Bri and Thor

I-864 Question (mailing address for Part 2)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

(I've done several searches and so far have not found a clear answer, so here I am raising my hand with my question...thank you in advance!)

I am filling in the I-864 form for my sponsorship of my wife and her children (my stepchildren). For the "mailing address" section of Part 2 (Information about the Principal Immigrant), I have a few questions after reviewing the I-864 as well as the published instructions. I may be overthinking this, but I felt like asking the community here would yield some great information as it has many times before. 😁

- Is this intended to be a) my wife's current mailing address in Colombia, her country of residence, or b) her address when she moves in with me here in the US following issuance of her visa?

- If it supposed to be her current address, how might one signify characters other than those allowed by the form (i.e. # and -, in the case of Carrera X # X - X, etc.)? Should I simply fill it in by hand when I print it for signature (seems like the easiest option) or is there a better/more acceptable way?

- For the line regarding "In care of" name, should I list her name or leave it blank? She's the only adult resident at her current address in Colombia...if this is supposed to be her address once here in the US (my address), I'd assume that I'd list myself as the "In care of"...right?

Thanks in advance for your helpful insight!

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, Bri and Thor said:

(I've done several searches and so far have not found a clear answer, so here I am raising my hand with my question...thank you in advance!)

I am filling in the I-864 form for my sponsorship of my wife and her children (my stepchildren). For the "mailing address" section of Part 2 (Information about the Principal Immigrant), I have a few questions after reviewing the I-864 as well as the published instructions. I may be overthinking this, but I felt like asking the community here would yield some great information as it has many times before. 😁

- Is this intended to be a) my wife's current mailing address in Colombia, her country of residence, or b) her address when she moves in with me here in the US following issuance of her visa?

- If it supposed to be her current address, how might one signify characters other than those allowed by the form (i.e. # and -, in the case of Carrera X # X - X, etc.)? Should I simply fill it in by hand when I print it for signature (seems like the easiest option) or is there a better/more acceptable way?

- For the line regarding "In care of" name, should I list her name or leave it blank? She's the only adult resident at her current address in Colombia...if this is supposed to be her address once here in the US (my address), I'd assume that I'd list myself as the "In care of"...right?

Thanks in advance for your helpful insight!

The questions are asked in the present tense.  You can hand write any extra characters when you print and sign.

You said you are filling "the form".  You'll complete, sign and upload a separate form for each immigrant, at least 3 forms, as you've used the plural stepchildren.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
21 hours ago, pushbrk said:

The questions are asked in the present tense.  You can hand write any extra characters when you print and sign.

You said you are filling "the form".  You'll complete, sign and upload a separate form for each immigrant, at least 3 forms, as you've used the plural stepchildren.

Thank you for the clarification re: the extra characters!

That is correct, there are three individuals: my wife, and her two minor children (my stepchildren). Based upon this, I would need to file an I-864 form for each of them, with the other 2 listed as "Family Member 1" and "Family Member 2" in Part 3, i.e. the two children on the I-864 for my wife, my wife and stepdaughter on the I-864 for my minor stepson, etc?

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline
2 hours ago, Bri and Thor said:

Thank you for the clarification re: the extra characters!

That is correct, there are three individuals: my wife, and her two minor children (my stepchildren). Based upon this, I would need to file an I-864 form for each of them, with the other 2 listed as "Family Member 1" and "Family Member 2" in Part 3, i.e. the two children on the I-864 for my wife, my wife and stepdaughter on the I-864 for my minor stepson, etc?

Do not list family members who have their own petition.  You are sponsoring 1 immigrant per affidavit.  The step children are counted in part 5, to make the household size correct.

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline
On 5/30/2021 at 6:20 PM, pushbrk said:

Do not list family members who have their own petition.  You are sponsoring 1 immigrant per affidavit.  The step children are counted in part 5, to make the household size correct.

Many thanks for the clarification!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.