5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I’m a pending AOS applicant with the combo card, standing in line at the DMV and have been asked to complete an application before entering where I list all my details. 

it asks:

are you a citizen? No of course 

Are you a legal permanent resident? No 

but then it asks:

Are you a qualified alien or non-immigrant under the Federal Immigration and Nationality Act and lawfully present in the United States?

I’m not sure what the answer should be? 

Edited by US2UK
Typo

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

The answer is yes.  Currently, you are a non-immigrant lawfully present in the US.

What state are you in?

Depending on the state, you may be in a limbo period where you have nothing to prove to the DMV that you are lawfully present while adjusting status, thus making it impossible to get a driver's license.  You may have to wait for your EAD card to qualify for a driver's license.  

Timeline
Just now, aaron2020 said:

The answer is yes.  Currently, you are a non-immigrant lawfully present in the US.

What state are you in?

Depending on the state, you may be in a limbo period where you have nothing to prove to the DMV that you are lawfully present while adjusting status, thus making it impossible to get a driver's license.  You may have to wait for your EAD card to qualify for a driver's license.  

Georgia

I do have my EAD card

thanks for the info! I couldn’t find anything online about it. It seemed like all the categories didn’t apply 

Timeline
8 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Answer is "Yes." You'll present both the EAD and the I-485 receipt notice: https://dds.georgia.gov/media/5596/download

The EAD is also known as "I-766." See the top left hand corner of the back of your EAD:

ead-back.jpg

Ahh ok this makes sense now! I kept seeing I-766 work permit or whatever the wording was. But I kept thinking that can’t be it as it should be I-765. I didn’t realise the card has its own code! Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.