Kitzki

Tax return extension with spouse AOS pending status

5 posts in this topic

Good afternoon!

I have a very quick question and need to get clarification. I've tried to find answer here and there but I was not really clear about this.

my husband has pending AOS and currently waiting for bio appointment. he hasn't received EAD yet.. so no SSN as of now.

I was going to file tax extension and wait until he receives his SSN then file jointly.

but I'm not too clear if I can send extension request with my info only.. should I request his ITIN even if it's a request of extension?

or can I just send it out with my info only and will be okay if I file in future with his SSN? 

Thank you!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Reading thru your other posts , you just filled for this January 25th of this year

you are not going to have the EAD and SS # even by the time of an extension (from what i gather reading posts from so many that are waiting a year or more )

Extension only give you till Oct 15th

1 hour ago, JeanneAdil said:

Reading thru your other posts , you just filled for this January 25th of this year

you are not going to have the EAD and SS # even by the time of an extension (from what i gather reading posts from so many that are waiting a year or more )

Extension only give you till Oct 15th

Hello! 

I've been reading forums as well.. in my understanding a lot of people wait a year or longer to receive complete GC but I've seen EAD getting approved within 4-6 months of period. there is possibility that He won't be able to receive it on time but I figured there isn't harm to try. I just didn't want to amend it later and felt like it's so much hassle. His application is actively being reviewed currently as well. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

Even though taxes are due May 17 this year, you had to have filed the extension by April 15 to have it extended to october 15. In your case, an extension is irrelevant as it is now past the due date to file one. It says so right on the top of page 2 of form 4868 "when to file form 4868". It's silly, I know.

Even if you did file the extension on time, there's a high chance he won't get his SSN by October 15. My husband just got his 2 weeks ago and it took nearly 9 months. 

Edited by GetOutside

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.