US2197

Car importing or sell it?

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Most that sell their cars do it before moving. Importing it and then selling it is just not cost effective. 

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Filed: F-3 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/30/2021 at 5:52 PM, harneetvirk864@gm said:

Which is better when dealing with a car. We are debating whether it’s best to just sell the car? Has anyone gone thru the process and know if it’s cheaper to just sell and buy a used car when he moves?

from us to Canada

We just moved to Florida from Canada 2 weeks ago. We have a 2016 mazda and we imported it. Paid about $350 for import fees when we entered. Our car had a sticker showing it was emissions approved in the US. If the car is financed you just need a letter from the loan company saying they give you permission to take it to the US. If your car isn't emissions approved and you have to have work done on it to be approved it might be better to sell it. 

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

It seems like importing a car from Canada to US is easier and cheaper compared to the other way around.

Canada charge a lot of taxes (for my spouse car to import from US to Canada the CBSA officer said almost 20% of the price of car).

So I'm now actively looking to buy a used car here in Ontario and then import it to US when I move next mid year.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 8/2/2021 at 5:29 AM, MovingToFlorida said:

We just moved to Florida from Canada 2 weeks ago. We have a 2016 mazda and we imported it. Paid about $350 for import fees when we entered. Our car had a sticker showing it was emissions approved in the US. If the car is financed you just need a letter from the loan company saying they give you permission to take it to the US. If your car isn't emissions approved and you have to have work done on it to be approved it might be better to sell it. 

I actually called a couple of my banks to ask about financing and if they can provide me a letter when I move to US from Canada. They said they can't do it as their would be a lien on it. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Info here: https://www.cbp.gov/trade/basic-import-export/importing-car

Depending on the circumstances and whether the vehicle is owned outright and meets all US requirements (TPMS is usually the kicker), it's often easier just to sell it.  If it is imported, you'll take a hit when you try to sell it because it will have a non-US VIN (yes, this is silly, but it's true).  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.