Joe Kano

Tax Transcript needed for Interview?

17 posts in this topic

Does they require tax transcripts for US Citizenship Interview?

Our 2019 was filed on time by June 14 and still not showing up on the IRS website, I do have the check the US Dept of Treasury Endorsed for the payment.

Our 2020 taxes are not due until June 15th so I haven't filed those, I will do those online so the IRS can't screw up again.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

The instructions say to bring them, if you cannot get transcripts, you can always take copies of your returns along with the W2s/1099s.

Good Luck!

D. Tax Returns and Overdue Taxes. Bring photocopies of income tax returns that you filed with the IRS for the past 5 years, or 3 years if filing for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen. Tax returns are not required for every case. However, USCIS strongly encourages you to bring your tax returns; especially if you are filing based on marriage to a U.S. citizen or have traveled outside the United States for a period that lasted 6 months or more. You can request copies of Federal tax documents at your local IRS office or www.irs.gov. You may also bring an original IRS tax transcript listing tax information for the past 5 years (3 years if filing on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen). To obtain a free IRS tax transcript, visit www.irs.gov. Select “Tools” and then select “Order a Return or Account Transcript.” For assistance, you can also call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946. If you have any Federal, state, or local taxes that are overdue, bring: (1) A signed agreement from the IRS, state, or local tax office showing you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and (2) Documentation from the IRS, state, or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/n-400instr.pdf

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, Dashinka said:

The instructions say to bring them, if you cannot get transcripts, you can always take copies of your returns along with the W2s/1099s.

Good Luck!

D. Tax Returns and Overdue Taxes. Bring photocopies of income tax returns that you filed with the IRS for the past 5 years, or 3 years if filing for naturalization on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen. Tax returns are not required for every case. However, USCIS strongly encourages you to bring your tax returns; especially if you are filing based on marriage to a U.S. citizen or have traveled outside the United States for a period that lasted 6 months or more. You can request copies of Federal tax documents at your local IRS office or www.irs.gov. You may also bring an original IRS tax transcript listing tax information for the past 5 years (3 years if filing on the basis of marriage to a U.S. citizen). To obtain a free IRS tax transcript, visit www.irs.gov. Select “Tools” and then select “Order a Return or Account Transcript.” For assistance, you can also call the IRS at 1-800-908-9946. If you have any Federal, state, or local taxes that are overdue, bring: (1) A signed agreement from the IRS, state, or local tax office showing you have filed a tax return and arranged to pay the taxes you owe; and (2) Documentation from the IRS, state, or local tax office showing the current status of your repayment program.

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/n-400instr.pdf

Yea, I will take all my stuff I have.  I will have at least 3 of 5 years Tax transcripts and hopefully I will have my 2020 filed and I can get a tax transcript by then.

We are doing naturalized based on marriage

I don't get any 1099's/W2, my income is either checks credit cards or some cash. But I file yearly and on time.

Side question:

Do they take assets?  Do the assets need to be in my name I am the US Citizen or in my wife name? I keep all finances seperate from my wife. 

Or is this whole thing on her since she is the one filing? 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Take whatever paperwork you have as evidence of marital union. In terms of properties, My understanding is it should be both under your names if you are to present these dox. If that’s not available Im pretty sure that you have other are dox available on your end as proof of marital union.

When I was interviewed yday, I brought everything that I can including holiday cards mailed to both of us but the officer didn’t even asked for it. But it is always better to over prepare than go for an interview under prepared.

Good luck!

4 hours ago, jaya_razz said:

Take whatever paperwork you have as evidence of marital union. In terms of properties, My understanding is it should be both under your names if you are to present these dox. If that’s not available Im pretty sure that you have other are dox available on your end as proof of marital union.

When I was interviewed yday, I brought everything that I can including holiday cards mailed to both of us but the officer didn’t even asked for it. But it is always better to over prepare than go for an interview under prepared.

Good luck!

Do I as the US husband need to go to the interview? Is it required or suggested? We have been very lucky to date, My wife did her initial K1 Interview in Philippines and I attended that one. But her 2 year and 10 year Greencard she didn't have to do an interview.

Filed: Other Country: Saudi Arabia
Timeline
14 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Yea, I will take all my stuff I have.  I will have at least 3 of 5 years Tax transcripts and hopefully I will have my 2020 filed and I can get a tax transcript by then.

We are doing naturalized based on marriage

I don't get any 1099's/W2, my income is either checks credit cards or some cash. But I file yearly and on time.

Side question:

Do they take assets?  Do the assets need to be in my name I am the US Citizen or in my wife name? I keep all finances seperate from my wife. 

Or is this whole thing on her since she is the one filing? 

They dont care about assets, they care about proof of ongoing and valid marriage.

Joint assets, joint accounts, joint property, joint insurance policies, are all reviewed as proof of ongoing valid marriage.  I would not advise submitting a pile of evidence showing all your assets are separate.  

