Sky007

Fee Changes inviting illegal immigration?

51 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

I guess most anyone who is starting this process (like me) has noticed that the fees for all applications and services will increase dramatically as of July 30, 2007.

As for me, I have just moved back to the US in June of 2007. (I lived in Russia for the last 3 years.)

After deciding that we wanted to try living here, my girlfriend came to see what she it and make a final decision for herself.

(She's a Russian girl from Turkmenistan and wanted to visit the US, but never really wanted to live here--and is a bit apprehensive about our Soviet-like security measures.)

At this point, we've decided to try to get a K1 visa. We could have gotten married in Russia, but that still meant that I had to come here and she'd have to wait there forever for some bureaucrats to do paperwork. (Russia has more bureaucracy, but we know how to make things go faster there.) Theoretically, a K1 visa would separate us for a shorter time; thus a more viable option.

Actually, she still has a valid B2 visitor's visa. And with these new fees, and us moving and being unemployed temporarily, we were quite tempted to just marry here on her B2 visa and file for a change of status that way.

(A Change of Status now costs $325, but after July 30, 2007, it will cost $1010. That adds up fast with the other K1 fees.)

So I want to both ask for advise on my situation and ask what everyone thinks about this leading to higher rates of people entering the country illegally to marry.

[Yes, I'm aware of visa fraud and all penalties. My girlfriend and I had the same discussions with USDOS consulars and with ICE officers.]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: India
Timeline

I doubt anyone on this board will advise you to do anything that may be illegal.

As long as she came on the B2 visa without the intent to get married, and you guys decide to get married now, that should be fine then for you to get married and file AOS.

As for getting married and filing before the filing fee increase, I see that as sound financial planning to ensure the financial security of you and your future wife.

As for sparking increased illegal immigration, I always felt there are two kinds of people. People who take the legal paths, and people who take the illegal paths. As for myself, no matter how tempting it is for me in terms of saving money and time to take the illegal paths, I refuse to do it. I don't think that the increase in fees will cause people to change paths... I feel that you are either the type of person that does it right, or the type of person that doesn't care and does it anyway that works.

Best of luck!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Even though they know about the increase in fees, alot of people are still going about immigrating the legal route. If you and your fiance decided to get married spontaneously after she was already here on the B2 visa, then I recommend filing for AOS now. If not, then my advice is to go about it the way you're supposed to. Many of the people filing here will have to pay higher fees, and will also be temporarily unemployed. Everyone else has to and I don't think it's fair that some people think they should be able to avoid the process. Just my opinion, though.

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

Timeline

I haven't done anything illegal (other than traffic violations or drinking before I was 21) in my life.

I at no time said that I planned to do anything illegally.

I stated that there is certain temptation due to the extreme fees...just as there is temptation to stay in Russia (or Sweden) where I was actually quite comfortable and didn't have to eat grecha to survive.

Besides, this is the longest period that we've been apart (2 weeks) in the last 4 years.

More specifically, I saw that this created a burden on the people attempting the process (myself included), and wanted to know if anyone else thought that these new fees would possibly promote an increase in visa fraud.

In my case, it would be asking for it...as I noted above, I've already talked to officials about it. (Although, one did say that we should have just tried it and it probably worked--go figure!)

However, I wouldn't suggest the illegal route. Undoubtably, in your case, you're angry that I might think about such because you didn't do it.

Without bias, I can say that I might have done things the faster and less legal way if I were to do it again.

But still...I think that fees to keep people apart, plus a waiting period (especially spouses, which have a longer waiting time), is somewhat inhumane. But, you know, it's all in the name of national paranoia.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline
I haven't done anything illegal (other than traffic violations or drinking before I was 21) in my life.

I stated that there is certain temptation due to the extreme fees...just as there is temptation to stay in Russia (or Sweden) where I was actually quite comfortable and didn't have to eat grecha to survive.

Besides, this is the longest period that we've been apart (2 weeks) in the last 4 years.

More specifically, I saw that this created a burden on the people attempting the process (myself included), and wanted to know if anyone else thought that these new fees would possibly promote an increase in visa fraud.

