Joe Kano

Buying 4 to 6 hectares in Philippines and buidling a couple of house

21 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, seekingthetruth said:

Covid was the straw that broke the camel's back, for me.  It makes you realize that you, as a foreigner, and also the common citizens, don't have the same rights as you do in the U.S.  Less freedoms.  I will have been here almost 10 years when we move next year.  I want to move to Texas, and you want to move from Texas.

Nevermind

Edited by Talako

Finally done.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2021 at 12:07 AM, seekingthetruth said:

Visa Journey is about moving to the U.S., not moving to the Philippines.  The advice you get here will probably be biased, but could still be good advice.  Remember that many here on VJ are trying to get loved ones OUT of the Philippines, not IN.  And most have good reasons for leaving the Philippines.

Covid was the straw that broke the camel's back, for me.  It makes you realize that you, as a foreigner, and also the common citizens, don't have the same rights as you do in the U.S.  Less freedoms.  I will have been here almost 10 years when we move next year.  I want to move to Texas, and you want to move from Texas.

I don't want to move from Texas,  Love it here and love my house and area where I live.  I just was thinking about building a house over there, my relative can keep an eye on it.  Right now only considering land purchase only.  I never see myself living full time in Philippines, too boring and as you mentioned as an Foreigner my rights are very limited. 

I visited Davao to consider it as a place to live, before I settled in Subic Bay Freeport.  It was ok in 2012, but the main reason I would not choose to live there is because you are limited to one area if you want to be safe.  I like to drive and take my family on driving vacations.  I would never risk that there.  Gen San is a two hour drive from Davao City.  I would never risk it.  So basically, if you live in Davao City, you are on an island and can't go anywhere.  There are those who live in S. Mindanao and will argue that it is safe.  It only takes one incident to change your mind.  It might only be NPA shaking you down for some money if you are lucky.  Abu Sayyaf, good luck.

I know people in Davao and they like it  Also in CDO.  They had a all out war in Marawi City not long ago, and that is less than 3 hours from CDO.  A friend of mine was in the U.S. military several years back and spent long time in Gen San as part of the anti-terrorist advisors.  He ended up marrying a girl from there.  They built a family compound there, walls and everything.  He has not felt safe to go back there in a long time, so the house is for the family now.  He said even though they tried to keep his visits quiet, and he would go from the airport to the compound in a dark tinted car, everyone in the whole area would know he was there immediately.  His wife still visits, but not him.

Davao is no longer the jewel it once was, tons of traffic and tons of beggars there.  It seems since Duterte became President Davao has turned into little Manila in terms of traffic.  Add the mayor who has imposed all kinds of restrictions in Davao it's no longer a desirable place.   

I am looking around Digos City which is about 45 minutes by car/bus south of Davao City, I have spent about 2 years there on and off the last decade of so.  I purchased a house and lot back in 2011 for only 20k USD back then. Them days are long gone now.

I have a motorbike and have driven to GenSan many times, as of now and last few years it is a safe city for kanos, back around 2007 to 2011 time frame I was warned not to go there,  But now it's safe.  I stand out like a sore thumb there due to being tall, white and not small framed, never had an issue in Gen San.

Are you saying 4-7 hectares for 140k USD?  Good luck.  I just Googled and it said Davao City is p40,000 - p70,000 per square meter.  Just call it about $1000 per square meter.  So a hectare in a safe area in Davao would be $10,000,000.  Doesn't sound right.  So you would buy in some unsafe area?  A wall won't help much when NPA decides they want to stay with you for a while.

4 to 7 hectares going for around 140k seem easy to find 

I would be about 45 minutes south of Davao City.  Hagonoy specifically is area he is looking.  I have always like the area due to all the rice fields and there is a banana plantation, it looks like a hot landing zone from a Vietnam war movie, really cool looking.

NPA isn't around there, it's ABU Sayaff you worry about in that area.  A couple of pistols will ward off trouble.

On 3/5/2021 at 4:35 AM, Joe Kano said:

4 to 7 hectares going for around 140k seem easy to find 

I would be about 45 minutes south of Davao City.  Hagonoy specifically is area he is looking.  I have always like the area due to all the rice fields and there is a banana plantation, it looks like a hot landing zone from a Vietnam war movie, really cool looking.

NPA isn't around there, it's ABU Sayaff you worry about in that area.  A couple of pistols will ward off trouble.

How you been doing man, long time no talk to?

9 hours ago, Cyberfx1024 said:

How you been doing man, long time no talk to?

Doing great, and you?

Been so busy since the extreme cold temps rocked Texas, had tons of house with copper pipes break and flood houses.  Work is overwhelming.

We had homes in my area without electricity for 3 days straight, and add that with lowest temps ever recorded and it was a disaster.  I always thought the brown outs in Philippines was bad.  That's nothing when the temperature is 0 degree Fahrenheit and they decide to do rolling blackouts.  If I knew stuff like that could actually happen in the USA I would of install natural gas powered generators at my house.  

I am planning on retiring either full time or part time come July of this year, and start to travel.  Probably hit Mexico and Cancun area first and then explore central or South America a bit.  I suspect it will be sometime in early 2022 before Philippines opens back up.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.