MexicoExpat

By which mail method do documents arrive after entering on immigrant visa?

2 posts in this topic

My wife entered the US yesterday and everything went smoothly regarding her entry. When we arrived home, we realized that there is going to be some difficulty with her receiving some types of mail in her name.

Basically anything delivered as letters by the post office addressed in her name will arrive just fine. But packages and anything delivered by a carrier like FedEx or DHL currently will not. Our apartment complex uses a system called Luxer which are code-automated lock boxes for octave deliveries. However you can’t just create an account, it’s tied to the email address on your lease agreement. Landlord is out of town and says he will add her when he’s back in a couple month, so no real quick fix here. 

We basically only need her green card and social security card, plus any other correspondence USCIS or the government wants to send along to us. I do understand that the green card and social security card will be coming from two separate entities, though I’m assuming (hopefully correctly) that since they are government agencies, things will be sent through USPS and delivered in the regular mail. 

Just want to be prepared in case we need to do anything specific to increase her ability to receive all types of mail while waiting for the landlord to add her to the lease more officially.  

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline
16 hours ago, MexicoExpat said:

My wife entered the US yesterday and everything went smoothly regarding her entry. When we arrived home, we realized that there is going to be some difficulty with her receiving some types of mail in her name.

Basically anything delivered as letters by the post office addressed in her name will arrive just fine. But packages and anything delivered by a carrier like FedEx or DHL currently will not. Our apartment complex uses a system called Luxer which are code-automated lock boxes for octave deliveries. However you can’t just create an account, it’s tied to the email address on your lease agreement. Landlord is out of town and says he will add her when he’s back in a couple month, so no real quick fix here. 

We basically only need her green card and social security card, plus any other correspondence USCIS or the government wants to send along to us. I do understand that the green card and social security card will be coming from two separate entities, though I’m assuming (hopefully correctly) that since they are government agencies, things will be sent through USPS and delivered in the regular mail. 

Just want to be prepared in case we need to do anything specific to increase her ability to receive all types of mail while waiting for the landlord to add her to the lease more officially.  

USPS. A couple things to keep in mind. It might take several months to get the GC. And USCIS might never send the application for the SSC. I suggest trying to make an appointment with your SSO to apply for it in person.

The GC will arrive in a priority mail envelope. SSN is a regular letter envelope. Nothing fancy.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.