Vancedia

Advance Parole and EAD renewal

24 posts in this topic

Hello, My Advance Parole and EAD card (combo card) will expire in May 2021. And I don't have my AOS interview appointment yet. I read that I don't need to pay a fee to renew my combo card so I want to make sure that's true and also, I will like some help with the steps to renew my combo card. What do I have to do/ send to renew it? Do I send again the Form I-131 and Form I-765?

Also, do I have to tear off the original document  were my combo card came from the first time, or can I send a copy? It is the paper that says '' tear-off portion that should be included with your application(s) to help speed up the process''

Thank you so much for all your help. 

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline

Send both forms again.

However, when filing, I believe there is a box that asks if you have a pending petition. Check that box so that you do not have to pay again.

Include a copy of your I-485 receipt. 

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

1 hour ago, Vancedia said:

I read that I don't need to pay a fee to renew my combo card so I want to make sure that's true

Only if you paid the full I-485 fee: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-485instr-pc.pdf

Filing Form I-485 with Forms I-765 and I-131

If you properly file Form I-485 and pay the required fees, you may file Form I-765 and Form I-131 without paying additional fees. You may file these forms together, or if you choose to file Form I-765 or Form I-131 separately, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence that you filed and paid for Form I-485.

43 minutes ago, Timona said:

However, when filing, I believe there is a box that asks if you have a pending petition.

There is no such question/box on the 2 forms. USCIS will figure it out based on the I-485 receipt notice copies (1 per form). On I-765, "Renewal of my permission to accept employment." box is selected and "(c)(9)( )" is the category.

Edited by HRQX

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Kenya
Timeline
6 minutes ago, HRQX said:

On I-765, "Renewal of my permission to accept employment." box is selected and "(c)(9)( )" is the category.

This 👆.

That is what I was referring to. Hahaa thanks for pointing the exact terminology.

Immigration journey is not: fast, for the faint at heart, easy, cheap, for the impatient nor right away. If more than 50% of this applies to you, best get off the bus.

22 minutes ago, HRQX said:

Only if you paid the full I-485 fee: https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/document/forms/i-485instr-pc.pdf

If you properly file Form I-485 and pay the required fees, you may file Form I-765 and Form I-131 without paying additional fees. You may file these forms together, or if you choose to file Form I-765 or Form I-131 separately, you must also submit a copy of your I-797C, Notice of Action, receipt as evidence that you filed and paid for Form I-485.

There is no such question/box on the 2 forms. USCIS will figure it out based on the I-485 receipt notice copies (1 per form). On I-765, "Renewal of my permission to accept employment." box is selected and "(c)(9)( )" is the category.

Thank you so much!! 

14 minutes ago, Timona said:

This 👆.

That is what I was referring to. Hahaa thanks for pointing the exact terminology.

1 hour ago, Timona said:

Send both forms again.

However, when filing, I believe there is a box that asks if you have a pending petition. Check that box so that you do not have to pay again.

Thank you so much!!

On 12/30/2020 at 8:41 PM, Timona said:

Send both forms again.

So I am filling up my form I-131 and there is a section that is asking me: ''Have you ever before been issued a reentry permit or Refugee Travel Document? (if ''yes'' give the following information for the last document issued to you)'' So I am going to say yes but there is a section that says disposition, in that section should I write ''attached'' since my combo card is not expired yet and send my original card or should I write attached and send a copy of the card? 

disposition-travel-document.jpg

On 12/30/2020 at 9:24 PM, HRQX said:

So I am filling up my form I-131 and there is a section that is asking me: ''Have you ever before been issued a reentry permit or Refugee Travel Document? (if ''yes'' give the following information for the last document issued to you)'' So I am going to say yes but there is a section that says disposition, in that section should I write ''attached'' since my combo card is not expired yet and send my original card or should I write attached and send a copy of the card? 

14 minutes ago, Vancedia said:

''Have you ever before been issued a reentry permit or Refugee Travel Document?

The answer in your case is "No."

Reentry permit is also called Form I-327. Refugee Travel Document is also called Form I-571. So you received neither of those two. You received Advance Parole which is also known as Form I-512.

Edited by HRQX

On 12/30/2020 at 10:17 PM, Vancedia said:

Hello, My Advance Parole and EAD card (combo card) will expire in May 2021. And I don't have my AOS interview appointment yet. I read that I don't need to pay a fee to renew my combo card so I want to make sure that's true and also, I will like some help with the steps to renew my combo card. What do I have to do/ send to renew it? Do I send again the Form I-131 and Form I-765?

Also, do I have to tear off the original document  were my combo card came from the first time, or can I send a copy? It is the paper that says '' tear-off portion that should be included with your application(s) to help speed up the process''

Thank you so much for all your help. 

