osmannayeem

Importing Canadian Vehicle which is already in USA!

12 posts in this topic

I moved from Canada to New York recently as a permanent resident. I brought my Canadian personal car and didn't complete the process of importing Car in the border. So my Car is already in NYC and to register it in NY DMV, I need to complete the custom (Point Of Entry) first. Do i need to go to US border or JFK customs (which is another POE) would be able to help me with that?

What are the papers I need to prepare to complete the process?

Can anyone please help?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline
On 7/2/2021 at 12:14 PM, osmannayeem said:

I moved from Canada to New York recently as a permanent resident. I brought my Canadian personal car and didn't complete the process of importing Car in the border. So my Car is already in NYC and to register it in NY DMV, I need to complete the custom (Point Of Entry) first. Do i need to go to US border or JFK customs (which is another POE) would be able to help me with that?

What are the papers I need to prepare to complete the process?

Can anyone please help?

Hi - did you need a letter or anything to cross with your car when you just drove your car over? I will be driving my personal car but I don't want to import it since it doesn't meet Texas road standards. I just can't afford a rental to drive over the border. Is there anything you had to produce when you drove over with your car? Thanks. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you @HRQX, I forgot to update that I did went to JFK last week. Here is my overall journey (may be it will help someone in the future):

1) I called Toyota Canada headquarters for a compliance letter. Their number is 1(888)869-6828. They generated a case number and sent me an email requesting some info like VIN, full name and my Canadian address. Additionally they informed me there are two safety recalls for my model of the car and I should take care of them first.

2) I went to Local Toyota dealer and they changed those two parts for free. I sent proof of that to Toyota HQ along with other requested info.

3) Toyota issued a compliance letter.

4) I went to JFK Building 77 last week. They checked the compliance letter, Canadian registration paper, my drivers license and asked me to fill up CBP form 7501. CBP officer checked my car's speedometer to make sure it has both KMPH and MPH. Full process took around 15 min.

Now I have a signed 7501 form with me. Next step is to go to DMV with all the letters and registration papers. I already scheduled an appointment. I will update here once I am done with that!!

21 minutes ago, HRQX said:

You could try to do it in JFK. Someone was able to do it at CBP Omaha, Nebraska despite that POE not being near the land border:

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I just moved to Massachusetts on an F1 Visa from Canada. I'm super stressed about the whole car importing but I absolutly need to get to school since I'm living 30 minutes from 45 minutes from Boston. I already called Toyota today for the compliance letter (so far, it has been a smooth process). In Massachusetts, I need to get my license within 30 days as a student because I'm considered a resident. There is conflicting information everywhere. So, I probably can go to any POE to import the vehicle? I was worried I'd have to drive all the way back to Buffalo. I'm really hoping I can just go over to Logan Airport to do it. 

2 hours ago, Mare82 said:

I just moved to Massachusetts on an F1 Visa from Canada. I'm super stressed about the whole car importing but I absolutly need to get to school since I'm living 30 minutes from 45 minutes from Boston. I already called Toyota today for the compliance letter (so far, it has been a smooth process). In Massachusetts, I need to get my license within 30 days as a student because I'm considered a resident. There is conflicting information everywhere. So, I probably can go to any POE to import the vehicle? I was worried I'd have to drive all the way back to Buffalo. I'm really hoping I can just go over to Logan Airport to do it. 

yes, you can go to any POE. I went to my nearest POE which was JFK Airport - it took 15 minutes only to complete everything

Thanks for responding! That's good to know! Boston Logan is my nearest POE. I'm trying to get everything in order to go do that soon (once I've got my compliance and hopefully I don't need anything done to my vehicle - I keep reading about tire sensors which I don't think my Canadian-made 2017 Toyota Corolla has). I've already the form from DOT printed as well as the EPA one so I just need to fill those out. I was tempted to call Border Services and ask them, too. 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.