Edited by Nitas_man

6 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

They dont care about assets, they care about proof of ongoing and valid marriage.

Joint assets, joint accounts, joint property, joint insurance policies, are all reviewed as proof of ongoing valid marriage.  I would not advise submitting a pile of evidence showing all your assets are separate.  

Of course I will only give supporting documents that show valid marriage, I put her name on a couple of bills like water and internet/TV when she got here. I do have joint bank account set up with her when she first arrived here so we could get thru the AOS stuff.

We have a couple trips to Cancun and Rivera Maya next couple of months and will show all those as well, and whatever my wife has collected in the past.

I am hoping she can get her US citizenship so she can travel with me long term

Timeline
2 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Of course I will only give supporting documents that show valid marriage, I put her name on a couple of bills like water and internet/TV when she got here. I do have joint bank account set up with her when she first arrived here so we could get thru the AOS stuff.

We have a couple trips to Cancun and Rivera Maya next couple of months and will show all those as well, and whatever my wife has collected in the past.

I am hoping she can get her US citizenship so she can travel with me long term

Anything you have that proves you lived together in a valid marriage for the entire three years is good.  Sort of like AOS but without the “support affidavit” documentation.

This is what I know (and we just recently filed an N-400 after 14 years but this is the first time we met the “three year presence”)

A five-year application is on the applicant, a three year application is on the couple.  

When we get the interview appointment - I’m attending it just like AOS.  Valid marriage and US presence are the only hurdles on this step, no way I’m sending her to this one alone.

Good luck!

18 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

Anything you have that proves you lived together in a valid marriage for the entire three years is good.  Sort of like AOS but without the “support affidavit” documentation.

This is what I know (and we just recently filed an N-400 after 14 years but this is the first time we met the “three year presence”)

A five-year application is on the applicant, a three year application is on the couple.  

When we get the interview appointment - I’m attending it just like AOS.  Valid marriage and US presence are the only hurdles on this step, no way I’m sending her to this one alone.

Good luck!

Yea, I will attend to just see what is like. I am going to ask about why do they let DACA get EAD and someone who goes thru the legal system it a pain

My wife could of filed a couple years ago, it's been 5 years now.  Bad thing is when we did AOS for 10 year we didn't have enough evidence so we got a RFE and we sent in documents from friends stating we were a couple and had two of them had taken trips with us to like Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos.

It would be nice for her to get her citizenship.

Timeline
3 hours ago, Joe Kano said:

Yea, I will attend to just see what is like. I am going to ask about why do they let DACA get EAD and someone who goes thru the legal system it a pain

My wife could of filed a couple years ago, it's been 5 years now.  Bad thing is when we did AOS for 10 year we didn't have enough evidence so we got a RFE and we sent in documents from friends stating we were a couple and had two of them had taken trips with us to like Dominican Republic and Turks and Caicos.

It would be nice for her to get her citizenship.

If it’s been 5 years all she has to prove is presence in the US and a clean record. Should be a painless process.  

22 hours ago, Nitas_man said:

If it’s been 5 years all she has to prove is presence in the US and a clean record. Should be a painless process.  

Yea, that is what I was thinking.  We are coming up on like 6 months now since she filed, from looking at some others here it looks like it taking a year to get an appointment for the interview, I guess we will sit back and wait.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
On 4/16/2021 at 5:08 PM, Joe Kano said:

Do I as the US husband need to go to the interview? Is it required or suggested? We have been very lucky to date, My wife did her initial K1 Interview in Philippines and I attended that one. But her 2 year and 10 year Greencard she didn't have to do an interview.

based on the notice to appear for an interview the only party allowed to get in is the applicant. interpreters need to be available on the phone.my husband waited for me inside the car

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: Timeline

Isn't the deadline for taxes today May 15-th?

December 2009 - First met.

February 2010 - Start of our relationship <3
January 7 2016 -Our Wedding in a romantic town of Aeroskobing <3

April 1 2016 - Sent CR1 package to RapidVisa.

April 18 2016 - CR1 Package delivered to USCIS Phoenix lock box.

April 22 2016 - Acceptance notification received by email. Case sent to Nebraska Service Center.

May 03 2016 - NOA1 hard copy received.

May 24 2016 - Return to the US to reestablish domicile.

August 3 2016 - Case transferred to Texas Service Center.

August 29 2016 - I-130 approved! (NOA2) <3 <3 <3

September 30 2016 - NVC Recieved.
November 14 2016 - Sent AOS and IV packages to Rapidvisa! :D
November 29 2016 - SCAN DATE!
February 15 2017 - Case Complete at NVC (11 weeks)
March 28 2017 - My Interview Day! :D (APPROVED!!!)

8 hours ago, Renegade said:

Isn't the deadline for taxes today May 15-th?

Texas was extended until June 15th due to the ice storm.

For me I was swamped working just until 2 weeks ago fixing and repairing water and gas lines that got destroyed or impacted. I can see why they extended it.  Many people were displaced from their homes for months.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.