Talako

Adult Kids

5 posts in this topic

We have 2 kids, one mine one hers, who are over 18 (20 & 25).  In completing the online N-400, they were entered in as related children.  In uploading documents, it asks to upload birth certificates and child support documents.

Is that really necessary?  We didn't expect that for adult kids, and we didn't have them available.  When we submitted everything else, a warning popped up on the screen about providing them.  However, it does says at the start that documents can be provided at the interview. 

Are they making an assumption that they are our together or that they are still minors?  We will have them available, but I am not sure how to prove a negative on the support requirement.  

Finally done.

Child support is part of the good moral character requirement for the requisite time of application (3/5 years). As the younger child would have been under 18 for part of this period, I assume that is why they are asking.

19 minutes ago, SusieQQQ said:

Child support is part of the good moral character requirement for the requisite time of application (3/5 years). As the younger child would have been under 18 for part of this period, I assume that is why they are asking.

It is my wife's filing, and the younger one is mine and not her obligation.  I guess I could provide a statement and a copy of the payment streams for my wife's interview.

Finally done.

6 minutes ago, Talako said:

It is my wife's filing, and the younger one is mine and not her obligation.  I guess I could provide a statement and a copy of the payment streams for my wife's interview.

If it’s yours (and you are a USC I presume) then I don’t think it’s necessary, and she can explain at interview if it comes up. If the birth certificate is submitted it will also be obvious it’s not her child.

1 minute ago, SusieQQQ said:

If it’s yours (and you are a USC I presume) then I don’t think it’s necessary, and she can explain at interview if it comes up. If the birth certificate is submitted it will also be obvious it’s not her child.

I'm the USC.  The N-400 was submitted, and I won't have the BC for a couple of weeks.  If there are any questions, I suppose they can be cleared up at the interview. 

Thank you for your time and answer.

Finally done.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.