Hannah711

Unable to compress docs

10 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Syria
Timeline

I have tax documents for my joint sponsor and I have been unable to compress them. I have used several different programs.  Am I able to separate the tax documents and submit them or do they have to be submitted all in the same document? 

It is best joining all tax documents into one then upload it.

If you are comfortable compressing the files online, try these sites

https://smallpdf.com/compress-pdf

https://www.ilovepdf.com/compress_pdf

If you are not, google and download some application like "pdfedit995". We used this one but I have used the online sites for other tasks

Edited by randy32

I have the same issue. If I compress below 2MB the quality of the file is bad. I was wondering if we need to upload the whole tax return or just certain documents from it: 1040/1099, certain schedules as that would make a huge difference in file size. Tax return that I have contains certain spreadsheets, comparing tax returns from prior years etc. Not sure if all this is needed...

Timeline
1 hour ago, Nelly_M said:

I have the same issue. If I compress below 2MB the quality of the file is bad. I was wondering if we need to upload the whole tax return or just certain documents from it: 1040/1099, certain schedules as that would make a huge difference in file size. Tax return that I have contains certain spreadsheets, comparing tax returns from prior years etc. Not sure if all this is needed...

Yes exactly! I was going through the documents. One was 94 pages long and I was trying to weed out certain pages that weren’t necessary and that helped a lot but still gcouldnt get it to 2mb. Also not sure if that will cause issues because I deleted pages from the document and not provided the untouched original. 😕 

Timeline
11 hours ago, JoeBacon said:

Try PrimoPDF for compressing, it was a life saver for us during the NVC uploads!

https://www.primopdf.com/

That is one I have not tried and I will try it out! Thank you!

I used Adobe official website. It allows to compress a few times for free per day:

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/online/compress-pdf.html?promoid=C12Y2YQN&mv=other

I-130 spousal visa journey

2020-07-05: I-130 Sent

2020-07-05: I-130 NOA1 (appeared in myUSCIS account on 2020-07-07)

2020-12-05: Transferred from Nebraska to California Service Center (notified when asking about status at myUSCIS)

2021-03-18 / 2021-03-23: Actively reviewing

2021-03-24: I-130 NOA2

2021-03-27: Case sent to Department of State

2021-03-28: Creation of case number at NVC (email notification)

2021-04-02: Paid AOS fee online (debited on 2021-04-05 & shown as paid on 2021-04-07)

2021-04-06: Paid IV fee online (debited on 2021-04-08 & shown as paid on 2021-04-09)

2021-04-11: Submitted IV package online

2021-04-21: Submitted AOS supporting online

2021-05-25: DQ

2021-07-14: Interview scheduled

2021-07-28: Medical exam

2021-08-04: Interview date

2021-08-12: Medical report received and mailed

2021-08-13: CEAC status changed to "Issued"

2021-08-16: VOH

2021-09-22: GC fee paid

2021-12-19: US entry

2022-01-04: SSN received

2022-03-14: GC being produced

2022-03-17: GC being mailed

2022-03-19: GC on hand

Timeline
4 minutes ago, akazenishi said:

I used Adobe official website. It allows to compress a few times for free per day:

https://www.adobe.com/acrobat/online/compress-pdf.html?promoid=C12Y2YQN&mv=other

I tried that one and wasn't able to compress it to 2mb.

For a 94-page document, even the best compression software will have a hard time getting the file under 2 mb if all of the pages are scanned. If, on the other hand, you were able to get access to digital versions of most of the pages and inserted scans only for the pages where signatures appear, the file size will be smaller. For example, most major tax software will generate a (relatively small) pdf of the return, and most W-2s, 1099s, etc. are also available digitally these days as well. Not sure if this would be feasible to obtain from the joint sponsor in this situation, though.

I can’t comment on whether files can be split up as I haven’t looked into that myself.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.