Yes, EAD and AP initial and renewal applications are free if you have a pending I-485. Only things you need to submit are:

1. Form I-765

2. Form I-131

3. Copy of I-485 receipt notice

4. Copy front and back of the previous combo card

19 minutes ago, Vancedia said:

The answer to that question is no. Re-entry permit (I-327) and Refugee travel document (I-571) are passport-like booklets issued respectively to permanent residents who might want to leave US for more than 1 year but less than 2 years, and to people granted asylum, refugee status, permanent residents who got their status via asylum/refugee status, or in exceptional cases people with pending asylum applications for brief travel abroad. They can be used in lieu of a passport for international travel in some cases (most countries will accept a refugee travel document, only some will accept a re-entry permit). USCIS wants you to return them to them before they issue you a new one.

Contradictions without citations only make you look dumb.

On 1/1/2021 at 1:36 PM, Demise said:

Yes, EAD and AP initial and renewal applications are free if you have a pending I-485. Only things you need to submit are:

1. Form I-765

2. Form I-131

3. Copy of I-485 receipt notice

4. Copy front and back of the previous combo card

The answer to that question is no. Re-entry permit (I-327) and Refugee travel document (I-571) are passport-like booklets issued respectively to permanent residents who might want to leave US for more than 1 year but less than 2 years, and to people granted asylum, refugee status, permanent residents who got their status via asylum/refugee status, or in exceptional cases people with pending asylum applications for brief travel abroad. They can be used in lieu of a passport for international travel in some cases (most countries will accept a refugee travel document, only some will accept a re-entry permit). USCIS wants you to return them to them before they issue you a new one.

Thank you for all the help. I feel bad asking more questions. I think these are my last questions. They are a little bit dumb but I just want to be 100% sure:

Form I-765
1. Does my SSN expires as well as my combo card? Do I have to apply for another one or the question below is just for new applications?

image.jpeg.d33ec28e1e4767c9d34d446b23f641f7.jpeg

2. Is my AP a travel document? Should I use the number of the document here? And I don’t know what to say in question 24 and 25 (picture below).

image.thumb.jpeg.8642fc0b5c8d0863c04b8daed1db2acf.jpeg

3. And I don’t know what to say in this section either.

image.jpeg.681df731bcc31ee69fc58b6a649ea38e.jpeg

image.png

image.png

Edited by Vancedia

or the question below is just for new applications?

image.jpeg.d33ec28e1e4767c9d34d446b23f641f7.jpeg

Answer "No" for #14 and leave #15 blank.

After you receive the Green Card go to your local SSA office to get a card with same number but without restricted wording: https://www.ssa.gov/ssnumber/cards.htm

Shows your name and Social Security number and lets you work without restriction.

We issue it to:

• U.S. citizens; and
  • People lawfully admitted to the United States on a permanent basis.

Should I use the number of the document here? And I don’t know what to say in question 24 and 25 (picture below).

image.thumb.jpeg.8642fc0b5c8d0863c04b8daed1db2acf.jpeg

21.c is asking about Refugee Travel Document or Reentry permit. You have neither.

How did you last enter the US? That is what #24 is asking.

And I don’t know what to say in this section either.

image.jpeg.681df731bcc31ee69fc58b6a649ea38e.jpeg

Leave it completely blank. You are not applying for Reentry permit. You are applying for Advance Parole.

Edited by HRQX

21 hours ago, Vancedia said:

Thank you for all the help. I feel bad asking more questions. I think these are my last questions. They are a little bit dumb but I just want to be 100% sure:

Form I-765
1. Does my SSN expires as well as my combo card? Do I have to apply for another one or the question below is just for new applications?

2. Is my AP a travel document? Should I use the number of the document here? And I don’t know what to say in question 24 and 25 (picture below).

3. And I don’t know what to say in this section either.

1. No, SSN is issued for life. If you misplaced the card you can use this form to get a replacement, but other than that put no on #14 and leave #15 blank.

2. Not in the meaning of this form. For this form "travel document" means that you entered US last on something other than a passport (e.g. refugee travel document, or some form of WHTI document). Leave that part (21.c. and 21.d.) blank.

For 24, put down what visa you entered on last of if you entered on AP put down "Parolee (AOS Advance Parole)". For current immigration status, put down "pending I-485".

3. Leave blank, you are not applying for a re-entry permit.

Edited by Demise

21 hours ago, Demise said:

1. No, SSN is issued for life. If you misplaced the card you can use this form to get a replacement, but other than that put no on #14 and leave #15 blank.

2. Not in the meaning of this form. For this form "travel document" means that you entered US last on something other than a passport (e.g. refugee travel document, or some form of WHTI document). Leave that part (21.c. and 21.d.) blank.

For 24, put down what visa you entered on last of if you entered on AP put down "Parolee (AOS Advance Parole)". For current immigration status, put down "pending I-485".

3. Leave blank, you are not applying for a re-entry permit.

Do I need to send again Two RECENT passport color photos with A-Number written on the back like I did before? 

12 minutes ago, Vancedia said:

Do I need to send again Two RECENT passport color photos with A-Number written on the back like I did before? 

Per the instructions, it's 2 per form so a total of 4.

I'll just note that in my renewal applications I didn't include them and I didn't have issues.

3 hours ago, Vancedia said:

Instructions say to do so, from personal experience they just use the photo from biometrics, so you don't have to. Only time I've seen an RFE for pictures was for an I-485, I-765, and I-131 filed for a kid under the age they conduct biometrics.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.