In my case, it would be asking for it...as I noted above, I've already talked to officials about it. (Although, one did say that we should have just tried it and it probably worked--go figure!)

However, I wouldn't suggest the illegal route. Undoubtably, in your case, you're angry that I might think about such because you didn't do it.

Without bias, I can say that I might have done things the faster and less legal way if I were to do it again.

But still...I think that fees to keep people apart, plus a waiting period (especially spouses, which have a longer waiting time), is somewhat inhumane. But, you know, it's all in the name of national paranoia.

I think it's more in the name of national safety. I never accused you of doing anything illegal, I just advised you not to. I'm not angry that you might think of doing it because I didn't. I'm angry that people think they are above the rules and should immediately be with their fiance(e) when so many people are going about it the legal route and are forced to be apart for months on end. I'm not talking about you in particular. I've read several posts from people wanting to do just this.

Concerning your second point, yes, the higher fees make it more tempting to commit fraud. A jump from $170 to I think $455 for just the filing of the 129F is outrageous, but I think it's worth it for peace of mind. And this is coming from a nearly poor college student.

Like bszoom42 said, some people will go about it the legal way and others won't. I don't think higher fees will change that.

5/11/2007 - Submitted I-129F

5/14/2007 - Packet Received by USCIS

5/21/2007 - Received NOA1

7/11/2007 - Ordered Police Certificate

8/16/2007 - Received Police Certificate

8/23/2007 - Received NOA2 Email Confirmation

8/30/2007 - Received NOA2 Hardcopy

9/4/2007 - Received NVC Letter

9/10/2007 - Packet 3 Received

9/24/2007 - Packet 3 Returned

10/7/2007 - Medical Interview - London

11/6/2007 - Interview - PASSED!

11/13/2007 - Passport Returned

11/18/2007 - Coming Home for Good

11/19/2007 - Had trouble at the aiport...NOW coming home for good.

12/18/2007 - Applied for Social Security Card

12/27/2007 - Received Social Security Card

2/05/2008 - Getting Married!

2/18/2008 - Submitted AOS packet

2/26/2008 - NOA for I-485, I-I-765, and I-131

2/28/2008 - Received ASC Appointment Notice

3/12/2008 - Biometric Appointment

3/13/2008 - RFE for I-485

3/24/2008 - Submitted Evidence

5/2/2008 - I-485 Transfer Notice - sent to CA center

7/17/2008 - Received EAD

I wish everyone would follow the current procedures and law. If they did it wouldn't take us nearly as long to get processed or cost nearly as much. I can understand the temptation but it's not going to kill us...... even though it feels like it! LOL

Sheila and John

Timeline
I think it's more in the name of national safety. I never accused you of doing anything illegal, I just advised you not to. I'm not angry that you might think of doing it because I didn't. I'm angry that people think they are above the rules and should immediately be with their fiance(e) when so many people are going about it the legal route and are forced to be apart for months on end. I'm not talking about you in particular. I've read several posts from people wanting to do just this.

Concerning your second point, yes, the higher fees make it more tempting to commit fraud. A jump from $170 to I think $455 for just the filing of the 129F is outrageous, but I think it's worth it for peace of mind. And this is coming from a nearly poor college student.

Like bszoom42 said, some people will go about it the legal way and others won't. I don't think higher fees will change that.

I understand national saftey...but I've also seen national safety in other countries. What we have is less efficient and still not as effective. It's just trying to add checks and balances...but it wouldn't be hard at all to slip through.

In my case, we had no idea that it would cost so much. In fact, I came back to the US to go back to college...so I'm a student again and certainly not used to living so poorly. Then my savings will almost disapear on this visa/immigration process. We started getting paperwork together for this K1 only last week...but decided to do it some months ago without looking at time or costs involved. So we're really stuck with it.

While the I-129k costs have increased, you should see that 'Change in Status' cost increase...that will kick students in the butt! But...they leave few choices and few options. It's still an immigration of the chosen issue..."send us your poor, but only if someone here is able to pay for them...otherwise, you can just split your families up." And in many cases, these are already families that they are splitting up with this process.

