Esylvia

DCF CR-1 London I-130 to email/letter of approval + case number?

64 posts in this topic

Hi everyone! 

I can see from posts that it seems that the consensus is that they are saying it will take 12 weeks from the day of filing (given that it was approved on that day) until we get an email about next steps and interview (hopefully will be less but as both of you got the same response I am not sure the likeliness of that). It seems crazy that is taking double the time as they are pretty much back running as normal right? It is a bit frustrating to have to wait, but I guess I applied 9 weeks ago now, so it will probably be another 3 weeks until we get an email with our case number. 

If anyone has any further updates or if they happen to hear earlier, post in here so we can all stay in the loop!

Hoping everyone will hear soon as I know how difficult long distance and waiting around is!

On 5/24/2021 at 2:28 AM, Esylvia said:

Hi everyone! 

I can see from posts that it seems that the consensus is that they are saying it will take 12 weeks from the day of filing (given that it was approved on that day) until we get an email about next steps and interview (hopefully will be less but as both of you got the same response I am not sure the likeliness of that). It seems crazy that is taking double the time as they are pretty much back running as normal right? It is a bit frustrating to have to wait, but I guess I applied 9 weeks ago now, so it will probably be another 3 weeks until we get an email with our case number. 

If anyone has any further updates or if they happen to hear earlier, post in here so we can all stay in the loop!

Hoping everyone will hear soon as I know how difficult long distance and waiting around is!

This is annoying, yes. But waiting 12 weeks from filing the I-130 and then being able to schedule medical and interview is not a bad outcome given the current backlog. It’s fast in immigration terms, as they say.

Be sure to check your physical mail for anything from the embassy. The responses I got said they’d send a letter. 

• 3 weeks later...

I haven’t received anything yet either. Frustrating because even though I know this is still quick in US immigration terms, the fact that this process feels ad hoc makes things all the more uneasy. 

I haven’t had anything yet either. @Esylvia if you don’t get anything after 12 weeks and a few days to allow for postal delivery, I’d strongly consider using the embassy contact form with both petitioner and beneficiary name, beneficiary mailing address, and statement that it’s been over 12 weeks since I-130 filing and your appointment letter said you’d hear back within 12 weeks. I’ve had the best luck getting responses not with the contact form but replying directly to the email with the appointment confirmation for the I-130 you’d have gotten. It may be with your partner or your attonery if you’re using one. Try to get that email address. I’m reluctant to post it here because I feel that the embassy would not appreciate it being made public.

@valmed if you want to try to get an update, I might recommend you do something similar using the contact form at the 8 week mark. That’s what the instructions online state for those who had their I-130 approved with USCIS in London. It involves playing dumb a bit, but quite frankly, approving the petition and then refusing to give any further instructions for 3 months is crazy enough to warrant this, in my opinion. Could also email send an email to the address you’ve received correspondence from. In this case, I wouldn’t send a reply to the appointment but as a new email thread so mention of 12 weeks doesn’t appear. In either case, it might be useful to have the email sent or contact email listed as your partners’ since it might make it seem a bit less like one person is continually bothering staff.

Just suggestions, but given the fact that direct filing is available because of time sensitive matters, I think we should be doing all we can to at least find out what the cause of delay is.

2 hours ago, saksnoot said:

I haven’t had anything yet either. @Esylvia if you don’t get anything after 12 weeks and a few days to allow for postal delivery, I’d strongly consider using the embassy contact form with both petitioner and beneficiary name, beneficiary mailing address, and statement that it’s been over 12 weeks since I-130 filing and your appointment letter said you’d hear back within 12 weeks. I’ve had the best luck getting responses not with the contact form but replying directly to the email with the appointment confirmation for the I-130 you’d have gotten. It may be with your partner or your attonery if you’re using one. Try to get that email address. I’m reluctant to post it here because I feel that the embassy would not appreciate it being made public.

@valmed if you want to try to get an update, I might recommend you do something similar using the contact form at the 8 week mark. That’s what the instructions online state for those who had their I-130 approved with USCIS in London. It involves playing dumb a bit, but quite frankly, approving the petition and then refusing to give any further instructions for 3 months is crazy enough to warrant this, in my opinion. Could also email send an email to the address you’ve received correspondence from. In this case, I wouldn’t send a reply to the appointment but as a new email thread so mention of 12 weeks doesn’t appear. In either case, it might be useful to have the email sent or contact email listed as your partners’ since it might make it seem a bit less like one person is continually bothering staff.

Just suggestions, but given the fact that direct filing is available because of time sensitive matters, I think we should be doing all we can to at least find out what the cause of delay is.

So today is the 12 week mark and we still have not received an email with case number and next steps, which is definitely disappointing. I have just emailed responding to the original appointment confirmation asking if we can get any case information/anything we can do to help the process along. I will let you guys know what response I get. 

I just don’t understand why it is taking over 12 weeks for them to process applications if all they really need to do is send out case number and next steps information. The delay is definitively frustrating, but hopefully I will get a response which can clear things up.

Edited by Esylvia

Hello guys!

