LTUSTeam

Changing Address & Driver's License During Pending Application

6 posts in this topic

Filed: H-2B Visa Country: Lithuania
Timeline

Hi, all!

My husband (applicant) and I (USC) are moving to CT next week and I just have a few questions.

1. He submitted an AR11 online for his I-485 and I-765 and I did one for the I-130. Do we need to do any follow-ups with Emma/USCIS to make sure our change of address went through?

2. When we filed in Jan 2021, we submitted the i-944 and i-864 for self-sufficiency/support. I understand that the i-944 is no longer necessary after March 2021, but do I need to submit the i-865 for my change of address as his sponsor for the i-864?

3. Husband was here on an H2B and has a SSN and driver's license. CT has an option to apply for a DL for undocumented residents--is he considered undocumented or should he just schedule a regular out-of-state license transfer appointment?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

I. Also forward your mail at the post office. I would recommend that you still check the status of your case weekly. It has been known for cases not to be updated or mail forwarded properly.

2. You will need to file the I-865. That is for sponsor's change of address. AR11 is applicant change of address. Lots of people forget to it though. I-944. No need to submit forms that are no longer need. More work and headache no benefits.

3. If H2B status is still valid, the regular out of state transfer is the way to go.

5 hours ago, LTUSTeam said:

Do we need to do any follow-ups with Emma/USCIS to make sure our change of address went through?

I would recommend it.  USCIS has been known to not reflect change of address promptly in their systems.

5 hours ago, LTUSTeam said:

do I need to submit the i-865 for my change of address as his sponsor for the i-864?

I-865 is not required as the I-864 is not yet in force.  But, other VJ members have had success getting their change of address properly reflected on USCIS records by filing I-865, with or without an I-864 in force.

Edited by Chancy
typo

Timeline
On 8/18/2021 at 3:30 AM, randy32 said:

3. If H2B status is still valid, the regular out of state transfer is the way to go.

Thank you for the advice!! I’ve done the USPS change of address.

He is current out of status because his H2B expired last December. I’m assuming the regular out of state transfer would not be the way to go now?

Timeline
On 8/18/2021 at 4:46 AM, Chancy said:

I would recommend it.  USCIS has been known to not reflect change of address promptly in their systems.

I-865 is not required as the I-864 is not yet in force.  But, other VJ members have had success getting their change of address properly reflected on USCIS records by filing I-865, with or without an I-864 in force.

Thank you!! I ended up calling yesterday and the agent told me she saw the change of address reflected and also gave me a confirmation number.

Is this enough of a confirmation that the address has reflected? 

2 hours ago, LTUSTeam said:

Thank you for the advice!! I’ve done the USPS change of address.

He is current out of status because his H2B expired last December. I’m assuming the regular out of state transfer would not be the way to go now?

Not 100% sure. His status is in a 'grey area' because you have filed the needed paperwork are just waiting for it to be processed.

States handle some of these issues differently. Someone who is familiar with the process in CT should chime in.

Personally I would go to the DMV site and check out the process. See what the requirements/forms that are needed. That will answer most of your questions.

Most times they would not ask you about status because he is moving from another state to CT and already has SSN.

A quick google search got me the address below. See form R-229

https://portal.ct.gov/DMV/Licenses/Licenses/Applying-for-a-License/Drivers-License--New-Resident-Requirements

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.