whisper2me

Impact of Drink Driving Offences (DUI's)

6 posts in this topic

Hi,

I have also posted this in the aussie section but thought it might help to post here as well.....

My circumstances are this........

I am about to go through the K-1 process with my Fiance in Texas.......but here goes....

In 1991 (16 years ago) at the ripe ol age of 19 years, I was arrested and charged for drink driving. In 2005 (only 2 years ago), I was in a situation where I had consumed a couple of drinks in a club in the company of very blotto friends as I was the driver for the night. I had timed my 2 drinks so that I could savely drive home under the legal limit around 2am, however, when I had returned from the ladies room, I couldn't find their drunk a**es anywhere. I found myself in a situation where I was uncomfortable being on my own in the club and then also tried to find them in 2 clubs nearby without any luck. Anyway, my point is.....I drove earlier than I had anticipated because I wasn't expecting to be in that position and was only 0.03 over the legal limit, resulting in the minimum one month suspension of my license and a small fine. Call me stupid if you will, but it was a choice I made in that situation. So then, I have 2 DUI charges.

My questions are:

1. Has anyone seen any documentation on whether there is a time frame in which offences were committed and being able to apply for the K-1? I mean, do you have to wait a certain number of years after a DUI before you can apply?

2. Regarding Form DS-156 (Have you ever been arrested or convicted for any offense or crime, even though subject of a pardon, amnesty or other similar legal action? Have you ever unlawfully distributed or sold a controlled substance(drug), or been a prostitute or procurer for prostitutes?)

Is this where you are supposed to acknowledge your drink driving offences and answer yes or is this question purely for criminal matters? Do I answer no to these and then still provide details of the court hearings??

3. Does anyone know if I will need a waiver???

I am really needing some accurate information so that I can properly prepare. It is also comforting to know of other people going through the same.

Confused North Queenslander,

Peta

CR-1/IR-1 Journey for Self

12th April 08 - Married in Australia

21st April 08 - Mailed off I-130 but with incorrect title on cheques

30th April 08 - USCIS returned petitions requesting correct title on cheques

2nd May 08 - Mailed out I-130s again! Finally on our way!!!

9th May 08 - NOA-1

7th Nov 08 - Tranferred to CSC

4th Dec 08 - Approved!!!

22nd Dec 08 - NVC # assigned

23rd June 09 - Case Complete at NVC (We slowed down the process on purpose to time interview accordingly)

18th August 09 - Medical

25th August 09 - Interview Date - Approved!!!

19th February 10 - POE L.A (No dramas, just SLOW)

2nd March 10 - Welcome to America Letter

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Start by reading through the information regarding visa ineligiblities. Then consult with a qualified attorney experienced in waivers. If you were arrested, yes, you have to provide accurate answers on the DS-156. Crimes involving moral turpitude do require waivers. Drunk driving is generally consider to be a CIMT to my knowledge, but a lawyer will be best to guide you.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/frvi/ineligib...ities_1364.html

(2) Criminal and related grounds.-

(A) Conviction of certain crimes.-

(i) In general.-Except as provided in clause (ii), any alien convicted of, or who admits having committed, or who admits committing acts which constitute the essential elements of-

(I) a crime involving moral turpitude (other than a purely political offense or an attempt or conspiracy to commit such a crime), or

(II) a violation of (or a conspiracy or attempt to violate) any law or regulation of a State, the United States, or a foreign country relating to a controlled substance (as defined in section 102 of the Controlled Substances Act (21 U.S.C. 802)), is inadmissible.

(ii) Exception.-Clause (i)(I) shall not apply to an alien who committed only one crime if-

(I) the crime was committed when the alien was under 18 years of age, and the crime was committed (and the alien released from any confinement to a prison or correctional institution imposed for the crime) more than 5 years before the date of application for a visa or other documentation and the date of application for admission to the United States, or

(II) the maximum penalty possible for the crime of which the alien was convicted (or which the alien admits having committed or of which the acts that the alien admits having committed constituted the essential elements) did not exceed imprisonment for one year and, if the alien was convicted of such crime, the alien was not sentenced to a term of imprisonment in excess of 6 months (regardless of the extent to which the sentence was ultimately executed).

