Ptitchou

Experiences with border crossing into Canada during COVID restrictions

7 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hello all,

I wanted to start a separate thread on this topic rather than keep adding to the long one for easier reference. 

As most of us know, the situation with border crossing has been difficult and restrictions can change, so please refer to the government site for the most up to date rules: https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid

I wanted to share our experience with having my USC husband come visit via land border.

My husband had recovered from COVID in January, so he has proof of a positive test that falls within the 14-90 day range. On March 4, he drove up here via the Peace Bridge and it also happened to be the day they implemented land border testing at that port. 

The guard was polite, but also admitted he was new and didn't really know the rules for exemptions from testing, so while he did allow my husband to enter, he still handed him two test kits and directed him to a parking area to wait in the car for someone from Public Health to come speak with him. He waited...1.5 later he finally flagged down another border guard and asked what's going on and they said just to stay put and they knew he was there. 

Finally, someone got to him after 2 hours of waiting in a dead parking lot and went through his quarantine plan. They accepted his previous test results and then took back the test kits, as they wouldn't be necessary this time, and then they actually phoned me to confirm I understood the risks of having him stay with me and ensure that I gave my consent. Once that was done, they let him go. 

So if you're crossing by land right now, be aware that it's a bureaucratic, unorganized mess and the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing. Ensure that you give yourself more than adequate time and get that pee break out of the way before you reach the border. You may be there a while. 

That said, he's here now and may you all be able to travel to be with your families smoothly and safely. 

Timeline
2 hours ago, Montrealy said:

Thanks, this is helpful. Where is the long thread that you are referring to?

Sorry, i was referring to: IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED"

Timeline
9 hours ago, Ptitchou said:

Sorry, i was referring to: IR-1/CR-1 Montreal DQ'd private message group goes public CONTINUED"

This is a really good idea to start something here, the big thread has become so messy with multiple topics and random questions in there...😒

I have similar but not as quiet frustrating as your experience at the peace bridge. The officer was following the law, so I would not expect him to be nice, he was harsh. Usually the Canadian officers are nice, and this one was not one of them. After lengthy interrogation with questions even unrelated to the covid, and this is not the first time I am visiting my Canadian wife. He also let me pay tax for my gift for my wife, and for those who didnot not know like me the allowed amount for a gift for the wife is only 60 dollars " quiet a lame, and mean law if you ask my opinion " He gave a recite and I have to pay tax inside. He also gave me two kits to work on, the experience with the fist kit is quiet also frustrating, and you have to wait for the nurse online for almost 3 hours waiting to get done and then wrap it and let them pick it the next day. " been waiting to see my wife for a while, and I have to struggle with this kit and wait for 3 hours over the phone for them to answer for the kit ; another lame experience against us ". Anyway the laws I think is gonna stay here for a while, I just feel bad for US who wants to see their loved ones, and all the bullshit politics and obstacles plus waiting times thrown at us without mercy, and no-one seems to care or doing anything about it. Immigration waiting times is getting longer prior to covid and now with Covid even longer and no-one is doing anything. I think they should expedite their work load, and finish all these backlogs, so we are done with this game. Immigration and Embassy workers should get vaccinated and expedite their work like every one who has extra work to finish. This should not be excuse for them, should be the opposite.  

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Some of the VJ members that have already a) interviewed and b) crossed the border have updated their profiles and included the information there.  I'd recommend others doing the same.  I think it then comes up if you search the consulate reviews and border crossings.  

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 FAQ

Montreal IR-1/CR-1 Visa spreadsheet: follow directions at top of page for data to be added

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.