So I have an update. As you know I sent an email on Monday (the 12 week mark) as we had still not received anything. I did get a response the next day stating that a letter will be sent in the mail about next steps, and to expect it within the next few days (it is great to finally hear something!). The only thing that is slightly annoying is that we have still not received an email notification even though I did submit to G-1145. This is annoying as, if our application was processed and we are being sent a letter, this must mean we have a case number. I thought that we would also receive an email with the case number so that we could move forward and book medical and interview, but seems we have to wait. I have sent an email to find out about this and if we will receive an email at all. 

As always I will keep everyone updated!

1 hour ago, Esylvia said:

Hello guys!

So I have an update. As you know I sent an email on Monday (the 12 week mark) as we had still not received anything. I did get a response the next day stating that a letter will be sent in the mail about next steps, and to expect it within the next few days (it is great to finally hear something!). The only thing that is slightly annoying is that we have still not received an email notification even though I did submit to G-1145. This is annoying as, if our application was processed and we are being sent a letter, this must mean we have a case number. I thought that we would also receive an email with the case number so that we could move forward and book medical and interview, but seems we have to wait. I have sent an email to find out about this and if we will receive an email at all. 

As always I will keep everyone updated!

Great news! Glad they are being reasonably responsive and sticking to their stated timelines at the very least.

Apparently those waiting for interview dates who filed stateside are experiencing delays in London, so it’s good to know that the impact on our filings isn’t as significant as it could be. The cause is extended Covid restrictions and staff needing to work on or relocated temorarily to Cornwall for the G7 summit.

Also, I asked an attorney about the G-1145. It’s apparently just asking USCIS to tell you via text/email that the I-130 was filed correctly rather than by email, not any sort of indicator on when/if it’s approved/adjudicated. Whoever filed at the embassy between you and your partner was probably told the filing was completed, so all the G-1145 would have done beyond that was give you an email/text saying as much. Weird that they even asked for it really. 

Also, just wanted to say it’s great having everyone here update regularly. There aren’t many in our position, so the fact that we have found this small group is remarkable and really helpful, I’m sure. 

Edited by saksnoot

20 hours ago, saksnoot said:

Great news! Glad they are being reasonably responsive and sticking to their stated timelines at the very least.

Apparently those waiting for interview dates who filed stateside are experiencing delays in London, so it’s good to know that the impact on our filings isn’t as significant as it could be. The cause is extended Covid restrictions and staff needing to work on or relocated temorarily to Cornwall for the G7 summit.

Also, I asked an attorney about the G-1145. It’s apparently just asking USCIS to tell you via text/email that the I-130 was filed correctly rather than by email, not any sort of indicator on when/if it’s approved/adjudicated. Whoever filed at the embassy between you and your partner was probably told the filing was completed, so all the G-1145 would have done beyond that was give you an email/text saying as much. Weird that they even asked for it really. 

Also, just wanted to say it’s great having everyone here update regularly. There aren’t many in our position, so the fact that we have found this small group is remarkable and really helpful, I’m sure. 

Hello again!

So, great news again! My husband received a response to his email inquiring into an email notification. The visa office replied that they do not normally send information via email, but they did! We have our case number and my husband has booked his medical for next Thursday :) Now to fill out the long ds-260 form! 

timeline so far: 

March 22nd: presented I-130 to the embassy 

June 17th: received case number 

July 1st: medical appointment booked 

I will continue to update as we move forward! Also, does anyone know if you definitely book your own interview appointment or is it given to you? 

36 minutes ago, Esylvia said:

Hello again!

So, great news again! My husband received a response to his email inquiring into an email notification. The visa office replied that they do not normally send information via email, but they did! We have our case number and my husband has booked his medical for next Thursday :) Now to fill out the long ds-260 form! 

timeline so far: 

I will continue to update as we move forward! Also, does anyone know if you definitely book your own interview appointment or is it given to you? 

Sorry meant June 24th is the medical!

On 6/17/2021 at 3:03 PM, Esylvia said:

Hello again!

timeline so far: 

Glad to hear you’ve gotten a helpful response! By any chance, have you tried to schedule the interview yet? I know you’re supposed to wait till after the medical to schedule it, but I’m curious about interview availability (as I’m sure you are).

On 6/18/2021 at 11:18 AM, saksnoot said:

Glad to hear you’ve gotten a helpful response! By any chance, have you tried to schedule the interview yet? I know you’re supposed to wait till after the medical to schedule it, but I’m curious about interview availability (as I’m sure you are).

I am sorry I am just getting back! We haven’t booked the interview yet as we are in the process of finishing the ds-260 form which we need to complete to book our interview. We are going to finish it tomorrow afternoon so we will be booking our appointment and I can let you know what the availability is. I don’t think you need to wait until after the medical just need to complete ds-260. My husband did look into the medical facility where it will take place and reviews did say not to book your interview to soon after the medical as some people had gone to their interview and the medical had not been received yet. I think we are going to aim to book it a week or week and a half after medical if that is possible and there is availability. 

Have a good rest of your Sunday!

39 minutes ago, valmed said:

We've just tried emailing the embassy about 10 weeks after filing and they've said we'll hear back after 12 weeks

We tried the same thing and got the same response. It sort of feels like they’re just waiting for us to contact them after 12 weeks 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.