DennisWaldron

NBI AKA

50 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just a note for others who may find this thread in the future.  A friend of mine did a spousal visa and got the same thing, they wanted her married name on the NBI so they did another and sent it in and the embassy said no, it has to have both names on the one NBI clearance.  One for each name wasn't acceptable.

• 1 month later...
Filed: FB-3 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

To those who tried to renew the NBI online by editing the NBI profile, did you get the NBI clearance with the AKA on it?

Or, one should really go to any NBI branch to have the AKA?

TIA.

3 minutes ago, Immigirl22 said:

To those who tried to renew the NBI online by editing the NBI profile, did you get the NBI clearance with the AKA on it?

Or, one should really go to any NBI branch to have the AKA?

You can enter an AKA in your online profile.  But be prepared with documentation regarding that AKA when you go to NBI for your appointment.  Like an annotated birth certificate, court documents for legal name change, or old passports listing the AKA name.

In my case, I'm using my maiden name on my passport, but listed my married name as my AKA name in my NBI profile.  The NBI staff did not accept it (I have no official documents listing my married name) and erased the AKA entry from my profile.

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Chancy said:

You can enter an AKA in your online profile.  But be prepared with documentation regarding that AKA when you go to NBI for your appointment.  Like an annotated birth certificate, court documents for legal name change, or old passports listing the AKA name.

In my case, I'm using my maiden name on my passport, but listed my married name as my AKA name in my NBI profile.  The NBI staff did not accept it (I have no official documents listing my married name) and erased the AKA entry from my profile.

Yes, I did that in the NBI profile and we also have all documents with regards to the name change (Local Civil Registry, Court Proceedings etc). Husband did not really use the name on any public document. It just bothers me that it says "even if you did not use the name" , the AKA should be there.

So one should go appear in any NBI office, right? It will not add the AKA on the clearance when you clicked on Renew NBI Clearance?

19 minutes ago, Immigirl22 said:

Yes, I did that in the NBI profile and we also have all documents with regards to the name change (Local Civil Registry, Court Proceedings etc). Husband did not really use the name on any public document. It just bothers me that it says "even if you did not use the name" , the AKA should be there.

Since your husband had to go through court proceedings, that means he did have the AKA name on an official document at some point, even if he never used it in his daily life.  Otherwise, why did he need to go to court for the name change?  If the AKA name is listed on any government-issued document, he must list that name in his NBI clearance.

19 minutes ago, Immigirl22 said:

So one should go appear in any NBI office, right? It will not add the AKA on the clearance when you clicked on Renew NBI Clearance?

Try the Edit Profile feature on the NBI clearance site before clicking renewal.  If your husband is not able to edit his online profile to add the AKA entry or the AKA name does not appear on the NBI renewal, then book an appointment instead.  When he goes to the NBI office, he must notify the NBI staff that his AKA name needs to be added.

Edited by Chancy
clarification

Timeline
10 hours ago, Chancy said:

Since your husband had to go through court proceedings, that means he did have the AKA name on an official document at some point, even if he never used it in his daily life.  Otherwise, why did he need to go to court for the name change?  If the AKA name is listed on any government-issued document, he must list that name in his NBI clearance.

Sorry, not court proceedings but the Affidavit of Discrepancy document signed by the Local Civil Registry.

10 hours ago, Chancy said:

Try the Edit Profile feature on the NBI clearance site before clicking renewal.  If your husband is not able to edit his online profile to add the AKA entry or the AKA name does not appear on the NBI renewal, then book an appointment instead.  When he goes to the NBI office, he must notify the NBI staff that his AKA name needs to be added.

We were able to edit ihis profile and add the AKA and requested a new copy using "Renewal". Let's see if we will get a copy with the AKA on it.

I will update if successful, otherwise, I will book him an appointment with NBI branch.

• 1 year later...
On 2/22/2021 at 11:41 PM, DennisWaldron said:

Ir1 Philippines 

Received 221g at interview asking for new NBI with husband last name.

Even Though have never changed name, &/or used husbands last name on any legal documents.

Marriage certificate (married in USA)

Shows maiden name.

All our paperwork apply for visa shows maiden name.

When go to try to get new NBI with husbands name. They ask for id with that name.... in which dont have because never changed it.

Has anyone else seen this or heard of it?

If so...is there a solution?

And who might we contact to resolve this?

Thanks in advance, 

Hello! I just wanted to ask how did you get done the nbi clearance because we the same case. What should i do to get my nbi clearance and AKA? 

On 5/10/2023 at 9:06 AM, @pamelapam said:

Hello! I just wanted to ask how did you get done the nbi clearance because we the same case. What should i do to get my nbi clearance and AKA? 

Is the concern that you might need an AKA for your husband's surname even if you have not used his name on any paperwork????   If that is the concern, usually the embassy would still require an AKA or listed as husbands name in that situation, because even though you haven't used your husbands name, it is still a name that you legally could use.  They say they want an AKA for any legal name, whether you used it in real life or not.  In the case of my wife she had no problem obtaining her NBI Clearance as civil status married and with my name as "husbands name" with just our overseas Costa Rica marriage certificate.  At the time she got her NBI Clearance our report of marriage was not yet filed and she had no Philippine documents or ID whatsoever that showed my name.  NBI was happy with only the foreign marriage certificate. 