(B Multiple criminal convictions.-Any alien convicted of 2 or more offenses (other than purely political offenses), regardless of whether the conviction was in a single trial or whether the offenses arose from a single scheme of misconduct and regardless of whether the offenses involved moral turpitude, for which the aggregate sentences to confinement were 5 years or more is inadmissible.

Thanks for your reply Kitkat1....

A link on Captain Ewok's post http://foia.state.gov/masterdocs/09fam/0940021aN.pdf does not place drink driving in the category CIMT, unless of course the Foreign Policy Guidelines in terms of Visas has changed since that.

This still leaves me with the same questions.....

Cheers,

Peta

9th May 08 - NOA-1

4th Dec 08 - Approved!!!

23rd June 09 - Case Complete at NVC (We slowed down the process on purpose to time interview accordingly)

18th August 09 - Medical

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

what part of North Queensland are you from? im from Cairns

Oct 29th 2004 -Met online
Oct 29th -First phone call
Dec 25th -She purposed and i said Yes!
May 10th I-130 Packet and Packet 3 sent off to me by the U.S. Consulate
May 16th -Received Packets 1-3 from the U.S. consulate
June 29th -I arrived in Puerto-Rico!
July 2nd -Married in Mayaguez, Puerto-Rico and also got our interview date for September 6th
August 17th -We arrived in Australia to file for Sep. 6th
September 6th - Filed DCF in Sydney and approved 1 hour later!
September 12 -Received my passport with the visa and yellow packet
November 24th -POE.......Guam,USA
December 12, 2005-Green Card arrived in the mail
September 11, 2007 -Filed I-751 on conditions
September 17 -VSC Receives my I-751 and issues NOA1
Oct 10 -Had biometrics taken in San Juan, Puerto Rico ASC
Oct 12 -Touched.
Aug 21, 2008 -Approved!...........finally
Sep 17, 2008 -Mailed off N-400
Oct 22, 2008 -Biometrics taken in San Juan ASC
Feb 12, 2009 -N-400 Interview
Feb 26, 2009 -Oath.....the end.

....................................*What we do in this life will have an echo in the life to come*...............................

Filed: Country: Thailand
Timeline

A little off topic, but about 10 years ago I used to play with a guitarist what was widely know not only gfor his playing, but also for his drinking habits. This guy would drink a shot of tequila with a beer back between each set break - often 2. During the set he was known to grab someone's beer off the table to play slide guitar solos, then start drinking their beer, while soloing.

ANyway, this guy got 3 DUIs in a month, and we played Knocking On Heaven's Door, only he changed the lyrics:

Lord, take this liscence away from me

I can't use it anymore

I got to drunk, to drunk to see,

Knock, knock knocking on the County's Door

... thats the only verse I can remember, but he had more than were just as funny....

Your absence runs through me like a needle

Everything I do

Is stitched with your color

Married in 2005

I-130

2/6 NOA1

5/11 touch

5-10 Approval for both 129F and I-130

129F

2/14 applied

3/01 NOA1

5/1-11 a few touches

5-10 Approval for both 129F and I-130

5-21 sent to NVC

5-22 129F recieved @ NVC

5-29 forwarded to Embassy

6-12 interview date set (discovered, rather) ... (still no NOA2)

6-22 email notification of NAO2 for I-130

6-27 email notification of NOA2 for 129F

7-15 Medical appointment - Docs say she has pneumonia and want to run 2 months + $2K USD of tests.

7-19 interview

7-20 informed that she has cleared medical. Documents not yet forwarded to Embassy, they will not release them to her, saying they must deliver the documents themselves. (Not true. many people had their medical papers @ the interview)

7-21 Missed flight

7-25 Docs recieved by embassy, visa all ready to go

7-27 Visa revieved

7-28 ARRIVED IN USA!! :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

waiting for AOS NOA

9-28 5 page RFE sent :(

10-7 RFE recieved

Aussielad, I'm from Cairns as well!!! Small world huh. :yes:

Damn @ song lyrics! lol

9th May 08 - NOA-1

4th Dec 08 - Approved!!!

18th August 09 - Medical

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.