Sadi Shah

My insanely long 221(g) process

3 posts in this topic

Hi everyone, 

I posted a topic a few months ago on my husband receiving a 221g form for "domicile evidence," you can read about it here:

I feel compelled to write this post now because it seems there are people on this forum who give advice based on how they've "never come across anything like your case after seeing hundreds of discussions over more than 10 years" and assume the worst case scenario and basically make you feel horrible. I want my situation to be a reminder to anyone reading this in a similar situation that:

1. the majority of people in the world going through immigration are not sharing their unique stories on here;

2. if your case is taking longer than any other case ever discussed on here, it does NOT mean something has gone horribly wrong;

3. we live in unprecedented times with the covid pandemic impacting immigration operations across the world so if anything, expect the unexpected. 

With that said, this is what happened with my husband's case:

March 2021: Interview at London embassy, got 221g form 

March 2021: Sent requested documents via courier 

May 2021: Followed up with embassy, asked to upload documents to CEAC (I'm assuming they ignored or lost the copies we sent via courier) 

May 2021: Uploaded same documents to CEAC along with some affidavits as suggested by lawyer

July 2021: Got in touch with my home state Senator, who sent out an inquiry on my behalf. 

July 2021: Visa approved the very next day! Issued and mailed to us in no time. Entered the US together, thank God. 

So, the process basically took 4 months, and the visa got approved literally 1 month before my husband's medical was going to expire! I have searched the internet far and wide and have yet to come across a situation like ours. One tip I would definitely give after this is to be proactive about your case (consult lawyers, contact your senator, keep emailing the embassy every few weeks - pro tip: check for contact information they only give out on forms at the interview).

I hope this was helpful. 

Edited by Sadi Shah

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I did comment on one of your threads, and made a general comment.

I agree that it pretty unusual we get to hear the whole case. One big advantage a Lawyer has is that they can insist on answers.

Your case sounds unusual, London well certainly compared to some other Consulates I can think of tends to be pretty laid back about Domicile, that is not to say they ignore it completely.

Subjective issues like this are always the hardest.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
7 hours ago, Sadi Shah said:

I feel compelled to write this post now because it seems there are people on this forum who give advice based on how they've "never come across anything like your case after seeing hundreds of discussions over more than 10 years" and assume the worst case scenario and basically make you feel horrible.

You’re talking about me and there was no intent to make you feel horrible or that your case was hopeless. 221g are always fixable if you can get what they need turned in. You asked “Was anyone here in a similar situation?”. I replied that it was a new one on me for a London interview and I had seen many years of interview problems. Really sorry that it upset you. Every one was trying to help you figure out what else might be behind the RFE because it was rare for London. There’s always puzzling cases popping up that are not common.

I’m glad you finally got your documents uploaded. They have been wanting uploads of anything missing rather than a document in hand. And good for you to continue to push to get it reviewed when it seemed to have been set aside and forgotten. Involving a Congressman is a good way to force them to find the case and it often shakes it loose to be processed. Congratulations.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.