Gretch

US Representative help?

4 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Rwanda
Timeline

Has anyone requested and gotten help from their US Representative recently? I sent in a request a couple of weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet. When I petitioned for my husband in 2016, I asked for my congressman's help (application was being held up at NVC due to a USCIS error that had him flagged as previously denied/deported) and heard back much sooner. But it's a different representative and a different world this time, and this one has more celebrity than the last one. She's an immigrant herself, so hoping her office will be sympathetic.

I'm applying for my little stepson this time. I'm sure everyone's trying this but I laid it on about uncontrolled covid and school interruption. I applied December 2020, still NOA 1 only. Texas SC.

I had an idea that applying for a minor child was going to sail through in no time at all!

12/14 Met at work in Rwanda

2/21/15 Became a couple

11/19/15 Married

11/23/15 I left Rwanda 

12/30/15 Mailed I-130

1/06/16 NOA1

5/03/16 NOA2!

5/06/16 NVC received case

5/20/16 Case number assigned

5/23/16 Email from NVC with case number

5/23/16 Choice of Agent filled out, AOS fee invoiced and paid

5/31/16 Called NVC, reviewed I-261 over the phone

6/02/16 IV bill invoiced and paid

7/28/16 Finally! All police clearances and birth certificate received; mailed IV and AOS; filed I-260

8/04/16 Official scan date (tracking shows "delivered" the day before)

8/15/16 Visiting my husband! 10 days

9/01/16 Received checklist in error, claiming our application was on hold because of a waiver application we never filed

9/02/16 Sent for supervisor review, six week timeframe given

9/13/16 Sent for "document review", whatever that is, told the timeframe is now indefinite

9/20/16 Contacted US Representative Adam Smith's office for assistance (WA)

9/26/16 3 N/As and Case Complete!

11/14/16 Interview: approved pending medical! (Vaccines hadn't been available)

11/19/16 Visa received in passport

12/09/16 POE Seattle

03/06/17 Green card received (address changed after POE, no problem)

5/2017 Our baby is due

Hm, you’re stuck in the processing times it looks like, TSC is only taking inquiries for cases filed before Sept 2020 https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

That said it’s a little strange your rep hasn’t followed up yet - I know many people are contacting reps about many things (petitions and passports included) but I know a few who have in the past few weeks and most of them have received an initial response within a few days. Maybe you want to call the office to confirm they received the request? 

3 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Hm, you’re stuck in the processing times it looks like, TSC is only taking inquiries for cases filed before Sept 2020 https://egov.uscis.gov/processing-times/

That said it’s a little strange your rep hasn’t followed up yet - I know many people are contacting reps about many things (petitions and passports included) but I know a few who have in the past few weeks and most of them have received an initial response within a few days. Maybe you want to call the office to confirm they received the request? 

I contacted my rep about a non-immigration related federal issue (IRS) a week ago, and still have yet to hear back other than the canned response.  

4 hours ago, Gretch said:

I had an idea that applying for a minor child was going to sail through in no time at all!

Oh - just on this, judging by the way the processing times website lists the different categories for processing, all IR are lumped in the same pile for processing. Each service center has a line for “U.S. citizen filing for a spouse, parent, or child under 21

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.