as shown below? If that's there, then the system knows you are a US Citizen. If not, I'd say an in-person visit is still needed.

image.png.8f4fc89696b7d18eea1656859ac3cc71.png

Timeline
17 minutes ago, bing10 said:

That's interesting that it let you enter the new citizenship. Perhaps you've discovered a back-door way to update your account without an in-person visit.

I'm curious, if you login to your Global Entry account, do you see the button 'Apply for APEC Business Travel Card' as shown below? If that's there, then the system knows you are a US Citizen. If not, I'd say an in-person visit is still needed.

image.png.8f4fc89696b7d18eea1656859ac3cc71.png

It now actually says "Conditionally approved" in a brown frame, and only give me the option to schedule an interview... of which 0 are available at my location, whether in person or via ZOOM, ugh!

I feel like the easiest way to go through it should be upon re-entry, next time I leave the country and come back. I'll try to go in person, but per SFO's website they don't allow it because of COVID, I might try just to see.

On 10/7/2021 at 9:43 PM, bing10 said:

On 10/7/2021 at 12:05 PM, bing10 said:

I went to Dayton OH.

I need to update both my name + my citizenship. Since I need to change my  name, I assume I will have to go in.

I can see if I click on "replace card" and provide the reason as "new citizenship" it seems they let me select USA (but I haven't gone through all the way)
However, when I click on "biographic change" for my name change, it just says I need to go to an enrollment center.

Maybe just use the "new citizenship" reason and show up at that interview and bring my name change documents? that way I can do both at the same time? 🤷‍♂️

Based on what you guys said, I would need to go in person anyway :)

image.png.1b8089a12d69760bd4957957e4c86dcd.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.