(I'd just go back to my job there if I didn't have so much to get straightened out here first...and start at the uni again soon.)

As for those who decide to shortcut the process...I can't blame them at all. I think that if the rewards out-weigh the consequences, then it is probably worth it. In this case, since in some cases they will let you go straight to changing status, it very well may be worth it. I'm sure that they won't have any higher salaries to pay at USCIS when they move all of the paperwork to their new central offices anyway. I mean, a price increase is usually do to a cost increase...so, what's increasing in the cost?

Timeline
I wish everyone would follow the current procedures and law. If they did it wouldn't take us nearly as long to get processed or cost nearly as much. I can understand the temptation but it's not going to kill us...... even though it feels like it! LOL

That's an interesting idea. Laws are usually made to protect people...although, many current laws just increase someone's profit. [i'm not talking about immigration law speciffically there.]

Now, if everyone followed the law, then it may net more revenue for the USCIS, etc. However, they usually have more to their jobs than sitting and looking at millions of one type of document all day. Perhaps now they will and that's why there's an increase.

Now, if everyone who was in this predicament filed the correct paperwork, then there would be more jobs for lawyers and bigger backlogs and wait-times for processing. [That's just logic. I've had paperwork myself.]

Part of this process is to protect us men from ourselves anyway...because we're not so smart when it comes to women anyway...we often think with the wrong brain. Especially those who try this 'meet and marry' stuff. (Yes, I lived in Russia and saw plenty of these guys from various countries...as expats, we made fun of them because they had no idea what they were getting into just for a 'pretty wife.')

So I understand the process...but I'm not so sure that it should be a 'punish' anyone for marrying a foreign born citizen. I really don't think that if everyone would correctly follow this process and law that it would lessen the cost of the process for the agencies themselves.

I can agree with following the law--but it doesn't mean that I have to agree with it.

And I'd certainly be willing to look at new laws and process, or at least procedures, to make things more effective and efficient. This process isn't efficient and it's seems to be a price increasing simply due to increasing demand. Not increasing to make things cost effective or efficient.

Filed: Timeline
So I understand the process...but I'm not so sure that it should be a 'punish' anyone for marrying a foreign born citizen. I really don't think that if everyone would correctly follow this process and law that it would lessen the cost of the process for the agencies themselves.

I can agree with following the law--but it doesn't mean that I have to agree with it.

And I'd certainly be willing to look at new laws and process, or at least procedures, to make things more effective and efficient. This process isn't efficient and it's seems to be a price increasing simply due to increasing demand. Not increasing to make things cost effective or efficient.

You're not the first to question the process and you won't be the last. Same goes for the fee increase. There's a whole forum on here that has debated it.

We've all endured separations from our loved ones, because we are doing this legally. You are no more (or less) special than the rest of us VJers. Students do this process all the time and can't afford to, but their fiance is more important than $$.

Were you in NYC on 9/11? How about London on 7/7? :angry:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iceland
Timeline
I guess most anyone who is starting this process (like me) has noticed that the fees for all applications and services will increase dramatically as of July 30, 2007.

As for me, I have just moved back to the US in June of 2007. (I lived in Russia for the last 3 years.)

After deciding that we wanted to try living here, my girlfriend came to see what she it and make a final decision for herself.

(She's a Russian girl from Turkmenistan and wanted to visit the US, but never really wanted to live here--and is a bit apprehensive about our Soviet-like security measures.)

At this point, we've decided to try to get a K1 visa. We could have gotten married in Russia, but that still meant that I had to come here and she'd have to wait there forever for some bureaucrats to do paperwork. (Russia has more bureaucracy, but we know how to make things go faster there.) Theoretically, a K1 visa would separate us for a shorter time; thus a more viable option.

Actually, she still has a valid B2 visitor's visa. And with these new fees, and us moving and being unemployed temporarily, we were quite tempted to just marry here on her B2 visa and file for a change of status that way.

(A Change of Status now costs $325, but after July 30, 2007, it will cost $1010. That adds up fast with the other K1 fees.)

