Bri and Thor

Petitioner's birth certificate question (CR1 - Bogota)

3 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hello, I have a bit of a multilayered question for those in the know. I (natural-born USC) and my wife (Colombian national) are, along with her children (my stepchildren), awaiting our interview appointment assignment at the Bogota Embassy for a CR1 (plus CR2s for the kiddos) after receiving the notice that NVC was transmitting the cases to the Bogota Embassy. She has asked me about obtaining three original copies of my (the petitioner) birth certificate to carry to the interview. I used my passport as proof of my status/domicile in the US. I did submit my birth certificate with the I-130 paperwork, though.

I am planning to attend the interview with her and the kids on their interview day.

My first question is: If I submitted my passport for proof of status/domicile for the NVC part of the process, do I need to worry about asking for additional original copies of my birth certificate to carry to the interview(s)?

My second question is: If one original copy of my birth certificate was used for each I-130 application, would I need to only bring the original and three copies, the original only, copies only, or...?

Third (bonus) question, if anyone can provide insight: Is there any way to request that my wife's interview and the kiddos' interviews happen on the same day?

Thank you in advance for any insight, and if I happen to have left out any information critical to answer the question(s) above, please let me know and I will gladly provide it. Cheers!

Original documents are returned. No need for 3 originals

Give her the original and a copy. You will get is back shortly since you already plan to be there for the interview.

I don't know how to have them schedule all the interviews on the same day but I guess that by default it is if the are CR2s (unmarried child of a foreign spouse)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline
11 hours ago, randy32 said:

Original documents are returned. No need for 3 originals

Give her the original and a copy. You will get is back shortly since you already plan to be there for the interview.

I don't know how to have them schedule all the interviews on the same day but I guess that by default it is if the are CR2s (unmarried child of a foreign spouse)

Thank you for the info! That is correct, the kids are both unmarried minors (15 and 9). I was thinking it may be the case they'd schedule the interviews on the same day at least (or maybe at the same time, since they're minors?).

Just to be on the safe side, I'm thinking of carrying my original birth certificate and a copy for each of their three cases.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.