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

21 hours ago, top_secret said:

Is the concern that you might need an AKA for your husband's surname even if you have not used his name on any paperwork????   If that is the concern, usually the embassy would still require an AKA or listed as husbands name in that situation, because even though you haven't used your husbands name, it is still a name that you legally could use.  They say they want an AKA for any legal name, whether you used it in real life or not.  In the case of my wife she had no problem obtaining her NBI Clearance as civil status married and with my name as "husbands name" with just our overseas Costa Rica marriage certificate.  At the time she got her NBI Clearance our report of marriage was not yet filed and she had no Philippine documents or ID whatsoever that showed my name.  NBI was happy with only the foreign marriage certificate. 

On my 221g that they gave me just stated "NBI LISTING HUSBANDS LAST NAME" did you do it at the Main branch of NBI? and do i also need to be present there because im currently in Japan right now. 

3 minutes ago, @pamelapam said:

On my 221g that they gave me just stated "NBI LISTING HUSBANDS LAST NAME" did you do it at the Main branch of NBI? and do i also need to be present there because im currently in Japan right now. 

My wife just got hers at the NBI office in Pampanga.  Any NBI office could do it, the main branch might be where you can get it fastest.  But if you are in Japan I think you have to go through the Philippine Embassy.

Wife and Stepdaughter                                                                            

• December 17, 2020:  Married in Costa Rica
  • March 08, 2021: Filed l-130s Online
  • March 09, 2021: NOA1
  • April 26, 2021: NOA2, I-130s Approved
  • April 30, 2021: NVC Received
  • May 01, 2021: Pay AOS and IV Bills
  • May 06, 2021: Submit AOS, Financial Docs and DS-260s
  • May 14, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Stepdaughter
  • May 21, 2021: Submit Civil Docs for Wife
  • June 25, 2021: NVC review for Stepdaughter, RFE submit additional Doc
  • July 08, 2021: Wife Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • August 31, 2021: Stepdaughter Documentarily Qualified by NVC
  • September 15, 2021: Received Interview Date from NVC, October 05, 2021
  • September 22, 2021: Passed physicals at Saint Luke's Extension Clinic
  • October 05, 2021: Interview at US Embassy Manila. Verbally approved by US Consul. Positive interview experience.
  • October 05, 2021: CEAC status changed to "Issued"
  • October 07, 2021: Passports tracking for delivery on 2GO Courier website
  • October 08, 2021: Passports with visas delivered.  "Visas on hand"
  • October 08, 2021: Paid Immigrant Fee
  • October 12, 2021: Temporary CFO Certificates Received
  • October 26, 2021 POE arrival at LAX
  • November 02, 2021 Social Security Cards arrive in mail
  • January 31, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Is Being Produced"
  • February 04, 2022: USCIS Status changed to "Card Was Mailed To Me"
  • February 07, 2022: Green cards received. 

30 minutes ago, @pamelapam said:

On my 221g that they gave me just stated "NBI LISTING HUSBANDS LAST NAME"

If the 221(g) letter does not mention AKA, then it seems you don't need to have any entry for the AKA field.  I would still recommend you list your married name under the AKA field anyway.  But with or without AKA, it is absolutely required that you have the proper entry under "Husband's Surname".

I still had my maiden name as my passport name at the time of my visa interview.  My NBI clearance was filled out this way, without any AKA --

Family Name:  <father's surname>

First Name:  <given name>

Middle Name:  <mother's maiden surname>

Husband's Surname:  <husband's surname>

Civil Status:  Married

When I applied for my NBI clearance, I did not need to present any ID showing my married name.  The NBI staff at the local office had no complaints with the IDs in my maiden name.

Edited by Chancy
added AKA recommendation

5 minutes ago, Chancy said:

If the 221(g) letter does not mention AKA, then it seems you don't need to have any entry for the AKA field.  I would still recommend you list your married name under the AKA field anyway.  But with or without AKA, it is absolutely required that you have the proper entry under "Husband's Surname".

I still had my maiden name as my passport name at the time of my visa interview.  My NBI clearance was filled out this way, without any AKA --

Family Name:  <father's surname>

First Name:  <given name>

Middle Name:  <mother's maiden surname>

Husband's Surname:  <husband's surname>

Civil Status:  Married

When I applied for my NBI clearance, I did not need to present any ID showing my married name.  The NBI staff at the local office had no complaints with the IDs in my maiden name.

When i asked the consul on how do i obtain this kind of document he told me they can put alies or something. That is what he told me 

1 minute ago, @pamelapam said:

When i asked the consul on how do i obtain this kind of document he told me they can put alies or something.

He meant the AKA field.  Put your married name there.  Also make sure to properly fill out the field for "Husband's Surname".  And of course, your civil status must be listed as "Married".

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.