klam133

Opening up a Joint Account with my now Wife (k1 Visa) on Fidelity

4 posts in this topic

I am thinking of opening up a joint account with Fidelity Cash Management with my now wife (k1 visa).

She already have her SSN and we are in the process of filling out her AOS applications. 

My question is can we open up the account with her SSN only?

I tried to talk to the representative and he gave me a very vague answers. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline

@klam133

They may ask her to fill out a W8-BEN because she is a foreigner currently with no status (that you can show with a document) other than waiting to be an LPR.. They don’t really know how to classify a K1 because her visa expired upon entry and she has no greencard. The government requires them to have certain documents on file for their account holders.  It’s a legit request so do it. 

Edited by Wuozopo

1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

@klam133

They may ask her to fill out a W8-BEN because she is a foreigner currently with no status (that you can show with a document) other than waiting to be an LPR.. They don’t really know how to classify a K1 because her visa expired upon entry and she has no greencard. The government requires them to have certain documents on file for their account holders.  It’s a legit request so do it. 

1 minute ago, Wuozopo said:

@klam133

I was able to open it. They saying as long as she resides in the US, we should not have issues with the account. 
Thank you

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: England
Timeline
5 minutes ago, klam133 said:

I was able to open it. They saying as long as she resides in the US, we should not have issues with the account. 
Thank you

Good. Some financial institutions are stricter and want proof of a long term visa or a greencard. It’s really up to the institution and what they choose to require because it’s on them to satisfy the feds about their account holders.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.