Esylvia

DCF CR-1 London I-130 to email/letter of approval + case number?

64 posts in this topic

Hello,

My husband (beneficiary) and I (petitioner) we’re accepted for the DCF process with the exceptional circumstance of a quick relocation job offer in the US. I handed in the I-130 at the US embassy in London on March 22nd (the same day that I left that country and as it happens my birthday as well—what a day!). I was told that everything looked good and to look out for an email that would explain next steps (medical exam and spouse interview). It has since been 7 weeks since then and we have still not heard a response. I even emailed last week and I have not received a response to that either. From what I have read online it seems that the time between submitting the I-130 at the embassy and receiving an email is usually much quicker, so I am worrying a bit. I did submit the email notification form. I did hear that they have now started processing K-1 visas again so not sure if this is adding an extra delay to responses? 

If anyone happens to have an knowledge around current DCF London processing times or anything else, please let me know!

3 hours ago, valmed said:

Just replying to say we're in a similar position- we submitted the I-130 at the London Embassy in early April and they said it would be a few weeks before we would hear about the next steps. I also emailed last week with no response.

Hi! Thanks for responding. Although it is not fun waiting around, it is at least kind of good to hear that we are not the only ones experiencing a longer wait time! I am assuming it must just be that they are delayed due to covid and because they have started processing k-1 visas. Hopefully we will hear soon and I have heard that once you do get your case number it’s moves pretty fast after that, which is nice! 

Also replying here to say we filed under exceptional circumstances in London about a month after you. Hopefully we can all share knowledge. 

I was told that they couldn’t give a timeline for next contact other than “a matter of weeks.” When I pressed, the officer said they had been told 5-6 weeks usually but the situation is quite fluid at this period of time.

I imagine that between March and April, staffing and operation scale increased as things opened up. So for something in March, it’s likely longer than 5-6 weeks. I wouldn’t panic yet.

Also, (I’m think that) as opposed to if USCIS took the I-130, you don’t get a separate notice of I-130 approval before the consular section at the Embassy notifies you of your LDN case number and next steps. Historically, the gap between I-130 approval notice and LDN case number being sent could be up to 8 weeks. So if you’ll only be contacted now once the LDN case is assigned, that could mean a slightly longer wait too. 

Edited by saksnoot

On 5/9/2021 at 7:26 PM, saksnoot said:

Also replying here to say we filed under exceptional circumstances in London about a month after you. Hopefully we can all share knowledge. 

I was told that they couldn’t give a timeline for next contact other than “a matter of weeks.” When I pressed, the officer said they had been told 5-6 weeks usually but the situation is quite fluid at this period of time.

I imagine that between March and April, staffing and operation scale increased as things opened up. So for something in March, it’s likely longer than 5-6 weeks. I wouldn’t panic yet.

Also, (I’m think that) as opposed to if USCIS took the I-130, you don’t get a separate notice of I-130 approval before the consular section at the Embassy notifies you of your LDN case number and next steps. Historically, the gap between I-130 approval notice and LDN case number being sent could be up to 8 weeks. So if you’ll only be contacted now once the LDN case is assigned, that could mean a slightly longer wait too. 

Yes, would definitely love to share knowledge and our experiences!

Again, although it is hard to wait around for a response, it is good to know we are not the only ones in the same boat. Thank you for sharing your input as it does put me at ease a bit! Just feel anxious to hear and want to move forward with things!

Wishing everyone luck!

18 hours ago, Esylvia said:

Does anyone know as well if there are any restrictions on spouses from different countries coming into the US at the current time? or is it allowed as they will be coming in on a visa and receiving a green card?

Spouses of US citizens are and have always been exempt from the travel restrictions.

There has also explicitly been an announcement recently that anyone coming on an immigrant visa is allowed to enter the US.

Today, I emailed the embassy to find out how they would contact us with next steps.

I got a reply stating that the beneficiary would receive a letter no sooner than 12 weeks from the day the I-130 was approved. The email also said that our I-130 was approved on the 26th of April, which was the day of the appointment to file.

I’ve asked whether our file has an associated LND case number and what that number is, given that our I-130 was filed in London and has been approved for 3 weeks already. I’ll update if I get a reply on that.

36 minutes ago, saksnoot said:

Today, I emailed the embassy to find out how they would contact us with next steps.

I got a reply stating that the beneficiary would receive a letter no sooner than 12 weeks from the day the I-130 was approved. The email also said that our I-130 was approved on the 26th of April, which was the day of the appointment to file.

I’ve asked whether our file has an associated LND case number and what that number is, given that our I-130 was filed in London and has been approved for 3 weeks already. I’ll update if I get a reply on that.

Thanks for sharing! Great that you heard back so quickly. I still have not received a response to my email and I was considering sending a follow-up. 

Wow its taking 12 weeks now? That’s much longer than what I have seen previously for other DCF cases (usually 5-6 weeks), but I guess it explains why it is taking a long time for us to hear back. I am pretty sure that mine also was approved on the day of just based off what the woman said, but I don’t know for sure. 

Just to be clear, you have found out from an email response from the embassy that it was approved? But you have not received the email or letter yet about next steps and interview?

I will update once I hear or get a response from the embassy!

14 minutes ago, Esylvia said:

Thanks for sharing! Great that you heard back so quickly. I still have not received a response to my email and I was considering sending a follow-up. 

Wow its taking 12 weeks now? That’s much longer than what I have seen previously for other DCF cases (usually 5-6 weeks), but I guess it explains why it is taking a long time for us to hear back. I am pretty sure that mine also was approved on the day of just based off what the woman said, but I don’t know for sure. 

Just to be clear, you have found out from an email response from the embassy that it was approved? But you have not received the email or letter yet about next steps and interview?

Yeah, the 12 weeks is less than ideal. I’m just quite perplexed by the wording I got in the response. It said the beneficiary would receive a letter no sooner than 12 weeks from approval. It feels so unusual for them to have ruled out sending a letter before 3 months from the day of approval. 

In the initial email when they offered an appointment at the embassy for filing the I-130, they said:

Please note: Processing of I-130 petitions could take up to a further twelve weeks to complete once the I-130 has been submitted and approved at the Embassy.

Maybe they meant up to 12 weeks?

Also @saksnoot, who did you email? I've not heard a response to my initial email and it would be good to know if at least my I-130 has been approved. Thanks!

6 minutes ago, valmed said:

In the initial email when they offered an appointment at the embassy for filing the I-130, they said:

Please note: Processing of I-130 petitions could take up to a further twelve weeks to complete once the I-130 has been submitted and approved at the Embassy.

Maybe they meant up to 12 weeks?

Also @saksnoot, who did you email? I've not heard a response to my initial email and it would be good to know if at least my I-130 has been approved. Thanks!

I sent the email as a reply to my I-130 appointment confirmation email.

I hope they did mean up to 12 weeks; my appointment email did contain that note as well. Hoping it’s sooner, but good to know that the 12 week period started quickly.

I wonder what further processing of that form is needed. I suppose maybe data entry and such to create a visa case file from it. 

Edited by saksnoot
Adding additional information

19 hours ago, Esylvia said:

So I did get them to say that the I-130 was approved in the email yesterday. I asked for a case number if it had been assigned, and I got a reply this morning stating that a case number would be provided 12 weeks after approval, along with further instructions.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.