So I want to both ask for advise on my situation and ask what everyone thinks about this leading to higher rates of people entering the country illegally to marry.

[Yes, I'm aware of visa fraud and all penalties. My girlfriend and I had the same discussions with USDOS consulars and with ICE officers.]

###### pricks.

The amount I'll need to dish out for the I-765, I-131 and I-485 just increases from $675 to $1575, as I'll be filing a month "too-late" for moving to this godforsaken place that the US is.

I almost feel like dropping the move...this is adding insult to other already annoying factors.

Edited by pervez

--

See my Profile -> Signature&Story -> Story for further timeline info.

I-131 AP - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-September-18 - Mailed to Chicago

2007-November-16 - Application Approved

I-485 AOS - Status: Completed

2007-September-20 - Delivered in Chicago

2007-September-25 - Date of NOA1 for Application

MORE DETAILED TIMELINE INFO MY PROFILE UNDER "SIGNATURE & STORY"

2008-January-31 - Green Card Production Ordered

2008-February-01 - Welcome Notice Mailed

I-765 EAD - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-November-20 - Application Approved

The amount I'll need to dish out for the I-765, I-131 and I-485 just increases from $675 to $1575, as I'll be filing a month "too-late" for moving to this godforsaken place that the US is.

I almost feel like dropping the move...this is adding insult to other already annoying factors.

Then don't move?

Your fees are wrong as well, I suggest reading the new regulations.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Ukraine
Timeline

###### pricks.

Heh, feel free to stay the hell out of the U.S...no one's holding a gun to your head to come here. With your attitude, you can stay where you are and we'll all be happy.

Kseniya (Ukraine) and Gary (USA)

05-27-2005 I-129F package arrives at TSC signed for by "M.S."

...A bunch of waiting and worrying...

10-14-2005 Passport with K-1 Visa delivered

02-14-2006 Everyone is home!

03-04-2006 Wedding date!

07-25-2006 AOS/AP package FINALLY completed and sent

08-04-2006 AOS/AP NOA's received

11-06-2006 Interview Successful!

11-13-2006 Welcome to America letter received

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

The phrase "illegal immigration" is such a fun one to banter about these days in the American political discourse. In the context of most of our immigraiton journeys, however, I think it's basically inapplicable - at least insofar as the scary scary connotations it carries, with images of terrorists or people forging the Rio Grande in the dark of night.

While I certainly don't advocate skirting the laws, I pose an academic question: if someone enters the US on the VWP or any other non-marriage/fiance related visa, marries, and adjusts status, how does it affect you?

They'll still be vetted.

They'll still be paying fees.

They'll still have to report their every move to the government.

If they enter with the "intent" to marry, we here are quick to call it fraud. But how much of the really meat-and-potatoes laws are being violated? If a couple continues to live in the US with one-half illegally present, having failed to adjust status, that's a lot worse, but it's also a totally different situation.

But merely skipping the I-129F part? The separation? The pointlessness of it all? It may be against the letter of the laws, but if status is properly adjusted after married, is the spirit wholly violated as well?

Again, while I don't encourage anyone to skip the I-129F process, I certainly don't fault anyone for doing so. It doesn't affect me or my marriage. It didn't slow down my process.

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

The phrase "illegal immigration" is such a fun one to banter about these days in the American political discourse. In the context of most of our immigraiton journeys, however, I think it's basically inapplicable - at least insofar as the scary scary connotations it carries, with images of terrorists or people forging the Rio Grande in the dark of night.

Illegal immigration takes many non-scary forms, many are not terrorists or people forging the Rio Grande in the dark.

If they enter with the "intent" to marry, we here are quick to call it fraud. But how much of the really meat-and-potatoes laws are being violated? If a couple continues to live in the US with one-half illegally present, having failed to adjust status, that's a lot worse, but it's also a totally different situation.

But merely skipping the I-129F part? The separation? The pointlessness of it all? It may be against the letter of the laws, but if status is properly adjusted after married, is the spirit wholly violated as well?

That is all that matters. It is against the law.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.